I did a Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge tour last July
Was really fun
Can't remember the tour company though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
Thanks again. Yes, we do plan to check out Westminster Abbey. I'd love to see Wimbledon but since there won't be any Wimbledon on then I don't think it would be worthwhile.
Jul 15, 2003
276 posts
43 upvotes
I did the normal Stonehenge visit a few years ago and personally I really enjoyed it, but I've always been interested in this type of thing.

I'm going back this weekend, and have booked a stone circle access tour at Stonehenge. Its very early in the morning, and I'm staying outside of London at the time, but they also have an evening option available. I know that some of the bus tours will buy up most of the stone circle tickets to offer it as part of their tour, so you can check that out as well.

Here's a link to the request form if you are interested.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... le-access/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
SecretSauce wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 7:26 am
I did the normal Stonehenge visit a few years ago and personally I really enjoyed it, but I've always been interested in this type of thing.

I'm going back this weekend, and have booked a stone circle access tour at Stonehenge. Its very early in the morning, and I'm staying outside of London at the time, but they also have an evening option available. I know that some of the bus tours will buy up most of the stone circle tickets to offer it as part of their tour, so you can check that out as well.

Here's a link to the request form if you are interested.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... le-access/
Wow thanks. Would it be better to rent a car and do this ourselves along with Windsor Castle and Oxford or Bath. I've seen Viator tours of all three which interest me but the tours aren't circle access. The tours I've seen that are small group with access are about $150/pp. or would it be really tiring I do the driving ourselves? Thanks!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24618 posts
2346 upvotes
Ottawa
girlstar wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 8:56 am
Wow thanks. Would it be better to rent a car and do this ourselves along with Windsor Castle and Oxford or Bath. I've seen Viator tours of all three which interest me but the tours aren't circle access. The tours I've seen that are small group with access are about $150/pp. or would it be really tiring I do the driving ourselves? Thanks!
Unless you are confident driving on the left side of the car and road, on highways with roundabouts and many many traffic circles, as well as driving a standard, I would advise against renting a car.
$150 per person, including entrances and having someone else drive is a good deal.
Really, the Stone Circle only allows you inside the pathway that surrounds the actual Stones. It still also does not allow you to touch them or does not include a guide or even the audio guide. You only get to step over the rope and go into the center of the Henge.
I have driven past the Stonehenge many times and have stopped quite a few times (because there was always someone with us that has not seen it) and you will be just as informed and satisfied with your visit during the tour as you would be if you could walk into the center.
Take the tour, get the most out of your day with the least amount of stress.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3451 posts
277 upvotes
cko64 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 10:23 pm
Why anybody would go to Stonehenge and not feel the stones, you guys just stare at the rocks?
Well, they are just old rocks :)

How does touching the stones, or touching any other historic site, make the experience any more real?

Getting back on topic, I second the recommendation for Windsor Castle. There's like a billion dollars worth of jewels, paintings, weapons and armour in there. You'll never look at castles the same way again.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
2856 posts
149 upvotes
London, EU
Speaking of jewels and castles, the Tower of London is actually also considered a castle. Together with Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, and Hampton Court Palace, they make up the castles and palaces within London.
Oct 20, 2004
594 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
girlstar wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 6:48 am
Thanks again. Yes, we do plan to check out Westminster Abbey. I'd love to see Wimbledon but since there won't be any Wimbledon on then I don't think it would be worthwhile.
There are tours available and the museum (not that exciting) outside of the tournament. Unless you are a really big tennis fan though you would be better off seeing other sights in London (Tower of London, Westminster, Hyde Park, Greenwich, Eye, British Museum, Tate Modern, etc.). There is nothing else really around there and it is a bit out of the way.

