None
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
2877 posts
159 upvotes
London, EU
girlstar wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 8:19 pm
Steering a tad off topic, what are everyone's favourite restaurants/pubs in London? I'll look on chowhound but since so many people have been, was wondering what places you've been to and been happy with. We are staying around Westminster Abbey.
I'm afraid I can't recommend any high-end Michelin-starred restaurant since I haven't been.

I would recommend Strada near City Hall since it has great views of Tower Bridge at night. It's a chain restaurant that offers good Italian food (like Osso Buco and gnocchi) and ambience. Another Italian chain restaurant, Pizza Express, is much better and more authentic than what you would get with Pizza Hut or Domino's. Despite the "express" in the name, it is a proper sit-down restaurant and not fast food. Stockpot in Soho offers good affordable British fare, although the place itself is a bit small and cramp (cozy, I suppose). For Indian food, Masala Zone is quite good and they have a handful of locations around the city, although I am sure there are better ones out there. Although away from the tourist trail, the East End offers better (and cheaper) Asian restaurants like Vietnamese, Thai, etc. and are often family-run. Also, street food in London is good, especially in the markets (particularly Borough market). I've had ostrich burgers, roast duck burgers, paella, this French dish called Raclette (?), okonomiyaki, etc. for decent price.

As for pubs, I like this pub (which the name escapes me) by Marylebone station in terms of ambience. It has that Victorian feel to it. I also sometimes go to Montagu Pike in Charing Cross road near Covent Garden. They have this big projector that shows live football/soccer games (the best seats are upstairs and overlooking the ground floor below). There are lots of good pubs and bars in Shoreditch (East End) and I particularly like Barrio East for the decor and feel. Cocktails are a bit expensive though, like around £8 or 9 for a f****ng mojito. There's also a few chain bars like All Bar One and Be At One. Although one of the best places to get a drink is at that balcony in Royal Festival Hall in South Bank overlooking the river. It's just nice to have a jug of Pimm's shared with friends on a warm summer evening overlooking the Thames.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24868 posts
2457 upvotes
Ottawa
girlstar wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 8:19 pm
Thanks to all who have provided great suggestions really appreciate it.

Steering a tad off topic, what are everyone's favourite restaurants/pubs in London? I'll look on chowhound but since so many people have been, was wondering what places you've been to and been happy with. We are staying around Westminster Abbey.
We are going in August and have made reservations at Gordon Ramsay restaurant http://www.gordonramsay.com/claridges/ and Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/ Both are very high end and Michelin starred places. You need to book well on advance. The couple we are traveling with live in an isolated place (way way up North) and their way of splurging is treating themselves to visit Michelin starred restaurants LOL.
We are also staying in the Westminster Abbey area at the St Ermins Hotel.
I am a huge lover of pubs, both for beer and food. In my mind there is no bad one LOL Try here www.pubs.com
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24868 posts
2457 upvotes
Ottawa
heymikey wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 4:19 pm
I'm afraid I can't recommend any high-end Michelin-starred restaurant since I haven't been.

I would recommend Strada near City Hall since it has great views of Tower Bridge at night. It's a chain restaurant that offers good Italian food (like Osso Buco and gnocchi) and ambiance. Another Italian chain restaurant, Pizza Express, is much better and more authentic than what you would get with Pizza Hut or Domino's. Despite the "express" in the name, it is a proper sit-down restaurant and not fast food. Stockpot in Soho offers good affordable British fare, although the place itself is a bit small and cramp (cozy, I suppose). For Indian food, Masala Zone is quite good and they have a handful of locations around the city, although I am sure there are better ones out there. Although away from the tourist trail, the East End offers better (and cheaper) Asian restaurants like Vietnamese, Thai, etc. and are often family-run. Also, street food in London is good, especially in the markets (particularly Borough market). I've had ostrich burgers, roast duck burgers, paella, this French dish called Raclette (?), okonomiyaki, etc. for decent price.

As for pubs, I like this pub (which the name escapes me) by Marylebone station in terms of ambiance. It has that Victorian feel to it. I also sometimes go to Montagu Pike in Charing Cross road near Covent Garden. They have this big projector that shows live football/soccer games (the best seats are upstairs and overlooking the ground floor below). There are lots of good pubs and bars in Shoreditch (East End) and I particularly like Barrio East for the decor and feel. Cocktails are a bit expensive though, like around £8 or 9 for a f****ng mojito. There's also a few chain bars like All Bar One and Be At One. Although one of the best places to get a drink is at that balcony in Royal Festival Hall in South Bank overlooking the river. It's just nice to have a jug of Pimm's shared with friends on a warm summer evening overlooking the Thames.
Thanks for the list. We are doing a couple very high end eateries so the rest of the time we may have to watch our pennies (pence?). Thanks for the Osso Bucco tip, that is one of my favorites.
As I said before, I love British Pubs, can't go wrong with a pint and...well anything LOL.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1961 posts
135 upvotes
Thanks Heymikey, will thank you when I'm not on mobile: Will note those!

Pete_coach would like to hear your thoughts on your restaurant choices upon your return.

I randomly looked for fish and chips on chowhound and came up with Poppys, Master Super Fish and another one I can't remember. Noted on my iPad... Anyone ever tried these? Love a good fish and chips!
Jul 15, 2003
277 posts
43 upvotes
girlstar wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 5:33 pm
Thanks Heymikey, will thank you when I'm not on mobile: Will note those!

Pete_coach would like to hear your thoughts on your restaurant choices upon your return.

I randomly looked for fish and chips on chowhound and came up with Poppys, Master Super Fish and another one I can't remember. Noted on my iPad... Anyone ever tried these? Love a good fish and chips!
Check out Harry Ramsdens, its my favorite fish n chips place that i found last time i was there
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24868 posts
2457 upvotes
Ottawa
girlstar wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 6:57 am
This was my first story that appeared on google today when I clicked the cute animation. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ncing.html

I didn't think people could touch it!
Well....., the Summer Solstice brings out all sorts of people and Stonhenge is the key to their festivities in Britain.
It would be impossible to stop people from getting inside the circle. The "religious" aspect has been almost lost to the "party" atmosphere. I can see this as the British equivalent to the Burning Man festival nowadays. all the whackos come out to play for the day.
× < >