Automotive

Is it still better to go through Ministry Approved Beginner Driver Education Course if driver can get G2 and G quickly?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 6:58 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47596 posts
13266 upvotes

Is it still better to go through Ministry Approved Beginner Driver Education Course if driver can get G2 and G quickly?

I was on the phone with TDMM just to confirm whether my daughter's profile indicates she has gone through the BDE and the broker confirmed that she was.

Then he mentioned something about her records getting deleted once she gets her G license and her history with a G starts from a clean slate.

I know it still makes sense to go through the BDE to get lower insurance premiums but did the broker mean that when she gets her G license, the BDE and the three-year driving experience / 3-star no longer matters when TDMM rates her?

I recall that some online auto quotes do ask how long she was driving with a G2 apart from how long she has had a G license.

Does the premium almost always go down going from G2 to G? She is able to do her G test beginning this month but I would advise her to do it after the second semester when winter is finally over and maybe book in May for a refresher course and then take the G test afterwards.
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47596 posts
13266 upvotes
We don't own a BMW currently. :)

Good to know. I will ask her to go if she wants and mount her Go Pro so I can do the lessons for free.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
1931 posts
1069 upvotes
I always recommend a driving school for new drivers, definitely helps with lower insurance premiums and you learn a bunch.

Going from a G2 to a G license will decrease premiums but not by much if she’s a young driver.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:00 pm
We don't own a BMW currently. :)

Good to know. I will ask her to go if she wants and mount her Go Pro so I can do the lessons for free.
Any car can attend the school. The real lesson is understanding the handling in emergency situations yourself, so you won't learn much watching a video. Practising in an empty lot can help.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47596 posts
13266 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:25 pm
Any car can attend the school. The real lesson is understanding the handling in emergency situations yourself, so you won't learn much watching a video. Practising in an empty lot can help.
Is it better to turn off electronic nannies when practicing or keeping at least ESC on? All our cars are FWD or FWD-biased so there will be only understeer?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24495 posts
10831 upvotes
Ottawa
There won't be much savings taking a $400 driving course, considering she will have her G license soon.
Otherwise, I will take a course every year :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47596 posts
13266 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:43 pm
There won't be much savings taking a $400 driving course, considering she will have her G license soon.
Her TPL is $1750 lol.

She is going from G2 to G, not G to G+ or G++, like in your case. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:28 pm

Is it better to turn off electronic nannies when practicing or keeping at least ESC on? All our cars are FWD or FWD-biased so there will be only understeer?
It's good to practice with both. As car will respond differently. Any car can oversteer given the right conditions.
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:43 pm
Not sure how it is now, but I'm pretty sure my insurance was cheaper for the first 4 years of my G license due to going to driving school.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5140 posts
519 upvotes
Scarborough
Easy to get the "certificate", just pay the school money.......

(it's all about the money)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24495 posts
10831 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:22 pm
It's good to practice with both. As car will respond differently. Any car can oversteer given the right conditions.

Not sure how it is now, but I'm pretty sure my insurance was cheaper for the first 4 years of my G license due to going to driving school.
I'm sure it helps somewhat, but most new drivers complete their driving course before they get their G2, wait 8 months to get their G (unless the push it out) and the 3yr driving instruction consideration for insurance will likely pass or pass completely.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6606 posts
1261 upvotes
For us the savings seemed quite minimal however and more importantly it gave us a bit of peace of mind knowing that that our newly licensed teens were a bit safer. If I had to do it again I would have put them in an advanced driver training program -(on top of the learn to drive program) more on what to do in emergency situations. I think alot of this should be mandatory anyway but that's a whole different discussion.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
blexann wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:32 pm
For us the savings seemed quite minimal however and more importantly it gave us a bit of peace of mind knowing that that our newly licensed teens were a bit safer. If I had to do it again I would have put them in an advanced driver training program -(on top of the learn to drive program) more on what to do in emergency situations. I think alot of this should be mandatory anyway but that's a whole different discussion.
+1. The real savings is not having your kid involved in an accident, driving rates WAY up.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3576 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:52 pm
+1. The real savings is not having your kid involved in an accident, driving rates WAY up.
You can disown your kids for few years and then join the fam after rates goes down.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:23 pm
You can disown your kids for few years and then join the fam after rates goes down.
My uncle did that. Told the insurance company that his kids were specifically disallowed from driving his car so he wouldn't have to pay insurance on them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)