Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
STEAM

Dead Island $4.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2014 12:59 pm
Oct 30, 2013
19 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

[STEAM] Dead Island $4.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
75% off
Expiry:
April 4, 2014
More offers from STEAM
Dead Island is currently on sale on steam for $4.99. Normally this is 20 bux.

Also Dead Island Franchise is on sale for $12.49. Normally this is $49.99. This includes 6 items:
Dead Island, Dead Island: Ryder White DLC, Dead Island Riptide, Dead Island Ripper Mod, Dead Island: Riptide - Fashion Victim, Dead Island: Riptide - Survivor Pack

Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19156 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Franchise worth it?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2012
2585 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
If I had to use 2 words to describe this franchise I would use:

Technical Mess.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
3267 posts
6459 upvotes
London, Ontario
OP, it's not Dead Island that's on sale. It's the game of the year edition. You might want to mention that in the title. You should put Steam in the title as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
I put a few hours in this game, but got bored of it really quickly. Maybe it was just me though.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Nov 9, 2010
968 posts
1434 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I played through Dead Island on PS3 and loved it! It takes a little while before you get a hang of the combat and RPG mechanics, but I'd definitely recommend it.

Can't comment on the GOTY additional content or the performance of the game on PC, but my PS3 experience was rather bug-free.
Jun 19, 2010
264 posts
64 upvotes
If you're a single mode player, I'd suggest skipping this. If you're looking for a good co-op experience, the Dead Island franchise is one of my favourites.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11295 posts
6295 upvotes
Ontario
need to put PC in title :idea:
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Franchise worth it?
Nope. It was in a humble bundle awhile ago. The game just isnt fun. 90% of the first 4 hours will be you stomping zombies, and trying to deal with the horrible controls.
If it was just a stupid action game, it might have been fun. But they tried too hard to inject RPG elements to it, which ruined the game imo(weapon degradation being the biggest one)
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: Franchise worth it?
don't listen to the above poster... it's a really great game! definitely underrated, and one of my favorites. it's a first-person zombie RPG! gameplay almost kind of reminds be of Deus Ex: Human Revolution but with zombies. it's just so much fun!
Oct 19, 2013
900 posts
135 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: don't listen to the above poster... it's a really great game! definitely underrated, and one of my favorites. it's a first-person zombie RPG! gameplay almost kind of reminds be of Deus Ex: Human Revolution but with zombies. it's just so much fun!
Aside from being first-person and having RPG elements in them, do those two games even have anything remotely in common?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
I loved this game, both co-op and solo. Never really had problems with the controls.
Never got tired of stomping on zombies, just like Dead Space :D
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Never played this but always meant to get to it..
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2198 posts
2414 upvotes
The game does get repetitive, but its a lot of fun and well worth the $5. You should be able to get quite a bit of time out of it before it gets boring.
Apr 8, 2006
254 posts
133 upvotes
^ agreed. I enjoyed the game but not enough to bother with Riptide. It's been awhile but i recall appreciating that the zombies were just zombies, as opposed to classes of zombies (Left For Dead) or red-eyed aggression at night zombies (Dead Rising). Not knocking those games' decisions at all, but sometimes you just want vanilla zombies heh. In fact, the main issue I had with Dead Island is respawning mobs. I would have preferred actually clearing the island's zombie population as a goal.

Dead Island's trailer still ranks as one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y
Apr 18, 2011
372 posts
163 upvotes
Red Deer
The game is fun and best played with a co op partner. My gf and I played it through in its entirety and had a great time. It takes about 2 hours to really get going, so give it a real solid chance if you arent loving it from minute 1.

PS, the opening 5 min are some of my favorite 5 minutes in any game ever.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
3267 posts
6459 upvotes
London, Ontario
I found Dead Island to be great fun, even solo! I experienced a nasty bug on X360 that almost caused me to quit the game for good. I lost an orange weapon after throwing it (due to a disappearing glitch - never throw a weapon you care about - lesson learned) and since the game had autosaved before it happened, I dashboarded and when I loaded the game back up, I was missing 4 oranges, 1 purple, 1 blue, and 3 greens. I was outraged and didn't touch the game for about 2 weeks. But then I forgave it because I love the game and wanted to keep playing it. It can be quite intimidating solo when 5+ zombies come charging towards you. And the Arena dlc can be quite fun solo too as you can get outnumbered quite quickly if you are not standing in a "safe spot".

The durability early on sucks for most of the weapons you find, but you will soon find much better weapons. And upgrades and skills will help your weapons last much longer. Plus, when you get zombies on the ground, you can crouch down and punch them to death to save the life of your weapons. And playing this game with friends is great fun. The only thing I hated about Dead Island, aside from the bugs, was the horrible voice acting (think Just Cause 2 bad lol) and the quarantined zone (infinitely spawning crazed zombies).
Dec 23, 2007
492 posts
174 upvotes
Ottawa
This game is a horrid port to PC. I spend hours trying to find mods or something to get this game to actually be playable on my rig but to no avail. Check forums on the game, its a pretty prevalent problem.
Dec 12, 2007
326 posts
136 upvotes
London
Worth $5, and I only played single player. It's repetitive and quite buggy, but the zombie-killing is visceral, and graphics are fantastic.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)