Food & Drink

Steelback Beers????? - Anyone tried them?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2005 3:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 21, 2004
209 posts
1 upvote
Pembroke, ON

Steelback Beers????? - Anyone tried them?

I was tempted to try one of them yesterday as they are only $28/for a 24, however I didn't want to get burned. Any thoughts ??? Do they taste similar to any other beer on the market?
12 replies
Jan 9, 2004
408 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
my friend said it was disgusting..thats all i know :cheesygri
Mar 29, 2003
343 posts
Ottawa
Don't they come in a plastic bottle? Not cool.

Check out www.ratebeer.com to see what some others think (I'll save you the time, they are gross). Remember, quality not quantity when it comes to beer :)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2989 posts
22 upvotes
Steelback is made up in Tiverton Ontario by D'Angelo (they make apple juice as well). Beer is so-so, you aren't supposed to drink it out of the bottle - pour it into a glass. Several brands are out and I've tried them all. Less than average, but worth a shot if you're into experimenting. Oh, and they have some real haters...

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp
this site is like a drug. Its forum is the drug dealer.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
Powderworker wrote:Don't they come in a plastic bottle? Not cool.

Check out www.ratebeer.com to see what some others think (I'll save you the time, they are gross). Remember, quality not quantity when it comes to beer :)
plastic bottle? ew...a good brew is drinking it as cold as can be in a bottle.....a GREAT brew would be drinking it out of a colder than cold keg....doesnt get better than that.....

but im not sure how reeliable others opinions on beer would be. everyone has their own taste and judgement....i hate dark beer but you can love it...so how would my opinion help ya...just my thought
Mar 29, 2003
343 posts
Ottawa
kornstar369 wrote:but im not sure how reeliable others opinions on beer would be. everyone has their own taste and judgement....i hate dark beer but you can love it...so how would my opinion help ya...just my thought
Yeah, I try to avoid beers that are the same colour going in as they are when they come out. Most Canadian and American lagers are just plain offensive - overcarbonated, bitter, and full of filler. If I do drink lager, usually it's from Germany, Czech Rep, or Poland. Very crisp, light tasting, and refreshing. They've been doing it for centuries, and still know how to do it right. I love ales though - especially anything with lots of character, subtle flavours, and interesting mouthfeel and colour. The Belgians have this brew nailed down. Stouts are great too - more than just Guiness. There are just so many options out there, I keep finding new favourites, and I can never stick to one brand.

When it comes to beers, a lot of things are subjective and depend on the person - like different styles. But, in a lot of cases when comparing within a certain style, I think it's very objective, where one beer can be clearly superior in many ways to another beer, and you'd be a fool to think otherwise :) Like.... Kozel Lager vs. Steelback Chain.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2004
209 posts
1 upvote
Pembroke, ON
kornstar369 wrote:try lakeport or carling ...twenty four for twenty four bux
yup, tried them all, even the Blue Ribbon sh!t. Lakeport Honey is ok, but that's about it.

Powderworker wrote:Don't they come in a plastic bottle? Not cool.

Check out www.ratebeer.com to see what some others think (I'll save you the time, they are gross). Remember, quality not quantity when it comes to beer
I didn't even know about the plastic bottle thing. Thanks for the info

Rate a Beer.com - Steelback comments

"smells like a corn scented shampoo and grainy malt"
"Sour/stale flavor, spoiled canteloupe in the aroma"
"Bland, cardboard-like, metallic flavour with some saltiness in the aftertaste"

I only had about 5 seconds in line to decide what I wanted (1 cash, small town Beer Store with a Friday@5pm lineup) so I went with Labatt Extra Dry $29/24. Always liked that one myself.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2186 posts
184 upvotes
North York
anyone every tried molson stock ale? I'm a bit leary on the 24 bottle commitment (they don't sell it in 6's or 12's)
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
DIRRRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

if you like buck a beer than go with pabst or honey pabst its good, or wellington you get used to the taste of wellingtons after a few, lol it would taste like water after
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
Invasionmix wrote:DIRRRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

if you like buck a beer than go with pabst or honey pabst its good, or wellington you get used to the taste of wellingtons after a few, lol it would taste like water after
water...lol...kinda like kokanee...do they still brew that stuff?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2721 posts
129 upvotes
Peterborough
Steelback isn't beer. Anything else that comes out of that brewery isn't worth your trouble either. Grab some Cameron's Auburn Ale or something brewed by Unibroue or Wellington. Put your taste buds on first though.

Local beer talk (Toronto) at www.bartowel.ca
Deal Addict
May 1, 2004
1182 posts
Powderworker wrote:Yeah, I try to avoid beers that are the same colour going in as they are when they come out. Most Canadian and American lagers are just plain offensive - overcarbonated, bitter, and full of filler.
I dont know what ur saying guy. But, the only most amazingly tasty canadian beers i can find are "Moosehead" and "Alexander Keith's" uumm yummy.

ofcourse, Heineken and some other european beers are also good.

but, from Canada, those 2 above rule! (imo)