Home & Garden

IS a stone exterior for a new house worth the extra over BRICK?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2014 10:40 am
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes

IS a stone exterior for a new house worth the extra over BRICK?

so we were looking at a new house under construction and if we buy it in the next couple weeks we canhave brick, or for $11,250 dollars more...we could have stone. apparently thats with tax and such.

is it worth the extra? all the other houses are actually semi's with brick and to the right of the house across the street (its a corner house) are single dwellings with brick. so i thought maybe stone would up the value?

heres the house
[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/14516077408/[/IMG]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/14516077408/
heres the stone we want in the second pic of an example of the stone

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/14679729106/
[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/14679729106/[/IMG]
9 replies
Aug 20, 2011
699 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
IMO, def worth it, makes your home really stand out, and looks like a premium
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
LAPrince wrote: IMO, def worth it, makes your home really stand out, and looks like a premium
would that stone in the pic work with the black roof and beige windows?
Aug 20, 2011
699 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
Honestly not sure without looking at pictures of materials being used, but that stone I don't think would look good with a black roof, since the stone looks kinda beige, the roof should also compliment the stone just the picture in the 2nd link
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
Is it stone or a stone-cast product? I would pay extra for stone but would stick with brick if the option was stone-cast.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
- I would price out the materials and the labour and do the math. Not from the builder of course cause the numbers won't tell the truth. Any upgrades done by the builder is where they make a larger profit margin of course and it will cost more for anything.
- That being said the exterior is a once in a lifetime upgrade for the house and you won't probably get a second chance to do it again. I think the stone looks great but am not sure I would like the black roof. My father got light coloured shingles to help with heat in the summer.
- Another thing I would do is ask a realtor how much it would increase the value of your home when you sell? I somehow think you will get more than the cost of the upgrade when you sell. It is truly "lipstick on a pig" and will be the first thing a prospective buyer will see and probably the thing they will remember the most about your house.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Never thought I'd say this but I'm getting tired of the stone look. Never liked stucco either. Give me a traditional brick exterior. Maybe a little stone to accent but depends on style of house.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote: - I would price out the materials and the labour and do the math. Not from the builder of course cause the numbers won't tell the truth. Any upgrades done by the builder is where they make a larger profit margin of course and it will cost more for anything.
- That being said the exterior is a once in a lifetime upgrade for the house and you won't probably get a second chance to do it again. I think the stone looks great but am not sure I would like the black roof. My father got light coloured shingles to help with heat in the summer.
- Another thing I would do is ask a realtor how much it would increase the value of your home when you sell? I somehow think you will get more than the cost of the upgrade when you sell. It is truly "lipstick on a pig" and will be the first thing a prospective buyer will see and probably the thing they will remember the most about your house.
thanks for your detailed input. unfortunately the roof was one of the first things done and the contractor said if we want to buy the house, the sooner we do it, the more we can pick out our own things. the next thing their gonna do is the outside. their originally using a red brick, but for 11,250 more, stone is an option. i like the look of stone and the rest of the houses to the right are brick, and the semi's to the left are brick, so im thinking maybe it would boost the value, very good point though if we ever want to resale it.

they say black goes with everything so maybe it could be not so bad? the roof will eventually need to be replaced i suppose.
fdl wrote: Never thought I'd say this but I'm getting tired of the stone look. Never liked stucco either. Give me a traditional brick exterior. Maybe a little stone to accent but depends on style of house.
well all the houses , like 95% of them in the area are brick so i was a bit tired of seeing that per say lol
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
People care more about how many bedrooms you have, bathrooms, etc than if there is stone or not on the outside.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
eonibm wrote: People care more about how many bedrooms you have, bathrooms, etc than if there is stone or not on the outside.
i thoguht stone would give it a premium look

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)