• Mar 20th, 2017 12:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7187 posts
350 upvotes

Steam shower

I found this unit from homedepot.com US site. Unfortunately, they don't have it on the Canadian site nor Rona/Lowes does. I found some online stores who even offer free shipping. But I prefer to deal with local store as I assume they will probably sell installation service or can refer someone for installation. I don't want to just hire a plumber for installation who is not familiar with this. Does anyone know if any place in GTA sells steam shower ?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariel-SS-902 ... /205674008

Thanks for any advice.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4995 posts
692 upvotes
I don't know anyone selling this exact unit in the GTA but I have a similar unit, so here's some tips:
1. The shower head is really cheap. It's metallic painted plastic. You have to try hard to find a solid brass unit with a small handle that latches onto the existing rail.
2. The seat is useless. My unit is a slide in unit so it's not attached to the wall. That unit looks like it could be attached to the wall using screws. Be careful... I don't know who thought putting a seat on a glass wall was a good idea...
3. The handles are also metallic painted plastic. They likely used a hole saw to drill a 1" hole in the glass, so finding a replacement is basically impossible.
4. The hoses are likely EU/Asia 1/2" standard, so you'll need an adapter for our 3/8" standard outlets unless you specifically plumb for 1/2" connections. I would wait for delivery of the unit before adding/changing the shutoff.
5. The electrical connection is likely 240v/20A and bare wire. It's a 1.5/1.8kw steamer. It takes about 15 minutes to get to temperature vs 5 minutes with a 9kw system.

Once you get used to the quirks, it's a great unit at 1/4 the price of a real built-in unit.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7187 posts
350 upvotes
Thanks for all details.

Are you referring to the Home Depot unit on my post?

Did you buy it locally in GTA? How easy to find an installer ?

rf134a wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:50 am
I don't know anyone selling this exact unit in the GTA but I have a similar unit, so here's some tips:
1. The shower head is really cheap. It's metallic painted plastic. You have to try hard to find a solid brass unit with a small handle that latches onto the existing rail.
2. The seat is useless. My unit is a slide in unit so it's not attached to the wall. That unit looks like it could be attached to the wall using screws. Be careful... I don't know who thought putting a seat on a glass wall was a good idea...
3. The handles are also metallic painted plastic. They likely used a hole saw to drill a 1" hole in the glass, so finding a replacement is basically impossible.
4. The hoses are likely EU/Asia 1/2" standard, so you'll need an adapter for our 3/8" standard outlets unless you specifically plumb for 1/2" connections. I would wait for delivery of the unit before adding/changing the shutoff.
5. The electrical connection is likely 240v/20A and bare wire. It's a 1.5/1.8kw steamer. It takes about 15 minutes to get to temperature vs 5 minutes with a 9kw system.

Once you get used to the quirks, it's a great unit at 1/4 the price of a real built-in unit.
Oct 20, 2011
925 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
There is a Plumbing forum, (can't remember the name) that deals with these products on a daily basis and there thoughts are, that they're a cheap alternative to the customs ones available. The reason people purchase them is due to the price point being about 75% less than let's say Mr. Steam, Thermasol, Kohler, Steam Spa, etc. and to add to the price, Mr. Steam etc. doesn't include any thermostatic shower valving or enclosures. In the end, they've had many problems with longevity and even thought they try to convince the customer not to purchase, they still want it installed based on the low pricing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7187 posts
350 upvotes
My question is if there are stores selling it in GTA ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7187 posts
350 upvotes
Thanks a lot. Do you by any chance know if any of them sells installation service ? It is probably cheaper to buy online, shipping from out of town/country, but I am worry about finding someone to install....
MyDream1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:26 pm
Toronto Steam Showers
Discount Factory Direct Toronto Steam Showers

https://perfectbath.com/toronto-steam-s ... MwbRoWcGUk

Bath Emporium
5 Shields Court, Unit 100,
Markham, Ontario, L3R 0G3

http://bathemp.ca/Bath-Steam-Units/index.htmlKelowna, BC.

