• Mar 28th, 2019 7:23 am
Tags:
Jan 31, 2011
738 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:41 pm
Not a bad idea, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why you must put something into the bag after successfully scanning it. The machine won't let you scan the next item until it feels the weight of the thing you've just successfully scanned. What's the point of that?
Same frustration here. I don't use bag and there is just limited space on the scale surface. There is a "skip bagging" button but the supervisor will check on you after you hit it many times like you're trying to steal things. Very idiotic design, but I won't complain because they may try to place the scale on the floor right beneath where you stand.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6565 posts
244 upvotes
Stop using ATMs too then if thats your argument.

At least with self checkout I don't get asked to donate to charity or sign up for a credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5775 posts
2365 upvotes
There are some self checkouts that don't weigh (SDM) or partially weigh (Zehrs, and I assume Loblaws, where you can fill a bag on the scale, remove the bag, put on a new one and continue without being blocked).

Walmarts have the most rigourous weighing...you need an attendant to clear heavier reusable bags before you even start.
Aug 21, 2011
831 posts
216 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:45 pm

At least with self checkout I don't get asked to donate to charity or sign up for a credit card.
Charity donations? Several ones near me do and they put the buttons right in the area where you last pressed, makes me think they're hoping people rushing accidentally hit it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15993 posts
3115 upvotes
Toronto
bionicbadger wrote:

Can't make that argument because cashiers outnumber bank tellers. Also, bank tellers do more than just give out money. Cashiers scan items - that's their primary role.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
I've never had an ATM ask me to wait around while a bank teller comes by and clears an error code.
Apr 14, 2006
364 posts
214 upvotes
It's the minimum wage hike. You force the wages up where do you think all the jobs are going to? End of 24 hour stores, shorter hours, manufacturing gone.

You've made your bed you have to deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5665 posts
750 upvotes
Scarborough
yeah some Metro stores are no longer 24hrs, now they close early. No more night shifts.
Thanks to the high costs of everything in this country its becoming a crapshoot.
What will happen to the slow/unskilled people...........??

Just wait till Timmies and Mcdz start with robots fulfilling kitchen orders..........won't need humans.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:20 am
Mcdz start with robots fulfilling kitchen orders..........won't need humans.
I've already stopped going to cashiers because they never get my order right.
Ever since the introduction of the kiosk (and now the app) I haven't used a human cashier in quite a while.
On top of that, even with crazy orders, my orders are like 90% accurate, compared to the 10% accuracy even with a slight mod.

I, for one, welcome our new insect robot overlords
Feb 15, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
Personally, when it comes to shopping retail, I prefer a human cashier over a self-checkout
Nov 10, 2017
65 posts
24 upvotes
One day, when everything is automated, those of you who are mocking OP about his/her expressed disdain about this automation, will be whining about the good old days when we had human contact in stores. Of course companies that hired workers who had poor customer service skills won't be missed but the ones who smiled, said "Thank you, come again", and who bagged your items will be missed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5101 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
cal653 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:06 am
It's the minimum wage hike. You force the wages up where do you think all the jobs are going to? End of 24 hour stores, shorter hours, manufacturing gone.

You've made your bed you have to deal with it.
Yeah, self checkouts just started last year. Before that, companies never tried to get rid of or lower costs of employees.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16442 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart customers say they were forced to use self-checkout | CBC News
Loblaw Co., which owns Real Canadian Superstore and Shoppers Drug Mart, said it expects stores to always give customers the option of checking out with a cashier.

"We've now heard from a few customers that some [Shoppers] stores are encouraging those using credit or debit to use self-checkout," said spokesperson Catherine Thomas in an email.

"It is not our intention that customers feel they do not have a choice, and we have reminded all stores of this expectation."...

Shoppers and Superstore aren't the first stores to face accusations of mandatory self-checkout. In November, CBC News interviewed two Walmart customers who complained that no cashier lanes were open at their local store during certain hours.

Walmart Canada said its goal is to have a cashier available at all times.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5775 posts
2365 upvotes
I encountered a massive lineup at the one cashier at Shoppers the other day and the supervisor went down the line to try and direct people to the machines but everyone ahead of me was after lotto tickets, so so much for that. They still didn't open a second cash even though they had a human available.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16442 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lecale wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:22 am
everyone ahead of me was after lotto tickets
The stores should steer lotto addicts to special self-checkouts. That way they can waste as much time as they want choosing lotto numbers, buying as many cards as they like, etc. without inconveniencing everyone else whose IQ is greater than their shoesize and just wants to pay for their items.

lotterytax.jpg
veni, vidi, Visa