Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Stooples: Canon Rebel XS SLR 18-55mm Lens 10MP, $399 + coupons

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2010 2:13 pm
Tags:
Feb 18, 2008
374 posts
243 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK

[Staples] Stooples: Canon Rebel XS SLR 18-55mm Lens 10MP, $399 + coupons

Good deal? Bring it down to 360 + tax with coupons. In stock. Does this have IS? Is the video mode any good? People who know about cameras please reply!!

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... e=WW&=&=&=

Features:

CMOS sensor with DIGIC III image processor
Auto lighting optimizer for highlight/shadow control and picture style settings for in-camera colour, contrast and sharpness control
High-speed, wide-area 7-point AF with centre cross-type sensors
3.0 fps continuous shooting and burst rate of up to 514 large JPEGs
Compatible with compact SD and SDHC memory cards
Compatible with more than 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS system accessories
2.5" LCD screen
1-Year Limited Warranty.
27 replies
Jun 16, 2008
975 posts
1077 upvotes
I have this camera. It's my first dSLR and I love it, but it's just that - a beginner's dSLR. It's lacking some of the more advanced features (Spot metering, AF microadjustment, higher ISO performance, etc.), but if you can learn to deal with these limitations, you can get some great results out of it.

It's a great camera to introduce you to the world of SLRs and get used to shooting with the form factor and interchangeable lenses, and I think it will be a great backup camera when I eventually upgrade to a more pro-level body. Plus, it's one of the lightest and smallest dSLRs you can buy!

However, this camera does NOT have any video functionality at all! Also, the camera you're linking to has the non-IS 18-55mm lens, which isn't very good. I swapped it out for the IS model and noticed a significant jump in the quality and sharpness of my pictures.

If you get this, be sure to pick up the 50mm f1.8 lens ASAP - you'll be amazed at what it can do!
Feb 18, 2008
374 posts
243 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Thanks for the info. How much is the IS lens? I think I'll stay away from this, and buy a proper camera with at least 720p video and IS lens.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1358 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
cookedDeals wrote: If you get this, be sure to pick up the 50mm f1.8 lens ASAP - you'll be amazed at what it can do!
+1

I ended up selling my 18-55 (non IS) to get the "nifty fifty." For the price, it's already a bargain but damn does it take great pictures!
May 10, 2008
302 posts
37 upvotes
looks like non IS lens, you most likely will not find an IS lens for anywhere near this price, but still looks like a good deal if coupons will stack
anyone care to PM me a coupon, im gonna cave in and buy it.
Mar 14, 2006
347 posts
11 upvotes
jotg wrote: +1

I ended up selling my 18-55 (non IS) to get the "nifty fifty." For the price, it's already a bargain but damn does it take great pictures!
what's a good price for 50mm f1.8 lens?
Nov 6, 2003
254 posts
8 upvotes
marksoju wrote: Thanks for the info. How much is the IS lens? I think I'll stay away from this, and buy a proper camera with at least 720p video and IS lens.
720p Video - proper camera.

As photographers role in their grave :D
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1358 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
the_OG wrote: what's a good price for 50mm f1.8 lens?
Retail is $129 + tax but you can find new/used ones privately for around $100. Still a great deal IMO
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1323 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
jotg wrote: +1

What do you use the nifty fifty for normally? And how is it better than the standard 18-55 kit lens in terms of picture quality? Would you use the f1.8 all the time then and only use the 18-55 if you needed zoom?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
iluvsdadeals wrote: What do you use the nifty fifty for normally? And how is it better than the standard 18-55 kit lens in terms of picture quality? Would you use the f1.8 all the time then and only use the 18-55 if you needed zoom?
The 18-55 won't give you much zoom over the 50mm. But it does provide more wide-angle versatility in the 18 to 35 range.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1554 posts
182 upvotes
marksoju wrote: So is this a super way better deal? Is the extra 80$ worth it for the IS lens? Someone with brains please let me know!
Image Stabilization is essential on longer lenses, I'd say 80mm and up.

IMO, $80 more for the IS feature on an 18-55 lens is a waste. Save that $80 and put it towards a nice 55-250 IS lens, easily found on sale for around two hundred bucks now and again...
Jun 16, 2008
975 posts
1077 upvotes
marksoju wrote: So is this a super way better deal? Is the extra 80$ worth it for the IS lens? Someone with brains please let me know!
I bought an IS lens off Craigslist for $100, so this slight price bump is worth it, particularly if you shoot handheld all the time (like I do).
Jun 16, 2008
975 posts
1077 upvotes
iluvsdadeals wrote: What do you use the nifty fifty for normally? And how is it better than the standard 18-55 kit lens in terms of picture quality? Would you use the f1.8 all the time then and only use the 18-55 if you needed zoom?
Actually, I do the reverse. I keep the IS kit lens on as my walkabout lens because it's more flexible, and I switch to the fifty if I'm in low-light or if I'm shooting candid portraits. The wide aperture (and shallow depth of field) of the fifty is perfect for these situations.

Plus, since it's a prime, it's razor sharp. Prime lens optics will always be superior to zooms.
Feb 18, 2008
374 posts
243 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Thanks ya'll! If this is like, a super professional camera that can take totally awesome photos, then I just might buy it! Unless anyone knows of a better deal out there?? For an awesome professional camera?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1554 posts
182 upvotes
marksoju wrote: Thanks ya'll! If this is like, a super professional camera that can take totally awesome photos, then I just might buy it! Unless anyone knows of a better deal out there?? For an awesome professional camera?
$399 is a great deal on a great starter DSLR like this one.
Dec 24, 2008
326 posts
28 upvotes
Regina
yourmemory wrote: $399 is a great deal on a great starter DSLR like this one.
with a coupon, it could be $369 or $349.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1554 posts
182 upvotes
itsets wrote: with a coupon, it could be $369 or $349.
exactly. Forgot to mention, add something of a dollar to your cart if you need it to use an extra coupon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)