Shopping Discussion

Stop Using Self-Checkouts

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 12:20 am
Tags:
Member
Oct 14, 2014
444 posts
351 upvotes
Southern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 12:36 pm
Walmart has just added another technology....Scan and go which is even better than self checkout. You take a scanner at the front of the store and scan your items as you shop.

Lower prices and efficiency is the way the market is going unfortunately.
I would love if RCSS had this, then I wouldn't blow too far past the WUS $225/$250 offers.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
3749 posts
3446 upvotes
Vancouver
What is with the "please place the item into the bagging area" anti-theft device that every single one of these machines has? Does it actually accomplish anything other than cause unnecessary delays and annoy the customer? If somebody is going to shoplift something they sure as heck aren't going to scan it first.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4011 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:27 pm
What is with the "please place the item into the bagging area" anti-theft device that every single one of these machines has? Does it actually accomplish anything other than cause unnecessary delays and annoy the customer? If somebody is going to shoplift something they sure as heck aren't going to scan it first.
I think the "put the item in the bagging area" (weight checks) are designed to ensure that people aren't accidentally putting stuff into the bag without properly scanning them. I've accidentally scanned something and put it into the bag myself, not realizing that I accidentally scanned it improperly (and thus it would not have been added to my bill).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
3749 posts
3446 upvotes
Vancouver
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:36 pm
I think the "put the item in the bagging area" (weight checks) are designed to ensure that people aren't accidentally putting stuff into the bag without properly scanning them. I've accidentally scanned something and put it into the bag myself, not realizing that I accidentally scanned it improperly (and thus it would not have been added to my bill).
Not a bad idea, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why you must put something into the bag after successfully scanning it. The machine won't let you scan the next item until it feels the weight of the thing you've just successfully scanned. What's the point of that?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5546 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:41 pm
Not a bad idea, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why you must put something into the bag after successfully scanning it. The machine won't let you scan the next item until it feels the weight of the thing you've just successfully scanned. What's the point of that?
Could be for count purposes.
Not really effective for one item, but if you're buying 2 or more, it could be to ensure you're scanning the correct amount.

Still stupid as there's better ways of stealing $3 worth of goods, but it's probably one of the reasons.
Member
User avatar
Oct 26, 2012
486 posts
654 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 12:27 pm
Op, it is no longer about customer service. It's about service yourself. Companies want you to do the jobs onced their responsibility. Look at Walmart. All their stores are setup the same way. You go in one and it is the same layout as the others. This way you know what you looking for without asking for assistance. Canadian Tire goes one further. It's web site gives you the location of the product of your chosen store.

There's nothing you can do about it at the cinemas, but you can make a difference at supermarkets. Do not use self check-outs. Even if they ask you. I do it all the time. At one time a cashier asked why I didn't use the self checkout for my one item. I told her I don't work for Walmart.
I was agreeing with you but you lost me, I agree with "Op, it is no longer about customer service. It's about service yourself". Personally I have had no memorable experiences with cashier workers other than bad ones. Nothing outstanding, which makes sense because there's only so much "above and beyond" you could do with scanning an item and asking me if it's credit or cash. Customer service really gets lost when you're paying someone bottom dollar for them to put on a smile and deal with all kinds of people. People are also human, meaning they can have bad days, which don't make them bad people but can turn into a bad experience. I can't tell you how excited I was when my local No Frills put some self checkout machines because I can't tell you the amount times the cashier in the express lane is pissed/bored/out of it/tired and they take their time checking someone out and I end up waiting extra time before its my turn.

No thanks, if the ceiling for customer service at a grocery store checkout line is decent then I'll just service myself
Sr. Member
Jan 31, 2011
658 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:41 pm
Not a bad idea, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why you must put something into the bag after successfully scanning it. The machine won't let you scan the next item until it feels the weight of the thing you've just successfully scanned. What's the point of that?
Same frustration here. I don't use bag and there is just limited space on the scale surface. There is a "skip bagging" button but the supervisor will check on you after you hit it many times like you're trying to steal things. Very idiotic design, but I won't complain because they may try to place the scale on the floor right beneath where you stand.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 1, 2003
6511 posts
194 upvotes
Stop using ATMs too then if thats your argument.

At least with self checkout I don't get asked to donate to charity or sign up for a credit card.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4901 posts
1780 upvotes
There are some self checkouts that don't weigh (SDM) or partially weigh (Zehrs, and I assume Loblaws, where you can fill a bag on the scale, remove the bag, put on a new one and continue without being blocked).

Walmarts have the most rigourous weighing...you need an attendant to clear heavier reusable bags before you even start.
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2011
823 posts
202 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:45 pm
Stop using ATMs too then if thats your argument.

At least with self checkout I don't get asked to donate to charity or sign up for a credit card.
Charity donations? Several ones near me do and they put the buttons right in the area where you last pressed, makes me think they're hoping people rushing accidentally hit it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15173 posts
2090 upvotes
Toronto
bionicbadger wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:45 pm
Stop using ATMs too then if thats your argument.

At least with self checkout I don't get asked to donate to charity or sign up for a credit card.
Can't make that argument because cashiers outnumber bank tellers. Also, bank tellers do more than just give out money. Cashiers scan items - that's their primary role.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5546 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:45 pm
Stop using ATMs too then if thats your argument.
I've never had an ATM ask me to wait around while a bank teller comes by and clears an error code.
Member
Apr 14, 2006
350 posts
200 upvotes
It's the minimum wage hike. You force the wages up where do you think all the jobs are going to? End of 24 hour stores, shorter hours, manufacturing gone.

You've made your bed you have to deal with it.

Top