Home & Garden

Steam cleaner rentals

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2009 2:52 am
Mar 15, 2007
384 posts

Steam cleaner rentals

Are the steam cleaners you see at supermarkets any good? I need to clean some carpets soon, and I need to rent a steam cleaner in the GTA.
8 replies
Dec 31, 2003
188 posts
I rented one a couple of weeks ago from Loblaws. I guess it worked, the water I through out started clear and ended up black. Cannot really notice the difference visually as the carpet looked fairly clean anyways. Unit pretty easy to use. Cost me $50 and a couple of hours. Got a quote from some guy on Craigslist for $100.
Jul 31, 2002
124 posts
If you're moving out of a rental apartment, those rental "steam" (hot water) cleaners are OK. You add the hottest possible tap water, the machine heats it up another 5 degrees.. Don't bother buying the "defoaming" agent, it doesn't work. I would NOT use one of those rental machines for an apt. I intended to continue to live in - they are not cleaned much before you get it (just rinsed a bit with a hose.)
Feb 9, 2006
92 posts
They work okay..the water does come out dirtier than you can imagine. Just don't be tempted to go over the same area too much...especially if you have Berber. It'll take forever to dry and will end up smelling horrible.(musty/moldy)

p.s. try to get the newest looking machine too... some of the older ones don't have as good suction....
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2976 posts
I found that Home Depot machines were a bit cheaper than the supermarkets. The rental clerk also explained how to use it (even though instructions are on the machine) and the uphostery attachment, etc. I don't think the supermarket customer service staff will be able to help you if run into trouble or have questions, instead there's usually a phone # to call.
Dec 31, 1969
I say go to Home Depot. A machine is a machine right but still at the supermarket they don't really know too much about using it. If you go to Home Depot they will tell you how to use it sometime even start the machine for you (depends what you rent) and they can answer any questions you have. Plus you pay like 5 bucks for their tool insurance thing and you don't have to worry about paying them "X" amount of dollars to cover the machine.
6th rental is free.
Oct 8, 2008
3 posts
I have a couch and a stool I would like to get steam cleaned. Anyone know of a coin operated steam cleaner? I can put them in my car and bring them to the cleaner.

Perhaps there is one for the interior of cars or something like that.

It would need to be in the Toronto GTA

Dr. Sassafras
Mar 21, 2006
97 posts
I just moved in to a new place last week and cleaned my carpets with a rug doctor from Lowes. (Luckily lowes just opened a new store and i was able to get a new machine) . It did a pretty good job. This is what i did

1. Vacum the carpet thoroughly
2. Use the steam cleaner with a bit less than the recomeded amount of cleaning liquid (I bought the rug doctor liquid). Left the carpet for one whole day and everythign was good and dry after 24hours.

I dont think the liquid makes much of a difference. what the the macine does is that it use steam to loses up the dirt and hair hidden deep inside the carpet and then suck it with a powerfull built in vac.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6926 posts
I noticed at some place like Food Basics where they rent the "rug doctor" that if you rent between Mon to Wed they'll give you an extra day rental for free.
× < >