• Jul 15th, 2010 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes

Stihl Combi system alternatives?

So I was looking at the stihl FS 38 and reading comments here about Echo etc. When I noticed stihl has a combi system that would allow me to add pruners, blowers, etc. Anyone have the combi system? Anyone use the Ryobi alternative (bad reviews)? Are there other options? I like the maintenance of a single machine that is commonly used vs a few machines that are rarely used. Does echo have similar attachments. BTW I know this is probably total overkill for my needs, but I want to invest in a few yard tools to last.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
synaptech wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2010 5:37 pm
So I was looking at the stihl FS 38 and reading comments here about Echo etc. When I noticed stihl has a combi system that would allow me to add pruners, blowers, etc. Anyone have the combi system? Anyone use the Ryobi alternative (bad reviews)? Are there other options? I like the maintenance of a single machine that is commonly used vs a few machines that are rarely used. Does echo have similar attachments. BTW I know this is probably total overkill for my needs, but I want to invest in a few yard tools to last.
I believe Echo actually came out with the concept first, Stihl came along later.
I'm considering either the Echo or Stihl. Cant go wrong with either of them. Stihls the big name in chainsaws, but landscapers swear by Echo. I have an Echo Chainsaw and my father in law has a Stihl, both are solid.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
I like the idea of a combi unit but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The Stihl combi unit results in a leaf blower that is unwieldy to...er...wield but the string trimmer is okay if a tad heavier than the stand-alone unit (IIRC). Even the pruner is a pretty big unit. I just find the dedicated units easier to handle and the attachments aren't that much cheaper than the stand-alone equivalents. IMO

I have an Echo leaf blower, a Stihl string trimmer, and a Stihl chainsaw and they're all good. My faves in terms of ergonomics are the Stihl units.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3553 posts
67 upvotes
+1. Echo, Stihl and Husky FTW. Dedicated units, work. Combo units are trying to do everything for everyone.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I ended up pulling the trigger on an Echo PAS last month during a sale (buy the power head and 1 attachment and they give you the string trimmer attachment for free).
Its a nice system, not cheap by any means, but its practical for me to only have 1 motor to store and maintain.
I chose the brush cutter and edger attachments to go with the string trimmer.
The brush cutter is the best surprise...as its basically a circular saw at the end of the shaft, it cuts through just about anything.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Nov 24, 2009
3 posts
1 upvote
I bought the Stihl "Kombi" system 3 years ago from the U.S. and they have worked perfectly.I have the weed whacker, straight shaft driveway edger and hedge trimmer.

I paid less than half the Canadian price and when we got to the border the agent said "have a nice day",no duty or tax.
× < >