[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15163 posts
2083 upvotes
Toronto

Stop Using Self-Checkouts

23456504_515547942116214_7119172659908086975_o.jpg

Is no one else concerned that so many cashier jobs at every form of retail, are evaporating right before our eyes?

Grocery stores have multiple self-checkouts with 1 employee managing all of them.
I went to buy a movie ticket and I was told to either A) Use the computers or B) Purchase the ticket at the concession stand (in line with people buying their food).
In the U.S. at Walmart, I saw conveyor belts as self-checkouts. You know what that means? Your full cart full of items, you can check out yourself, if you so wish of course.

Don't get me wrong. I love the technology and there are times when you may be in line and the self-checkouts are empty. But that's exactly the point. It will become more and more of an inconvenience to line-up, where you'll choose to serve yourself, when eventually those cashiers, who use to be needed for the big lines, will no longer be needed and replaced by these touchscreens.

I think it's time the public speak with their dollars and continue to use cashiers, keeping your family and friends employed.
I'm just really concerned that everything from "A First Job" to "My Career" is being replaced and we're all playing right into it. If the public doesn't use self-checkouts, cashiers will remain.
These stores will be hiring less staff, plain and simple.

Thoughts?
RedFlagDeals addict
334 replies
Oct 27, 2012
279 posts
204 upvotes
Shwa
Yes I agree, and we should also stop sending e-transfers as gifts and mail envelopes of cash to the person instead. This will keep my postal worker friend employed.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
206 upvotes
I hated them when they introduced at Home depot. And I still do.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1733 posts
924 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I'm upset that people select their own floor in elevators. Back in the good old days, each elevator had an elevator operator and you'd tell him which floor you wanted and he would move the elevator to your floor for you.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5040 posts
976 upvotes
Richmond Hill
certain jobs become obsolete over time. Heck, even certain professional jobs like doctors may become obsolete sometime in the future (like in the movies)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1898 posts
598 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Lol at the comments above me.

But seriously I get your concern OP. Unfortunately, the dollar is king and will be forever. Companies bottom line is to bring cash for their shareholders so why should they care about the poor sucker at the bottom of the food chain? And honestly I try myself to use cashier's at check out but as technology improves it will convert more and more people.

It's sad but it's reality.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4716 upvotes
Edmonton
Sorry, but "first time workers" will have to work a little harder to find that first job, it that's the result. Or the theatre can put the workers to work in the concession, or cleaning, or whatever else.

When comes to movies, or pre-ordering at Tim's, I can order in advance and walk through without standing in line. It's a no-brainer to bypass that. When it comes to groceries or Home Depot, I'll often chose the cashier because they can do it faster than I can if I have many items. So basically, some cashiers add no value to the transaction. If they're adding no value, I'm not going to "pay extra" for them just to sit there and take my money (plus wait in line).

Heck, my first job was pumping gas. Should I be all up in arms because the gas stations make us do that in most cases? At least down in the States, there used to be a discount for "self-serve". Never seemed to be the case up here.

C
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20007 posts
3907 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, it is no longer about customer service. It's about service yourself. Companies want you to do the jobs onced their responsibility. Look at Walmart. All their stores are setup the same way. You go in one and it is the same layout as the others. This way you know what you looking for without asking for assistance. Canadian Tire goes one further. It's web site gives you the location of the product of your chosen store.

There's nothing you can do about it at the cinemas, but you can make a difference at supermarkets. Do not use self check-outs. Even if they ask you. I do it all the time. At one time a cashier asked why I didn't use the self checkout for my one item. I told her I don't work for Walmart.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10206 posts
2002 upvotes
Montréal
I'd go way further than you some of guys: ppl w/ inferior genes should be banned from procreating lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6137 posts
1596 upvotes
Markham
Walmart has just added another technology....Scan and go which is even better than self checkout. You take a scanner at the front of the store and scan your items as you shop.

Lower prices and efficiency is the way the market is going unfortunately.
Images
  • IMG_20171116_131420.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
48 upvotes
I only go to a cashier if she is really hot. Otherwise the self-checkout will do fine with me.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2685 posts
648 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Not concerned at all about the reduction in check-out staff. Most of those positions here are staffed by foreign workers. Most of their wages are lost to Canada's economy because the go back home to support the rest of the family.
Dec 6, 2012
219 posts
69 upvotes
Montréal, QC
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 12:27 pm
Look at Walmart. All their stores are setup the same way. You go in one and it is the same layout as the others.
Wow absolutely not, I can tell you in the great Montreal area I can go in 10 WM that are completely different, with different layout.
Oct 24, 2016
493 posts
341 upvotes
ON
You can very well avoid the self checkouts if you want to keep the cashier busy and employed. But ultimately the higher cost of doing business will cause the retailer to increase prices of their goods/services. The money will ultimately come out of the customer's pocket.

Decreased cost of running a business should ultimately benefit the customer in the long run.

Just my opinion.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Pushing more work and costs on customers.

Shame how all those organic fruits and veggies get rung up using the wrong code.