Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
STEAM

The Witcher 3 GOTY $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 2:30 am
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1100 posts
236 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote: Should I bother trying Witcher 1 and 2 first? I heard the mechanics are clunkier in those games but I don't want to miss a ton of story and character development.
Witcher 1 took me around 40 hours, Witcher 2 is short.

I like 1 better than 2, but the graphics on 1 are dated.

None of these are must play though.
Fido client
Tangerine client.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote: Witcher 1 took me around 40 hours, Witcher 2 is short.

W3 is 100-200 hours!
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1100 posts
236 upvotes
chadw01 wrote: W3 is 100-200 hours!
Yeah I know, he was asking about the other two
Fido client
Tangerine client.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
Vinotintazo wrote: Witcher 1 took me around 40 hours, Witcher 2 is short.

I don't really care about how long they are, more about not missing important plot points and characters that will be present or brought up in Witcher 3.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
VanceMendoza wrote: Should I bother trying Witcher 1 and 2 first? I heard the mechanics are clunkier in those games but I don't want to miss a ton of story and character development.
The first game is extremely outdated and doesn't hold up well. TW2 is still very good and holds up well, especially on PC. It is worth playing TW2 as it's only 15-20 hours long and importing your save into TW3 adds a lot of cool moments. That said It totally isn't nessecary to play TW2 and TW3 is far better in every way but but is it worth playing if you can spare the few dollars and the time to finish it.
VanceMendoza wrote: I don't really care about how long they are, more about not missing important plot points and characters that will be present or brought up in Witcher 3.
There's absolutely nothing "important" carried over. It's more some cool appearances and fan service moments that you get if you play TW2 first. It's not nessecary but it does enhance the experience
Last edited by ReeGee on Oct 19th, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2011
529 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
VanceMendoza wrote: I don't really care about how long they are, more about not missing important plot points and characters that will be present or brought up in Witcher 3.
Never played the first two and wasn't too lost about the characters. Sure they seem to know each other from long before but not knowing the previous events didn't make the game any less fun or made it seem like I was missing the back story.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
cayolargo wrote: Can you play this game for pc with a controller or you can play only with keyboard and mouse?
Like the vast majority of PC games, it work perfectly with a controller. Xbox controller work best because they have in game icons mapping.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9449 posts
11800 upvotes
Calgary
Iodine wrote: The dozens of hours you need to invest to really get anything out of this game far outweighs the monetary cost of buying it. The whole point of this forum is to discuss deals and whether they are worthwhile. Feel free to leave if that bothers you.
Sorry, this discussion about the possible quality of a game that is universally acclaimed that was started by ONE person clutters up the entire thread UNNECCESSARILY.
Jan 12, 2017
164 posts
210 upvotes
jdougie wrote: If you are a fan of story and immersive worlds this is a flat out buy. The books are all excellent and there are a few callbacks that I noticed (bought the physical disk, dropped it after 30 hours, read the books, nearly platinumed after buying the GOTY edition last year). The Blood and Wine expansion is by far my favorite DLC ever.

If you are not that type of person when you play an RPG and are looking for robust combat you may be disappointed.
This is a good post. I tried Witcher 3 in the past but it might have been shortly after I played Shadow of Mordor or some other action type of game. The combat in W3 can't hold a candle to true fighting games imo. While some argue the combat isn't good, I would argue it's repetitive and weak. I only played 12 or so hours. I think I finished the Baron story line but the lack of better combat, the tedious nature of repairing swords and armour ended up making the game not that fun for me. I'm not a big RPG guy, more of an action RPG guy and I was disappointed. At this price I'm tempted to give it another try because I do know some people that liked it more after giving it another chance. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Obviously the vast majority of people loved this game and it gets great reviews on Metacritic. But it won't be for everyone, especially those that love action RPGs or don't want to deal with some of the more tedious RPG things (inventory management, crafting - and you need to find specific blacksmiths for things, repairing armour, etc).
Jun 19, 2011
151 posts
212 upvotes
rudyjuly1972 wrote: ... But it won't be for everyone, especially those that love action RPGs or don't want to deal with some of the more tedious RPG things (inventory management, crafting - and you need to find specific blacksmiths for things, repairing armour, etc).
To be honest I played it at release and had the same issues. They put out some patches that improved some of those specific items. I believe repairs were changed to be less frequent/expensive and you can now repair anything at any smith, and crafting materials no longer have weight associated with them so much less inventory management.
Jan 12, 2017
164 posts
210 upvotes
jdougie wrote: To be honest I played it at release and had the same issues. They put out some patches that improved some of those specific items. I believe repairs were changed to be less frequent/expensive and you can now repair anything at any smith, and crafting materials no longer have weight associated with them so much less inventory management.
That sounds nicer. Did not know that they patched those things.
Dec 24, 2011
891 posts
634 upvotes
rudyjuly1972 wrote: This is a good post. I tried Witcher 3 in the past but it might have been shortly after I played Shadow of Mordor or some other action type of game. The combat in W3 can't hold a candle to true fighting games imo. While some argue the combat isn't good, I would argue it's repetitive and weak. I only played 12 or so hours. I think I finished the Baron story line but the lack of better combat, the tedious nature of repairing swords and armour ended up making the game not that fun for me. I'm not a big RPG guy, more of an action RPG guy and I was disappointed. At this price I'm tempted to give it another try because I do know some people that liked it more after giving it another chance. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Obviously the vast majority of people loved this game and it gets great reviews on Metacritic. But it won't be for everyone, especially those that love action RPGs or don't want to deal with some of the more tedious RPG things (inventory management, crafting - and you need to find specific blacksmiths for things, repairing armour, etc).
You could always play on Just the Story! mode so the combat is less intrusive to the overall gameplay.
Nov 23, 2012
475 posts
327 upvotes
Sherbrooke, Qc
ReeGee wrote: Blood and Wine is in my opinion the current bar for writing in a video game and overall quality of content in a game expansion. Other publishers would've called it The Witcher 4, charged $60 for it and no one would've complained. The writing in Blood and Wine is not only better than the vanilla game but it's the single most well written video game I've ever played period. It's also like 20-30 hours long. Hearts of Stone is excellent as well but Blood and Wine is in a league of its own.'

