Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
130 posts
13 upvotes

Staying warm in Siberia

Hey guys,

Edit: I'm a guy!

So as Canadians I think most of us are not newbies at staying warm in cold climate. However, in February I'm going to Siberia and I'm looking for a winter jacket and winter boots that are appropriate for walking in the city at temperatures of -25C, maybe as low as -35C. I have a skiing outfit that's warm enough but I'd like something that looks alright for walking in the city, with good materials. As for boots, mine have always been fine for quick 20-30 minutes strolls but I've never had proper boots that are warm and comfortable for extended periods of time spent outside. I'd like warm "city boots" that go up above the ankle but that keep warm.

I kinda like the look of these but they're quite expensive and I have no idea if the materials are appropriate for my purposes. My budget is ideally $400-700, and lower is better.
https://www.sportsexperts.ca/en-CA/p-bi ... 2/316022-1
https://www.sportsexperts.ca/en-CA/p-ma ... 6/328166-1

As for boots, I have no idea what I'm looking for. It seems like all the "sports" outlets have trekking/walking boots and I'm not convinced that they'll be good for staying outside. My budget is $150-300.

I would really appreciate suggestions.
Thanks
12 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
130 posts
13 upvotes
eiad77 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:46 pm
Check out Eddie Bauer. They have good stuff and good sales. For boots, I would get Sorel. Also make sure you have wool socks and good mittens.

This jacket is $145 (60% off and rated to -40): https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens- ... ype=&size=
Oh wow that does look good, thanks. Seems like -40F is the rating for "moderate activity" and I don't imagine walking around qualifies. I need to be comfy at -25C when walking. I'll look into the rating though.
Jun 12, 2009
602 posts
176 upvotes
OP, Canada Goose is not gonna cut it here. I'd say layers: merino wool, down, then down with wind/waterproof Goretex barrier. The boots better be heavily insulated. Goretex gloves, real fur trappers hat. For pants, I'd wear insulated ski pants, nothing less.

On second thought, keep vodka on you at all times; when that frost starts sneaking in on your pinkies, start pulling on that flask.

[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
130 posts
13 upvotes
FastFret wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:23 pm
OP, Canada Goose is not gonna cut it here. I'd say layers: merino wool, down, then down with wind/waterproof Goretex barrier. The boots better be heavily insulated. Goretex gloves, real fur trappers hat. For pants, I'd wear insulated ski pants, nothing less.

On second thought, keep vodka on you at all times; when that frost starts sneaking in on your pinkies, start pulling on that flask.

With any luck I won't have to be outside at those temperatures, thankfully I'll be in the south of Siberia where -41C is a rare occurrence, I expect temps from -20 to -35C. Still unpleasant :P
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2816 posts
637 upvotes
Edmonton
Just wear regular clothes. I work outside at -40 and -50. My buddy came from Siberia (yakutsk) and just regular clothes.

From the sounds of it you need to man up
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11279 posts
1391 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
djzapz wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:31 pm
With any luck I won't have to be outside at those temperatures, thankfully I'll be in the south of Siberia where -41C is a rare occurrence, I expect temps from -20 to -35C. Still unpleasant :P
LOL, bro... same temps as in Toronto in mid-Jan to early feb. Look what the ytube guy is wearing for -41C. Looks cheap af.... and the jacket has a faux fur collar. If you have the cash get the CG resolute. If not like others said, layering. When TO had the polar vortex in 2014 (-52C was lowest I saw) I wore a polartec/gortex balaclava, HH cold weather baselayer, 700 down mid-layer and a heavy Burton outer shell with black diamond guide gloves. Did not feel cold at all except for the facial skin exposed to the elements. As for boots, most peeps dont know insulated CSA work boots do a damn good job in the city. Go for Caterpillar, Timberland pro and wear a mid crew PHD smartwool socks. Even a light crew will do. Buy them at MEC. They have the entire smartwool line.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
130 posts
13 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:35 pm
Just wear regular clothes. I work outside at -40 and -50. My buddy came from Siberia (yakutsk) and just regular clothes.

Ah yes, "man up". Cool.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4445 posts
604 upvotes
+1 on layering ... and don't forget about the face ! balaclava or maybe so called neck warmer/tube that you can pull up on your face ...
and maybe for gloves try to get 2 pair so one can fit on top of other ...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4478 posts
469 upvotes
Markham
Can you buy in local? Might Be much cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7221 posts
1464 upvotes
Mississauga
Of the two you reviewed, the Arcteryx looks good - It's waterproof, windproof and Goretex. Wear Merino wool base layers.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1716 posts
283 upvotes
Clothing in Russia is pretty expensive from what I saw when I was there.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39390 posts
3596 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd have to agree with this one.
But if it gets cold... All you really need is the following

Long Johns (or some sort of layer beneath your pants)
Winter Boots
HAT IS A MUST
Gloves
Meh... whatever winter jacket is fine... As long as you're layered underneath.

If you're just walking around town... Then this is fine because you'll have times where you go into a store/restaurant, into transit, car, hotel etc...
If you're spending your entire time literally outside... Then its time to think cold weather socks, insulated hats, insulated pants, heavy boots etc...

The Keys are
-covering extremities. Gloves, Hats, Boots.
-LAying the upper. The mistake most people make it thinking all they need is a gigantic jacket and youre good... Nah... You'll stay warmer with a thin long sleeve shirt (Think marino... if youre cheap and get synthetics, make sure its waffle style for insulation), thin fleece/hoody, gortex shell on the outside.
-LAying the lower. Any thin layer under your pants