None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville

Sticky Situation

I posted this initially in the Computer section, but I'm thinking perhaps that it would get more action in here.

Okay... so this is something a little different:

I picked up a couple monitors from a fellow RFDer. The price was great as the one had a coating that was dicinigrating. It was breaking down like a very old tinted glass.
Anyhow, I took the monitor apart and peeled off this coating. The picture underneath looks great. The only problem now is that the coating left the glass of the monitor VERY sticky. It's sticky... lint and dust sticks to it.

I tried GooOff, but it didn't really have any effect. Any other ideas on how I can remove this sticky film?

One guy did recommend I try/test Varnish thinner. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2004
1040 posts
99% alochol takes all adhesives off.

well most of them that i know of
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3130 posts
1 upvote
did you call a monitor repair store and ask for suggestions. Applying the wrong chemical may end up making the screen glass blurry be reacting to it.

I have used some nasty chemicals but for home use to take off the the thick black stuff (glue/part of underside of tile) of the vinyl tiles in the kitchen i used Acetone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
I have now cleared off about a toonie size of the sticky film using Goo Off. It's slow, but it's working.

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
May 23, 2005
344 posts
1 upvote
Nail polish remover with acetone could work. But try on corner of screen.