• Dec 26th, 2014 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2007
633 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto

Steam streaming machine

I am looking to se up a small machine attached to my tv to stream my backlog of steam games. I like the idea of a small form factor and was thinking of seeing if the Intel nuc or zotac zbox goes on sale for Boxing Day. Has anyone any experience using these to stream steam? I would be looking to play fps single player...and a variety of other games. The computer would be hard wired and the host is a newer i5 with 16gb of ram. I guess my biggest concerns around the small form factors are the video cards...

Here are a couple of the machines I am looking at

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=074281

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=065781

I'm just looking for some advice
32 replies
Oct 5, 2014
181 posts
26 upvotes
Desert Blume, AB
I have not found steam stream to be very good, laggy and the graphics really have to scale down for the network. Sorry, I've tried it only wirelessly on my a10-5800.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
stephenelsker wrote: I have not found steam stream to be very good, laggy and the graphics really have to scale down for the network. Sorry, I've tried it only wirelessly on my a10-5800.
+1 wirelessly to my htpc.

However we got rid of the crappy router and now have wifi through the Rogers modem now. Will try it again on Friday
Dec 26, 2007
633 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
stephenelsker wrote: I have not found steam stream to be very good, laggy and the graphics really have to scale down for the network. Sorry, I've tried it only wirelessly on my a10-5800.
I hear that through wifi it can be laggy...that is why I want to do hardwired.

Thanks for the info!
Jun 20, 2005
273 posts
22 upvotes
London
I use the i3 nuc version you had above but I am hardwired with cat 5e. Absolutely no issues with the streaming. Some minor issues of the games not shutting down on the host computer.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5143 upvotes
The only think the video card has to do on the end PC is decode H.264 video. As long as you have a solid network connection (wired if possible) and a strong client PC, you should have no worries
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Like Steam recommends, you should hardwire it. I've had no issues at all with an Intel NUC hardwired (gigabit).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
I tried it briefly wired via my Powerline adopter in the room where both the PCs are. Since the adopter has up to 4 ethernet connections, I plug both my mini gaming PC and my laptop to the powerline, and streamed from the mini to the laptop. It was pretty good lag wise (very little, but twitch shooters like COD might be a problem), the only thing is there is some slight "artifacting" in the video (since it's streaming as a compressed video I guess). You see some very slight pixelation.

I'm not sure whether the powerline is the best way to do it but it seemed okay. Since it's streaming direct from PC to PC, I'm assuming the mini PC sends the data "directly" to the laptop through the powerline adapter itself, which should result in a nice, lag-free experience. But it might actually be sending back to the router in the basement, and the router sending it "back" to the powerline again and to the laptop, which would not be very efficient I don't think...I'm not technical so I'm not sure what exactly happens in this scenario - does it simply go through the adaptor straight to the lapatop, or does it still have to travel to the router and be sent "back" to the powerline adaptor again.

But anyway, it wasn't bad at all except for the slight pixelation and very slight input lag (I'm taking like milliseconds maybe).
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Oct 5, 2014
181 posts
26 upvotes
Desert Blume, AB
Redmask wrote: Like Steam recommends, you should hardwire it. I've had no issues at all with an Intel NUC hardwired (gigabit).
I think that's silly, if it needed to be hardwired, it would be easier to bring the computer upstairs, or my body downstairs, than figure out a more-than-temporary solution for running cables and investing in a gigabit router.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
stephenelsker wrote: I think that's silly, if it needed to be hardwired, it would be easier to bring the computer upstairs, or my body downstairs, than figure out a more-than-temporary solution for running cables and investing in a gigabit router.
Fair enough. It might not work with your particular setup but if you go wireless you do so with the caveat that In Home Streaming doesn't work as well as it does over a hard wired setup. When used as recommended by Valve it functions very well.
Dec 26, 2007
633 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
stephenelsker wrote: I think that's silly, if it needed to be hardwired, it would be easier to bring the computer upstairs, or my body downstairs, than figure out a more-than-temporary solution for running cables and investing in a gigabit router.
I ran network cable when I renovated...never know when you need it!

Thanks all!
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
Maximize wrote: I tried it briefly wired via my Powerline adopter in the room where both the PCs are. Since the adopter has up to 4 ethernet connections, I plug both my mini gaming PC and my laptop to the powerline, and streamed from the mini to the laptop. It was pretty good lag wise (very little, but twitch shooters like COD might be a problem), the only thing is there is some slight "artifacting" in the video (since it's streaming as a compressed video I guess). You see some very slight pixelation.