Xbox controllers are plug and play on Windows 10 and most games including TW3 have the actual Xbox button prompts in game. This game is definitely best played with a controller.
I couldn't have said it any better, well done.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1994 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
mattbooth wrote: Thanks OP, just bought a 1080ti ftw3 and this dell 1440p this month - looking forward to playing this :)
Let's enjoy 60fps+ on 1440 (remove the hairworks though, it's an instant 10fps hit)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1994 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
tostaky wrote: I'm on the merge of adding that game to my huge xbox one backlog....Since it's the third of the series shoul I read about the others two ?
Not really, you'll understand even if you don't know all the characters back stories. However, after playing this one, you might want to read the books.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1994 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
vonblock wrote: Like the vast majority of PC games, it work perfectly with a controller. Xbox controller work best because they have in game icons mapping.
I concur, Xbox controller is pretty much the best on PC. It is designed to play with a controller.
Aug 20, 2009
448 posts
471 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Blood and Wine is in my opinion the current bar for writing in a video game and overall quality of content in a game expansion. Other publishers would've called it The Witcher 4, charged $60 for it and no one would've complained. The writing in Blood and Wine is not only better than the vanilla game but it's the single most well written video game I've ever played period. It's also like 20-30 hours long. Hearts of Stone is excellent as well but Blood and Wine is in a league of its own.'
There is no denying that the writing is good but i wouldn't say the best ever. Witcher 3 stands out because the industry standard is rubbish. If the competition consists of Bethesduh and EABioware, writing anything decent is a masterpiece in comparison.

Off the top of my head I find the Legacy of Kain series, VtMB:Bloodlines, and Planescape:Torment better in terms of writing however Witcher 3 is superior overall due the fantastic production values and passable gameplay.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
piercezoner wrote: There is no denying that the writing is good but i wouldn't say the best ever. Witcher 3 stands out because the industry standard is rubbish. If the competition consists of Bethesduh and EABioware, writing anything decent is a masterpiece in comparison.

Off the top of my head I find the Legacy of Kain series, VtMB:Bloodlines, and Planescape:Torment better in terms of writing however Witcher 3 is superior overall due the fantastic production values and passable gameplay.
Silent Hill 2 holds the crown for me, and 1 and 3 aren't far behind either. Atmospheric, gripping, horrifying, action packed. Great characters, twisted introspection of self. Unique concepts and ideas. Good twists. It's the only game I find that can compete with the very best film stories ever written.
Jul 24, 2012
266 posts
132 upvotes
Canada
halcyon wrote: I'd disagree with the MMO aspect.

I'd feel the immersion might break if I had this somber, serious conversation with an NPC, and the guy beside me says "fo shizzle" :)

If one we're to get this on PC vs console, I guess PC is the way to go?
PC for sure unless you have a really outdated PC. There are a few mods available and any decent hardware will put console versions to shame. I just built a new PC and playing this in 4K is amazing. I've also tried it in 1440p and ultrawide and again it's no comparison to 1080p.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2240 posts
506 upvotes
Summerland
I just beat this game earlier today and put 100 hours into it. I really enjoyed it. Now I am going to play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.