• Jan 26th, 2020 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8884 posts
4095 upvotes
Markham

Staying healthy and clean - travel routines, habits etc

I saw this video of Naomi Campbell's Airport Routine not long ago and I thought it was pretty obsessive but likely not out of line IMO.

Creating this thread for ppl to perhaps post their own suggestions/hints/tips or even products they use when they travel. It doesn't have to be Airport only, hotel tips are also appreciated. As well, this thread doesn't have to be "clean" related, what items do ppl bring with them on flights is also good info (eg. I added ear plugs, melatonin, compression socks, Trtl knock off pillow).

In the past, I've never "wiped" everything down but I'm going to be doing this from now on. Ppl may look at you and think you're strange at first but secretly they're likely to say to themselves it's a good idea and question why they aren't doing the same.

One of my co-workers say they take an aspirin before every flight....anyone else do this?

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
37 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1584 posts
571 upvotes
I have known a bunch of people that get sick after they fly. Common denominator has been getting a drink on the plane with ice. Ice machines in restaurants are rarely cleaned (1st hand knowledge) I can only imagine on a plane.
If you get a drink, skip the ice and only get stuff out of a can or bottle.
Alex
Nov 26, 2012
196 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
I always wipe down everything when I get on the plane. No one has every looked at me funny for it. I don't make a big deal, I just quickly do it. I also apply a layer of physical sunblock (zinc oxide/titanium dioxide) as a protectant for my skin from the dry and recirculated air (its fully absorbed, no white mask). This is a derm recommendation. Also important if you are in a window seat and its sunny out. Staying hydrated is so important on a flight so I bring a big bottle of water if the flight is over 4 hours (it's the one thing I pay for at the airport as the little cups of water is not enough).

I saw a video that said don't drink the coffee or tea because the brewing machine is only cleaned after x number of days or flights. This is extremely sad on long flights but I really believe it.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2048 posts
2118 upvotes
I wash my hands when I use the bathroom and shower every day.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18185 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
I just wear a full hazmat suit whenever I travel. It's a lot more convenient than the steps in that video.

Seriously though, I take public transit or ride my bike every day, so my regular routine already protects me from a dirty environment to my satisfaction. Facial moisturizer, hand washing, long sleeves, and water are great.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jan 12, 2020
13 posts
It's always freezing in planes so I'm bringing my long pyjama and a hoodie. And that's pretty much it personally
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6606 posts
5494 upvotes
Toronto
13inches wrote: I wash my hands when I use the bathroom and shower every day.
Don't forget to wash your 13inches too every day
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1248 posts
860 upvotes
GTA West
Yeah, wipes for the all the hard surfaces and headrest. But I have problems finding wipes that are antibacterial, but don't have an offensive odour that may disturb other pax. (like the VIM ones). These are also handy in the hotel for the remote control, phone, toilet flush lever, etc. Any surface that gets a lot of hands on it but is unlikely ever to be sterilized by hotel staff. They are also useful in washrooms.

You want to have a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket, to use after you have taken your food from a buffet using tongs and spoons, or before eating on the plane. We got into this habit during our recent India trip and it quickly became second nature.

Our noise cancelling Bose headsets really reduce the fatigue of a long flight with droning engines. They are also useful in noisy hotel rooms.

I carry a mini-pharmacy and it takes up very little space. Chewing gum for take-offs and landings. Gravol, Aspirin, Advil, Pepto tablets, Immodium, Drixoral, Azithromycin (if I have it) and dehydration powder in tablet form that you can drop into a water bottle. 100 ml containers of sunblock and DEET. Bandaids, a small tube of neosporin and a 30 ml bottle of merthiolate. All this and more in a small plastic tackle box carried in my personal item.

I actually carry 3 clear plastic tackle boxes in my personal item, that accommodate all my chargers, adapters, spare batteries, toothpaste/brush, floss, travel shaver, nail clipper, luggage scale, etc. etc. It is easy find anything, and for security personnel to inspect. I usually replenish these after a trip and replace dated meds so that I am ready for the next one. All my daily use items are replicated so I don't need to take my daily use things from the bathroom when I go away. The boxes I am referring to are made by Plano and sold at Can Tire or Amazon - they come with different arrangements of the internal compartments.