DXD Boston Machine

628 Lakeshore Rd E, Mississauga, ON L5G 1J4
Please contact Jeffrey : 289 775 2118
Oct 20, 2011
925 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
rdx wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:45 pm
I am worry about finding someone to install....
Steam Shower Installations Any licensed plumber should be able to do the installation as it's self contained, so you don't have to worry about the slope of the ceiling etc. Just change the location in the link.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4930 posts
882 upvotes
Whitby
Ariel has great install instructions, page 12 is hilarious:
http://www.steamshowersinc.com/_guides/ ... lation.pdf
[/In order to be tripped and fell down, pay more attention when you get into the steam room

People with hypertension or drunk are not allowed in the steam bath b]
nomdesplumes:

"I wonder if adding extra electrical outlets is considered an electrical installation?"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7187 posts
350 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
Steam Shower Installations Any licensed plumber should be able to do the installation as it's self contained, so you don't have to worry about the slope of the ceiling etc. Just change the location in the link.
I see. I am actually planning to replace my existing shower stall in the basement with the steam unit. The existing one is actually a drywall & tile unit built by my basement contractor but we don't know like it at all. That's why we are thinking to replace it with steam unit instead of just rebuilding the shower stall alone without functional difference. Hopefully, it is not too hard to knock down two sides of the tiled drywall at the existing location........

or should just buy a steam generator ? However, the current shower unit is only using a shower curtain in the front, and it does not/cannot fit a glass door (too narrow with about 16.5" opening, the contractor screwed it up ..........)

I am looking at their steam generators, they are like $2-3K each. Seems very high. I wonder how much they are selling those shower stall (no price listed). Could be $5k to $8k if the steam generator alone is so expensive.

http://www.bathemp.ca/viewcategory.php?id=35
Oct 20, 2011
925 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
The self contained units are great in that everything is included in one kit, unfortunately everyone that I've seen install them have a limited lifespan as they don't seem to last as many friends complain about I wish I could, or I wish it had, or I wish it didn't keep breaking down, or it's to tight a space and the list goes on.

The top steam generators (not listed by quality) are Steam Mist, Kohler, Mr. Steam, Steam Spa, Thermasol, to name a few. A steam shower is basically, a small, enclosed room with a vapor-tight door that is equipped with a steam shower generator, once you've gotten to that point most add a shower head or rain can, body sprays etc, but that's optional, and all those options generally require a thermostatic valve (3 main advantages to a thermostatic valve.

Without going into much details, steam showers have to be built differently than standard shower systems as they need a enclosed door, (some have a movable flat above the door opening), slanted ceiling for moisture drainage, a sealed waterproof membrane, special lighting for steam is required, porcelain rather than ceramic tile. That's the basics.

I remember Maymybonne talking about installing a custom steam shower with thermostatic shower valving later on this year in the basement, but I haven't seen him/her post for a while. I believe he/she was doing it themselves.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4995 posts
692 upvotes
I bought my unit at soak.ca, a local store here.

Virtually every steam shower comes out of the same factory. They might have different names or some minor tweaks to them, but they are the same. My local store does not install but contracts out to a bunch of people who have assembled and installed a few. That didn't give me much confidence in their installers so I assembled it myself and had a plumber install it. The assembly will determine the overall quality of the unit. If you take your time to pre-drill instead of using their self-tapping screws, the unit will just fit tighter. Self-tapping screws is such a sham... they don't actually work.

The price is referring to making an actual tile-based enclosure with proper schluter/ditra and shower pan/doors. The cheapest enclosure is the massive 6'x3' unit at Costco for around $900. Add in cost of materials, labour, etc and you're at close to $4k. I'm sure someone can do the enclosure for cheaper than $4k but I'm going off my cost of $20/sqft for tile. Add in the faucet and shower heads ($100-$10k), steam generator ($2-$20k) and it's quite expensive, depending on options and your tastes.
rdx wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:07 pm
Thanks for all details.

Are you referring to the Home Depot unit on my post?

Did you buy it locally in GTA? How easy to find an installer ?
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.