[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1829 posts
1352 upvotes
Canada

stock.ga - Inventory Checker tool for Walmart/CanadianTire B&M stores

Hi there,
I recently created a tool to check local inventory status and price of some B&M stores using similar requests that their websites do, but it provides more results at once and makes it easier to find a product at a better possible price.
I already posted links to it in some Hot Deals threads, but thought I create a separate post here with a little list of features and where people could leave comments and suggestions.

Walmart:
  • Check price and inventory status using UPC code (can be obtained on the walmart.ca, receipt or in store by looking at the barcode/tag). Product page might have 2 UPC listed, enter the last one which is just 1 digit shorter. Same with barcode from the box you may have to skip thr last digit.
  • Search by keyword, same as if you search on walmart.ca. Will display results with online price and stock info that you can click and also get local stock around specified location.
  • Location: can either leave blank and it will try to use your browser location or enter city/postal code/address.
  • Stores: number of stores to look for around specified location. Right now there is no limit and technically it's possible to search across whole Canada.
  • You can hide stores in results table where a product is not sold and stock information is not available.
  • Results table can be sorted by any column and filtered by price and stock.
  • I don't store any information, everything is retrieved directly from walmart.ca.
Advantages:
  • walmart.ca does not allow to check price and stock status for every item (just for some, where 'Buy in store' button is active). Here it allows checking any item, even if it's no longer listed online, just provide a proper SKU number.
  • walmart.ca limit your search to 3 stores
  • walmart.ca has a bug in the system and displays correct information only for the 1st store out of those 3, other 2 stores just copy 1st store info.
  • Online search results display how many items are available in stock, which is not shown on walmart.ca. I have no idea how accuarate that information is though.
Drawbacks:
  • Stock availability information is not real-time, lagging probably day or two. Nothing I can do about it, it is what is given by the walmart server. Price appears to be correct.
  • No filtering/ordering search results. Might add later.
ToDos:
  • Add barcode scanner to automatically scan UPC codes and check stock info
  • Add filtering/ordering search results

CanadianTire:
  • Check price and inventory number using Product #(can be obtained on the canadiantire.ca or in store by looking at the price tag) It should include at least first 7 digits from a product # that usually is provided in a format similar to xxx-xxxx-x. The last digit and dashes are optional, but you can just copy the number as it provided on the website.
  • Search by keyword, same as if you search on canadiantire.ca. Will display results with online price that you can click and get local price and stock numbers. Search results can be sorted similarly to what canadiantire.ca offers.
  • Location: can either leave blank and it will try to use your browser location or enter city/postal code/address.
  • Store distance: search radius in km for stores around specified location. Right now there is no limit and technically it's possible to search across whole Canada.
  • You can hide stores in results table where a product is not sold and stock information is not available.
  • Results table can be sorted by any column.
  • I don't store any information, everything is retrieved directly from canadiantire.ca.
Advantages:
  • canadiantire.ca does not show price information for each particular store, my tool does.
  • No limit on number of stores to scan.
  • Some store-specific clearance and sale prices are not published online. I was able to get the same info as what store kiosk does and you can easily compare prices. I found that if there is no chainwide sale, prices might be quite different in canadiantire stores across the same city.
Drawbacks:
  • Search sometimes does not give any results, but tries to redirect to some canadiantire page (usually when you enter particular brand name) Some redirects(like 'lego') I was able to overcome by specifying the same keyword twice but some still try to redirect no matter what.
  • No filtering search results. Might add later.
  • When search item contains multiple product #'s (for choosing colors, size, etc) it will only show the first one. You can still lookup particular product # and use it instead to get stock info.
ToDos:
  • Fix issue with multiple product #'s by displaying a dropdown list in search result item.
  • Add search filtering

BestBuy and IKEA checkers are similar to what their corresponding websites are offering. There is no per-store price info. The only advantage is that you can check many stores at once.
I tried to do similar checkers for HomeDepot and the Source, but it's more complicated and they don't seem to allow sending stock requests directly. At least I couldn't find an easy way by pretending to be a browser.

General ToDo: Let me know if you have any questions on how to use this tool or any suggestions.
I do this in my spare time and I'm not a professional web developer, so be easy :)
Cheers!
Last edited by seafish on Oct 12th, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
May 1, 2018
248 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver
I saw it posted in the Walmart Monopoly Mario Edition thread and thought this was a neat tool.

Do you think a future goal would be doing stock for grocery stores and supermarkets like Superstore, Save On Foods etc? Even Costco maybe?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2876 posts
5064 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
I've used the tool a few times since I've seen it in a couple of threads and wanted to say thank you kindly for creating and sharing it with the RFD community @seafish.

Based on the number of threads for Home Depot and The Source, I was going to suggest those 2 but I see you've already looked into them based on your comments in the main post.

If they are not as complicated like HD and TS to add, I too would like to request RCSS and Save On Foods as well as No Frills and London Drugs for us westerners. May as well ask now before the east start asking. :D
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12832 posts
3198 upvotes
Montreal
You should get some affiliate links going to help pay the server/development costs.

If I find a site useful, I have no problem with it, and most people don't either.
Jul 13, 2007
684 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Looks nice.

I checked an item I bought recently (a car battery): 83996058149 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart- ... 0195362492 and every result in Toronto says "NotSold", but it is a Buy In Store item. Probably nothing you can do, but ??? why it doesn't work on your site.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1829 posts
1352 upvotes
Canada
HammerRFDer wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:23 pm
Looks nice.

I checked an item I bought recently (a car battery): 83996058149 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart- ... 0195362492 and every result in Toronto says "NotSold", but it is a Buy In Store item. Probably nothing you can do, but ??? why it doesn't work on your site.
You actually need to enter the other UPC code that is listed on product page on the bottom, it's similar but 1 digit less 8399605814
Also, appears that same with barcode, you need to enter 1 digit less in the checker then on barcode from the box (not sure if always or sometimes)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8098 posts
8920 upvotes
GT-EH
Came here to say thanks for this awesome little website you created. ;)
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)