Save 50% on The Secret of Monkey Island
39 replies
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
wow. just thinking back to this great game brings a smile to my face. :razz:
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
Great game - I have a comp account at Steam and have played virtually everything and the new MI editions are absolutely classic. New and old combined in an excellent mix.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7407 posts
1555 upvotes
Edmonton
Stupid steam and it's stupid sales :evil: .... lol. I keep buying games from them and spending money.

THANK YOU steam for having good sales on a regular basis! :) :) You guys rock!

Thanks, OP!
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4277 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
neat game! Thanks op!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
Jul 3, 2007
126 posts
28 upvotes
Requirements for the game unfortunately are beyond my means :cry:

[INDENT]"Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+"[/INDENT]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3579 posts
986 upvotes
Edmonton
Great game, brings back lots of memorys of the good old gaming days!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18498 posts
3146 upvotes
GTA West
So does Steam leave any kind of app running or resident DRM type app on your system when you are not using it? I do not want to load my system with crapware.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2946 posts
347 upvotes
Ottawa
ricsad wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 9:36 pm
Is this Monkey Island like Hugo House of Horrors?
The original Monkey Island wasn't like Hugo's House of Horrors, so I don't know what you're talking about. (The Hugo games used a text parser, but almost everything from Lucasarts has been point and click.)

I'm tempted to buy this just to show my support for future adventure game releases, but I think I'll just buy Riddick from Direct2Drive instead. :razz: (I mean, I have my original MI 1&2 CD within arm's reach as I type this!)
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 17th, 2009 10:07 pm
So does Steam leave any kind of app running or resident DRM type app on your system when you are not using it? I do not want to load my system with crapware.
No, you can close the Steam client when you're not using it. It's not the greatest app (it can be really slow sometimes), but it behaves itself.
Apr 20, 2005
693 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia
Jucius Maximus wrote:
To play your Steam purchased games, the Steam client must be running and you must be connected to the internet for verification on the Steam servers. (However, if you're not going to be connected to the internet, you can put the client in 'offline mode' instead. Keep in mind that it will still require a once every so often connect for verification though, even if you choose that mode.) Not playing the games? Feel free to close the client. It doesn't have any sort of terminate and stay resident behaviour. The DRM that Steam employs is wrapped in the executable file of each game, nothing more. If you choose to uninstall the client for some reason, it wipes itself out completely, leaving nothing (not even the games) behind.

Steam doesn't install any software beyond the client and the games you choose to download. It's spyware, crapware, adware and virus free. The DRM it wraps on the executable file is as unintrusive as DRM can possibly be.

All that was the long answer. In short, Steam is quite safe!

Edit: Oh yes, and the game in question is awesome, especially if you're a fan of point and click adventure games. This game is identical to the original, and you can choose to play it with the new graphics and sound, or the old. You can switch between them at any time during the game too, which is neat. The only thing removed as far as I can tell was the old style "you need the manual to find the right line" copy protection scheme. Well worth the five bucks. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1642 posts
419 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
I'm like you, too, and hate that. I have Steam and it is A-OK in my books. Just change the default from "start with windows" and its ready to roll.

Some titles install extra DRM, eg. GTA4 through Steam, but they are few and far between.
Feb 3, 2008
566 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
Sweet! Thanks for the deal OP. Never tried it....but I love these kind of games, dating back to King's Quest. Anybody remember that series? :D
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.

Ebay 71-0
Heatware 3-0 FS
Apr 16, 2006
701 posts
3 upvotes
WOW! That was soooo my price point for this game... Well worth it for this classic. Thanks for the tip OP!

Would've loved to play this on my PS3 in 1080P but nooooooo they had to only do it for the XBOX360 and PC download. Guess I got what I want in the end!
Jan 17, 2006
825 posts
173 upvotes
Mississauga
Awesome!!! I didn't know they were working on a remake of that great game!!!

Thanks a lot OP