Finally, I now have a checklist that I use to remember all the items I need to pack and attend to for a trip. 50 years ago I just needed a shaver and a toothbrush to get on the plane, but these days our travel has become much more complicated!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12371 posts
7247 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Wipe everywhere that you'll be touching. Drink bottle water only. Wear facemask that filters out airborne viruses. Wipe hands with anti-bacteria wipes after using washroom.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8884 posts
4095 upvotes
Markham
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Yeah, wipes for the all the hard surfaces and headrest. But I have problems finding wipes that are antibacterial, but don't have an offensive odour that may disturb other pax. (like the VIM ones). These are also handy in the hotel for the remote control, phone, toilet flush lever, etc. Any surface that gets a lot of hands on it but is unlikely ever to be sterilized by hotel staff. They are also useful in washrooms.

You want to have a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket, to use after you have taken your food from a buffet using tongs and spoons, or before eating on the plane. We got into this habit during our recent India trip and it quickly became second nature.

Our noise cancelling Bose headsets really reduce the fatigue of a long flight with droning engines. They are also useful in noisy hotel rooms.

I carry a mini-pharmacy and it takes up very little space. Chewing gum for take-offs and landings. Gravol, Aspirin, Advil, Pepto tablets, Immodium, Drixoral, Azithromycin (if I have it) and dehydration powder in tablet form that you can drop into a water bottle. 100 ml containers of sunblock and DEET. Bandaids, a small tube of neosporin and a 30 ml bottle of merthiolate. All this and more in a small plastic tackle box carried in my personal item.

I actually carry 3 clear plastic tackle boxes in my personal item, that accommodate all my chargers, adapters, spare batteries, toothpaste/brush, floss, travel shaver, nail clipper, luggage scale, etc. etc. It is easy find anything, and for security personnel to inspect. I usually replenish these after a trip and replace dated meds so that I am ready for the next one. All my daily use items are replicated so I don't need to take my daily use things from the bathroom when I go away. The boxes I am referring to are made by Plano and sold at Can Tire or Amazon - they come with different arrangements of the internal compartments.

Finally, I now have a checklist that I use to remember all the items I need to pack and attend to for a trip. 50 years ago I just needed a shaver and a toothbrush to get on the plane, but these days our travel has become much more complicated!
This is a good idea.

I actually carry 3 clear plastic tackle boxes in my personal item, that accommodate all my chargers, adapters, spare batteries, toothpaste/brush, floss, travel shaver, nail clipper, luggage scale, etc. etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1167 posts
1234 upvotes
BC
Other stuff: noise-cancelling headphones, plastic bag to put stuff into seat pocket (never use without it as people stuff dirty diapers into it), foot hammock (to elevate feet), eyemask, inflatable travel pillow, USB cords, chargers, outlet splitter (to share outlet plugs), plastic bottle to fill after clearing security and before getting on plane.

At hotel, wipe down all handles, phones, surfaces and TV remotes. Bring own cup or wash glasses provided as it may have simply been rinsed. Throw off the bed cover (as never cleaned). Bring own slippers.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4917 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
After i saw this a few years ago. I started to wipe down everything before i sit down on a plane.

HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6013 posts
1029 upvotes
To properly disinfect surfaces, they need to be cleaned first if they’re soiled. Then the disinfectant needs to be applied for a required minimum contact time. Quick, someone tell her that she isn’t accomplishing much Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Does she realize that every time she touches the outside of her mask...she’s touching whatever has landed on it with her hand. If she takes it off, stores it, and then takes it out and puts it on again several times, that thing and her hands could be in contact with droplets of virus that you don’t want near your face if you’re trying to avoid illness.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1248 posts
860 upvotes
GTA West
WetCoastGuy wrote: Other stuff: noise-cancelling headphones, plastic bag to put stuff into seat pocket (never use without it as people stuff dirty diapers into it), foot hammock (to elevate feet), eyemask, inflatable travel pillow, USB cords, chargers, outlet splitter (to share outlet plugs), plastic bottle to fill after clearing security and before getting on plane.

At hotel, wipe down all handles, phones, surfaces and TV remotes. Bring own cup or wash glasses provided as it may have simply been rinsed. Throw off the bed cover (as never cleaned). Bring own slippers.
Yup, we always stuff medium and large ziploc bags into the outside zipper pockets of our suitcases. Good for lots of things like carrying moist towelettes in your pocket or purse. I also put some plastic tie wraps that are useful to fix broken straps and replace locks etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1369 posts
307 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I always make a packing list before a trip. I actually keep it on my computer and modify it, regarding on where we travel to.