I'm not sure whether the powerline is the best way to do it but it seemed okay. Since it's streaming direct from PC to PC, I'm assuming the mini PC sends the data "directly" to the laptop through the powerline adapter itself, which should result in a nice, lag-free experience. But it might actually be sending back to the router in the basement, and the router sending it "back" to the powerline again and to the laptop, which would not be very efficient I don't think...I'm not technical so I'm not sure what exactly happens in this scenario - does it simply go through the adaptor straight to the lapatop, or does it still have to travel to the router and be sent "back" to the powerline adaptor again.

But anyway, it wasn't bad at all except for the slight pixelation and very slight input lag (I'm taking like milliseconds maybe).
Of course it's going through the router. The powerline adapters are just that, they are not routing devices, they're simply network adapters. I assume you're using a straight forward powerline setup where you have one adapter connected to your router/switch (that extends your network to your power lines) and then two more powerline adapters connecting your PCs to your now extended network along power lines. There is no direct connection between your PCs in this type of setup. All network traffic on the powerlines still goes through your router and is subject to whatever routing policies you have there.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
qualdoth wrote: Of course it's going through the router. The powerline adapters are just that, they are not routing devices, they're simply network adapters. I assume you're using a straight forward powerline setup where you have one adapter connected to your router/switch (that extends your network to your power lines) and then two more powerline adapters connecting your PCs to your now extended network along power lines. There is no direct connection between your PCs in this type of setup. All network traffic on the powerlines still goes through your router and is subject to whatever routing policies you have there.
Even more straightforward than that actually. Just one Powerline adaptor for both PCs (and the other connected to the router of course).

The Powerline has 4 Ethernet ports for 4 devices/QOS management. So that's why I'm wondering if it's simply streaming through the adapter itself straight to the second PC, and bypassing the router entirely.

Come to think of it, I think there is an easy way to test this. Just turn off the router and see if the first PC will still continue streaming the game to the laptop. Since technically Steam streaming doesn't need the "internet" per se. I should probably just try for fun later today, see if it still streams. If so, then sounds like its doing it through the Powerline adapter itself.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
Ah I see, that looks like basically a powerline switch adapter. If that does have some brains, then yeah, it might be doing some basic routing (although you would still need your normal router for DHCP and all that anyways).

Another way to test it might be to log into your router and see if you're seeing any local network traffic going through the relevant ports on your router while streaming steam.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Yeah, will try later today if I remember. The only reason I'm curious is because I get a little bit of input lag and some slight pixelation, despite being wired (unless even with the best connection there will still be some very slight lag anyway), so I'm wondering if maybe it's because it's going through the router rather than direct from PC to PC through the powerline.

The performance was still generally very good anyway, I'm not complaining or anything.
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
The effect of it going through the router (even if it is) would still be pretty negligible, I think.
Oct 25, 2012
184 posts
60 upvotes
OSHAWA
Have you considered going a little bit more expensive and just getting a console killer PC instead of streaming? Here's a quick build for $500 that would run most current games in 1080p60 and crush anything a year or two old.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($116.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($52.05 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series :D T01ACA 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.25 @ DirectCanada)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M5050 Wired Optical Mouse ($4.75 @ DirectCanada)
Other: Windows Activation Key
Total: $536.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 23:26 EST-0500
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
^GTX 750 Ti will be a problem. Especially at only 2GB. Current-gen games are already pushing 4GBs and above on higher graphics settings. It can definitely run 1080p/60, but compromises will need to be made with other graphics options.
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
BatmanRFD wrote: Have you considered going a little bit more expensive and just getting a console killer PC instead of streaming? Here's a quick build for $500 that would run most current games in 1080p60 and crush anything a year or two old.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: *Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.11 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($35.00)
Case: Silverstone ML06B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-R8 PWM 31.4 CFM 80mm Fan ($16.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan ($18.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $437.57
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 10:34 EST-0500
The problem with this for many of us is that we simply have no desire to have a butt ugly case in a living room. Building a mid-range gaming PC in a small and attractive case isn't a problem, a higher end one is definitely more of an issue. For comparison's sake, here an HTPC that I'm currently building that may become a light gaming PC in the future:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: *Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.11 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($35.00)
Case: Silverstone ML06B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-R8 PWM 31.4 CFM 80mm Fan ($16.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan ($18.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $437.57

You'll notice there isn't a dedicated video card on that list, but I will likely be adding a middle of the run card and some more RAM at a later date for when/if I decide to do any gaming on it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)