Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
STEAM

The Witcher 3 GOTY $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 2:30 am
Dec 20, 2016
39 posts
33 upvotes
Saskatoon
The combat in The Witcher 3 is pretty much the definition of mediocre, I even had to put the game down for awhile after I first started it because of how generic I found the gameplay to be (trying to play it immediately after Bloodborne, a game with phenomenal combat, obviously didn't help that comparison) but when I jumped back in after that the rest of the game started coming into focus. The world is really well realized, it has some of the best quest-design, the characters are well-written. I still think the game is kinda over-rated (I hear a lot of people calling it "best RPG of all time" when it was more like... the 3rd or 4th best RPG of it's release year, in my books) but it's definitely still worth buying especially at that price.
Nov 9, 2010
654 posts
464 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Skizza306 wrote: The combat in The Witcher 3 is pretty much the definition of mediocre, I even had to put the game down for awhile after I first started it because of how generic I found the gameplay to be (trying to play it immediately after Bloodborne, a game with phenomenal combat, obviously didn't help that comparison) but when I jumped back in after that the rest of the game started coming into focus. The world is really well realized, it has some of the best quest-design, the characters are well-written. I still think the game is kinda over-rated (I hear a lot of people calling it "best RPG of all time" when it was more like... the 3rd or 4th best RPG of it's release year, in my books) but it's definitely still worth buying especially at that price.
You can make it feel like the Souls games by setting the difficulty to death march and never using the Quen sign. This will force you to analyze enemy attack patterns in order to dodge or parry just like in Souls games. Battles will start to look like this (Spoilers if you haven't played Heart of Stone):

Also avoid OP alchemy builds that allow you to mindlessly mash buttons and win even on death march difficulty.
Oct 3, 2006
999 posts
575 upvotes
wildzero wrote: I bought this a couple months ago, and I have to say its quite possibly the best game I've ever played.
I'm 100% agree.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
4626 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure if it's because I mainlined through the story in Blood and Wine, but that expansion did nothing for me. The pacing and character work was better in Heart of Stone, IMO, even if the overall plot is rather derivative.
manoy385 wrote: You can make it feel like the Souls games by setting the difficulty to death march and never using the Quen sign. This will force you to analyze enemy attack patterns in order to dodge or parry just like in Souls games.
Lords of the Fallen, maybe. Souls game? No. Predictable AI with limited movesets, wildly inaccurate hitboxes, and tons of invincibility frames on dodge. To say nothing about how easy it is to cheese most regular enemies.

I will say, though, the boss fights in the DLCs were a huge improvement over the main game. But even in that clip you showed the guy is literally just repeating the same 3 moves over and over while barely having to move an inch.
Nov 9, 2010
654 posts
464 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Iodine wrote: Lords of the Fallen, maybe. Souls game? No. Predictable AI with limited movesets, wildly inaccurate hitboxes, and tons of invincibility frames on dodge. To say nothing about how easy it is to cheese most regular enemies.
Bosses in Souls games can be predictable too with 5 or so movesets that change when they get to low health. Agree with the hitboxes and very forgiving dodge. It's a lot harder to cheese regular enemies in death march though since most fodder are fought in groups and one mistake can lead you to getting comboed to death. This is especially true in the beginning of the game where you don't have good gear/build and can die in a few hits.

Of course with the right build everything can be cheesed. You can even turn this game into Dynasty Warriors:

In the end, I was just suggesting how to make the gameplay closer to a Souls game. Of course it won't be exactly the same as that was not the goal of this game and the gameplay can vary greatly(good or bad) depending on how you build your character.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
4626 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
manoy385 wrote: Bosses in Souls games can be predictable too with 5 or so movesets that change when they get to low health. Agree with the hitboxes and very forgiving dodge. It's a lot harder to cheese regular enemies in death march though since most fodder are fought in groups and one mistake can lead you to getting comboed to death. This is especially true in the beginning of the game where you don't have good gear/build and can die in a few hits.

In the end, I was just suggesting how to make the gameplay closer to a Souls game. Of course it won't be exactly the same as that was not the goal of this game and the gameplay can vary greatly(good or bad) depending on how you build your character.
Absolutely. I don't mean to be overly harsh on the game (or conversely, holding up the Souls games as some perfect ideal). And if someone can make the combat more fun by challenging themselves, good on them.

But broadly speaking, there's only so much you can do to tweak the game to make it more challenging and fun because a lot of the problems with it are fundamental to the combat system itself. Death March makes it a lot harder to just burst down certain enemies or slug it out against others through sheer attrition, but it also has a tendency to make everything super spongey and make their limited movesets even more apparent (because now you're repeating the same parry/combo/dodge 10 times instead of 3). Which is a problem for a game that is over 100 hours long.

It's why I often recommend people who aren't really big RPG players to just turn down the difficulty all the way if they aren't having fun with it. Having played through the whole game on DM myself, it's not really worthwhile unless you're looking to get trophies.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Iodine wrote: It's why I often recommend people who aren't really big RPG players to just turn down the difficulty all the way if they aren't having fun with it. Having played through the whole game on DM myself, it's not really worthwhile unless you're looking to get trophies.
I usually recommend turning down the difficulty as well mostly because combat is only like 50% of this game if that. There's so much more to this game than combat so there's no sense in dragging out and prolonging an already long game with unnecessarily difficult combat encounters. Turn the difficulty down, enjoy feeling like an unstoppable monster slaying badass which is the entire point of being a "Witcher" which lets you enjoy the other aspects of the game like the story, world, exploration, Gwent etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
4026 posts
1858 upvotes
moofachuka wrote: think it'll go cheaper on Black Friday???
If you're interested in it and would play between now and Black Friday, consider getting it now.

If it does go on sale on Black Friday, I can't imagine it going below $20 USD which is ~$26. So you'd save maybe $1-2?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)