• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2017 1:15 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes

steel wheels..maintenance

I bought my steel wheels from Costco 2 or 3 years ago. I think this is my third season with them on with my winter tires. My concern is that it appears there is already some deterioration around the tire rim and lug nuts. I look around me at other peoples wheels and I notice most of them are in pristine condition. Are there some steel wheels that don't rust? why does everybody's look better than mine. Is there a place I can take my car to have them remove the tires and work on the rims to make them look like new and keep them protected from the elements?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In the spring, clean off any salt after taking them off before you store them. If you like, give it a quick coat of Rustoleum black paint.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
For a $50 steel rim ? The only thing that is important is that the bead around the tire is rust free or else it's going to leak.
Just buy a wire brush and a can of black rust paint and spray it or paint it with a brush, I painted mine silver/chrome to be different ...LoL
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
The only wheels that don't rust are aluminium ones. You can get cheap OEM wheels off kjiji or at the scrapyard.
Otherwise you need to clean and spray paint your steel wheels occasionally.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
engineered wrote: The only wheels that don't rust are aluminium ones. You can get cheap OEM wheels off kjiji or at the scrapyard.
Otherwise you need to clean and spray paint your steel wheels occasionally.
They have "winter alloy rims" which are basically unfinished/rough aluminum cast rims for around $99.99/ea at Canadian Tire these days.
Dec 7, 2009
529 posts
356 upvotes
B-Town
EdT586 wrote: For a $50 steel rim ? The only thing that is important is that the bead around the tire is rust free or else it's going to leak.
Just buy a wire brush and a can of black rust paint and spray it or paint it with a brush, I painted mine silver/chrome to be different ...LoL
Use a wire brush that you can use on a drill and go to town. Just did that and a couple coats of satin black Tremclad, look brand new.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2012
1092 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure your steelies are dry when storing them in the summer. A lot of people just put the steelies in the tire bags right after changing their tires and usually the rims are still wet from the melted snow on the road. The water gets trapped in the bag and sits there all summer.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Some folks lightly coat thier winter rims with cheap grease like petroleum jelly/ vasoline before the start of the winter season. This works with both steel and aluminum rims to protect the finish from salt damage.

Before the winter rims go on next winter, lightly rub the metal rims down. It will attract a light coating of dirt. An added bonus is it helps prevent snow from sticking.

You get cheap petroleum jelly/ vasoline at any dollar store.
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
hamandcheese wrote: Make sure your steelies are dry when storing them in the summer. A lot of people just put the steelies in the tire bags right after changing their tires and usually the rims are still wet from the melted snow on the road. The water gets trapped in the bag and sits there all summer.
I made that mistake with oem steel. I stacked them flat in bags and tarp over top. Water still got in and two of them were so bad that I replaced them. I built a rack and now they stand upright and covered with better quality tarp.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)