Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
256 posts
3 upvotes

Stone vs Brick house frontage

Hello

We are looking at a new house and the model that we are interested comes with 2 elevations: A is Brick and B is Stone front. Everything is equal and the Stone front model is 10,000 more. Does this sound reasonable? IS that true that the difference is that much between stone vs brick?
Thanks
15 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10092 posts
954 upvotes
Brampton
Depends how much stone there is. I personally would go for the stone upgrade, looks more luxurious :D
Of course any builder upgrade is overpriced & the diff. between stone & brick is probably less than $10K but we are talking about a builder upgrade here.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
1208 posts
57 upvotes
stone is the way to go IMO.
looks MUCH better IMO and will increase resale value down the road too.
$10k sounds about right depending on the stone used and the size of the home too ;)
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6482 posts
233 upvotes
janaka wrote:
May 6th, 2010 10:49 am
stone is the way to go IMO.
looks MUCH better IMO and will increase resale value down the road too.
$10k sounds about right depending on the stone used and the size of the home too ;)
And depends on how much coverage that $10k cover? The "Stone facing" units offered by our builder actually only covers the footing of the front the house.....
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I think it depends on the size of the house. On a large spacious home on a wide lot, stone looks fantastic. On a small semi in a new subdivision I think it can look tacky, like you're trying to hard?

Post some pics of your home or a similar one for less generic responses. Also some pics of the stone...if its natural vs. "cultured" stone.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
256 posts
3 upvotes
stealth wrote:
May 6th, 2010 12:44 pm
I think it depends on the size of the house. On a large spacious home on a wide lot, stone looks fantastic. On a small semi in a new subdivision I think it can look tacky, like you're trying to hard?

Post some pics of your home or a similar one for less generic responses. Also some pics of the stone...if its natural vs. "cultured" stone.
Thank you all for your comments thus far. I will try to post the picture as I have never done this before. Also, I do not what kind of stone the builder will be using. Which one is better?
THanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6482 posts
233 upvotes
stealth wrote:
May 6th, 2010 12:44 pm

I see builders put stone facing on new townhouses.

BTW, there are companies who can put stones on top top of the brick later on.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
rdx wrote:
May 6th, 2010 1:21 pm
I see builders put stone facing on new townhouses.

BTW, there are companies who can put stones on top top of the brick later on.
1) true. Doesnt mean they all look good (to me)!

2). Yup, lots of homes in my neioghborhood are getting it done. Some look amazing, some look absolutely terrible, considering the money that was spent. The main difference being if any other changes are made to style of the house i.e. adding dormers, changing porch/entranceway etc so as to coordinate better with the "arts and crafts" style of home that typically stone reflects.

We're considering doing it to our 40yr old Cape Cod style home as well, but it would look silly with just a stone /stucco facade slapped on, without any other architectural changes to the structure.
Stone and stone/stucco (my preference) homes are popping up all over our neighborhood. Here's one they're about to start building right on the lake. Sigh....its nice to dream!
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.a ... Id=9083764
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6482 posts
233 upvotes
Do you know how much in general company charge for stone facing project ? charge per sq ft ?
stealth wrote:
May 6th, 2010 1:32 pm
Yup, lots of homes in my neioghborhood are getting it done. Some look amazing, some look absolutely terrible, considering the money that was spent. The main difference being if any other changes are made to style of the house i.e. adding dormers, changing porch/entranceway etc so as to coordinate better with the "arts and crafts" style of home that typically stone reflects.

We're considering doing it to our 40yr old Cape Cod style home as well, but it would look silly with just a stone /stucco facade slapped on, without any other architectural changes to the structure.
Stone and stone/stucco (my preference) homes are popping up all over our neighborhood. Here's one they're about to start building right on the lake. Sigh....its nice to dream!
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.a ... Id=9083764
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
The company we built with last year (moved in Dec 17th) charges $10k to do the stone skirt on the front, pillars and peak, stucco for the master bedroom area and brick on the back and sides all levels. This is KW area.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6482 posts
233 upvotes
janaka wrote:
May 6th, 2010 6:51 pm
The company we built with last year (moved in Dec 17th) charges $10k to do the stone skirt on the front, pillars and peak, stucco for the master bedroom area and brick on the back and sides all levels. This is KW area.
I see. That's pretty much what our builder did for the stone facing houses
Apr 29, 2010
982 posts
170 upvotes
Ancaster
I prefer stucco w/ stone skirt all around, looks better and definitely cheaper than stone front. We built our house a few years ago and the stucco + stone skirt was included in the model price.. I believe it was something like $15k to 'upgrade' to all stone in the front. This was for a 3500 sq ft home and this was about 5 years ago.
Oct 27, 2008
657 posts
6 upvotes
janaka wrote:
May 6th, 2010 6:51 pm
If they put stones all around the bottom part of the house, that would look nice, just the front...better brick. The newer style a few years from now maybe they'll put stones are around, that would look really nice, you can enjoy that look even in the backyard.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
256 posts
3 upvotes
We also like the combination of stone and stucco frontage; however, some people told me that Stucco needs regular maintenance, is this correct?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1398 posts
76 upvotes
tockty wrote:
May 5th, 2010 9:22 pm
Hello

We are looking at a new house and the model that we are interested comes with 2 elevations: A is Brick and B is Stone front. Everything is equal and the Stone front model is 10,000 more. Does this sound reasonable? IS that true that the difference is that much between stone vs brick?
Thanks

hi there,

ok, $10,000 is a lot, but how large is the frontage of the home?

My wife and I bought with Aspen Ridge and we upgraded from Elevation A to B. This Elevation change not only included changing most of the front of the home to stone, and the 2nd floor faced with Synthetic Stucco, but also included a complete roofed walkout balcony over the garage.

there isn't THAT much difference in cost, but when it comes from the builder, they markup everything SIGNIFICANTLY.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
× < >