• Mar 19th, 2010 2:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes

Stop sun glare on monitor outside

What can be used on a computer monitor to stop the sun glare?

At the store I work for we have cash registers outside in the summer and sometimes they are in direct sunlight so it is almost impossible to see anything on the screen. I asked our admin if she could order us something and through Lyreco Office Products the cheapest she said she could find was a filter for around $160 each. I checked Staples.ca and they are really expensive there too. But they are privacy filters and I think that is different than what I want. Those make it so someone beside cant peek at the screen. I just want something to block the sun. We will probably need 4 so it can't be that expensive. Also its for the old crt monitors.

Anyone know where I can buy them?
Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
jbnc_ wrote: http://www.instructables.com/id/Laptop-Compubody-Sock/

..sorry this prob wont do, but its a good laugh :D
lol thats hilarious! Nope cant do that
coolspot wrote: Can you put up some reflective film on the Window? That will help cut down the glare.

Otherwise a glare / privacy filter should work well:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... %20Filters

(TigerDirect is just an example, shop around for the best price :) )
There are no windows. Its right outside out in the open. So Direct sunlight.

Privacy and glare filters are the same thing? The cheapest on that site is $100 I was hoping to find something around $25. Maybe upto $40 but that would be pushing it. I have to get this approved first. We dont even have LCD monitors yet.. I dont think they will approve $100each screen filters.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Privacy and glare filters are the same thing? The cheapest on that site is $100 I was hoping to find something around $25. Maybe upto $40 but that would be pushing it. I have to get this approved first. We dont even have LCD monitors yet.. I dont think they will approve $100each screen filters.
No, privacy filters are polarized so people cannot view your screen unless directly behind. However, since they're polarized they should help with glare (test first).

Glare filters are "clear" plastic screens that asborb and do not reflect light - therefore reducing glare.

Since you're outdoors, a glare filter probably won't do - you'll need a monitor hood, if your company is too cheap to buy a proper one, build one out of cardboard.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5437 upvotes
search on ebay for "anti glare screen protector"
The sweetest gyal
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
The technology that would be ideal for this is actually a transflective screen (used often in daylight readable/automotive applications), but those are incredibly expensive. Go for the DIY/hood solution.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
thanks for the ideas. I tried making a hood out of cardboard last year and even that didnt help. There was just too much sun. Maybe I'll try it again... make it out of wood this time or somethin.
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
maybe set up an big umbrella to make a little shade??

AND

wear polarized sunglasses (I don't know if this actually works.. but I think they are supposed to reduce glare??) :D

AND

crank the brightness and contrast on the monitor (if it's a laptop.. you gotta find the setting in windows)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)