If you are truly interested in going to Wimbledon one day then enter the lottery each year. If you win something that is worth a trip over the pond then jump on it, otherwise just bide your time until you get something good. The prices are very reasonable and it saves having to queue up overnight or going in the morning and settling for a grounds pass.
Oct 17, 2011
90 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
On Aug 5 we will be visiting Stonehenge, Bath and Lacock It is an exclusive private viewing of Stonehenge. Stepping inside the "inner circle of stones" is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Tickets are limited and each group consists of 26 (morning) or 40 (afternoon) with your own guide. With a choice of sunrise or sunset viewings, and private access to the inner circle of stones, your visit to Stonehenge is sure to be a memory you'll cherish. As an added bonus, you'll avoid the huge crowds.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
yaldaren wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 7:25 pm
There are tours available and the museum (not that exciting) outside of the tournament. Unless you are a really big tennis fan though you would be better off seeing other sights in London (Tower of London, Westminster, Hyde Park, Greenwich, Eye, British Museum, Tate Modern, etc.). There is nothing else really around there and it is a bit out of the way.

If you are truly interested in going to Wimbledon one day then enter the lottery each year. If you win something that is worth a trip over the pond then jump on it, otherwise just bide your time until you get something good. The prices are very reasonable and it saves having to queue up overnight or going in the morning and settling for a grounds pass.
Yeah big tennis fan but with the timing off I didn't put this on my highlights of places to go. Big dream to one day go to Wimbledon to watch it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
roundtoit wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 9:51 pm
On Aug 5 we will be visiting Stonehenge, Bath and Lacock It is an exclusive private viewing of Stonehenge. Stepping inside the "inner circle of stones" is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Tickets are limited and each group consists of 26 (morning) or 40 (afternoon) with your own guide. With a choice of sunrise or sunset viewings, and private access to the inner circle of stones, your visit to Stonehenge is sure to be a memory you'll cherish. As an added bonus, you'll avoid the huge crowds.
Thanks, have fun! I am tying to find a private tour, if I can, with the miner access and at least Windsor with it, I wasn't sure which of the Viator tours has that,
Jul 15, 2003
276 posts
43 upvotes
girlstar wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 8:56 am
You can easily do that, that's what I'm doing. And I see another poster said something about driving a standard, they have automatic transmission cars in the UK as well. I'm renting a automatic compact for about $41 CAD a day. Its about an hour and a half drive from Gatwick airport to Stonehenge and then about another hour to Bath. The stone circle access times are early morning (around 5:30 through to 7:00, in half hour increments or in the evening after 7 I believe). If you do decide to rent and drive, there are 3 large park and ride locations just outside of Bath, with very frequent buses that take about 10-15 minutes to make it into the downtown area. Here's a link to the locations:

http://visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-maps/ ... k-and-ride

I've driven there before and after the first hour, you don't even realize you are on the "wrong side"

Make it an adventure.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9363 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga
One of my favourite castles to visit in England was Warwick Castle. It's an easy and relatively short train ride from London to the town of Warwick so you can easily do this yourself without having to go on a tour. It's one of the largest castles in Britain and beautifully preserved. It has jousting tournaments, the world's largest trebuchet that they use to catapult fireballs from, dungeons, armour displays, secret passageways, and all that great medieval stuff you associate with English castles.

Warwick Castle
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
Thanks to all who have provided great suggestions really appreciate it.

Steering a tad off topic, what are everyone's favourite restaurants/pubs in London? I'll look on chowhound but since so many people have been, was wondering what places you've been to and been happy with. We are staying around Westminster Abbey.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
2856 posts
149 upvotes
London, EU
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 7:34 pm
One of my favourite castles to visit in England was Warwick Castle. It's an easy and relatively short train ride from London to the town of Warwick so you can easily do this yourself without having to go on a tour. It's one of the largest castles in Britain and beautifully preserved. It has jousting tournaments, the world's largest trebuchet that they use to catapult fireballs from, dungeons, armour displays, secret passageways, and all that great medieval stuff you associate with English castles.

Warwick Castle
Unfortunately, that sense of authenticity is almost gone since Merlin Entertainment (which owns Madam Taussauds and London Dungeon) took over and turned it into a pseudo-themed park with corny themed areas like the Princess Tower lol.
× < >