Shopping Discussion

Steps to Online Price Matching at Staples.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2015 2:19 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
scouzi wrote:What happens to your refunded value? Can you get them to credit your credit card afterwards or you have to buy something else with the refund?
The refunded value is applied to the credit card you used to make the purchase...

(It's good for us sometimes that they do it this way since there are situations where a MIR would be applicable if the item was OVER a certain dollar amount.... and the invoice would show the FULL PRICE, but you really paid the PM price since the difference is refunded onto your credit card "behind the scenes")...

This thread SHOULD be in the FAQ !
Create your own custom Avatar @ AbiStation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3478 posts
261 upvotes
Hey NDman,
On some occassions I do place the order first, and then submit it afterwards. I usually only do this if I know the pricematch is 100% legit, since its a hassle to go and return stuff afterwards.

1. I would order the item
2. I would submit the PM request (the usual way, mentioned in the main post)
3. After that I would wait for the confirmation and do it the same way mentioned in main post.

Glad people are finding this thread usefull and hoped it help some of the newer peeps get in on some deals :D

NDman wrote:Sorry for bringing it up from the dead. But it's a very useful FAQ.

Do have a question though. I read that some of you actually made the purchase AND THEN make the price match request? I always made the PM request first, wait for the confirmation e-mail and then make the order. If I can make the purchase first and then PM, how should I go about it? Do I just add the order number to the commet part of teh PM request? TIA
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
If/When you refund any item (well, let's sasy the entire online purchase), do they refund you the shipping too (if it's under $50 total amount, that is) or it's a lost cost?

And I think we should keep bumping this trhead to help new RFD'ers out
Sep 30, 2004
313 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks mint!
I will no longer be scurred of PMing online!
Now I know what I'm doing!
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
BUMP

And please see the question above. :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3478 posts
261 upvotes
Hm.. i never actually orderd anything where the shipping wasnt free :D
However, I dont think the shipping cost is recoverable, since they already shipped it etc.
Jul 2, 2003
317 posts
ok so rather than starting a new thread, i thought i ask you guys here. my FIRST time with a ONLINE pm.

i bought the SONY DSC-73 online from staples($399.99), i want to PM with BestBuy($319.99).

i already replied to the STAPLES confirmation email explaining that BB has it for $319.99 so i would like PM. Now, do i need to fill out that 'form' thing mint mentioned or is the reply to confirmation email good enough????

btw i also used the $20 coupon...not sure if they will accept or how?
Jul 2, 2003
317 posts
holy smokes it only took just little over 1hr for PM to go through!
just got this email from STAPLES:

Thank you for shopping with us,

Thank you for bringing the lower price on item 568981 at Best Buy to
our attention. We have credited the difference in price to your Visa for
the amount of $137.87.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.
Thank you for shopping with us,
Your Online Office Manager

Carol,
Customer Service Representative

well if staples can keep this up, i'm sure lot of us would take our buisness there...or just PMs :lol: !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3478 posts
261 upvotes
I think i will updating this thread very shortly. Since there are some minor changes. Specifically: quantity can now be 3, and the taxing on pricematches is now the way it should be :D
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
This should be a sticky, it seams like every week somebody that doesn't know how to search is asking how to do this.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3478 posts
261 upvotes
Just updated. Thanks to the peeps for their input and updated info.
Jan 3, 2005
74 posts
I thought I'd bring this to the top again as I had been searching for this info for a bit. Thanks again for the great info.
Aug 26, 2004
711 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Good FAQ, thank you!

Some questions though:
  1. Does the list of stores that Staples will pricematch against vary between online and instore?
  2. Are there any other stores (except staples) that have good pricematching policies?
Best wishes,
Alex.