Mar 11, 2004
2680 posts
543 upvotes
Mississauga

Stopover options....

On my return light home I have an option at the same price to:
a) 30hours in Paris
b) 10hours in Amsterdam

Option A would mean I will have to find a hotel room but I would get to explore Paris for a day.
Option B would mean I simply crash at the airport.

What would you do? Can Paris stay be done on a budget?
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
In both places you can get a HoHo and get an overview of the city.
In my opinion, Amsterdam would be more difficult to see as it is quite difficult to get around with all the canals etc.
Paris would be easier to see and get in a couple main attestations like the Eiffel Tower.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1545 posts
868 upvotes
If you have the time, you probably can use the fare rules to actually book a longer stopover at minimal or no charge. You'd have to use a TA, directly book with the airline's call center, or use the 'multi-city' option on the website. Although "multi-city" often won't even properly exploit the stopover rules.

One of the tragedies of using those online airfare booking sites is that the fare rules and options aren't put right infront of you easily -- you have to go looking/searching for them. Most international fares usually have pretty decent stopover options.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1661 posts
653 upvotes
Tokyo
Have you been to either?
Do you have interest in either?
Is AMS layover during the day or night?

Budget is a very subjective term. Easier to be clear and say how much you are looking to spend.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7730 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
In Amsterdam you can take train to city centre to walk around, and take a boat tour of the canals. But 10hr is not a lot of time.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1736 posts
862 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Have personally experienced both connections with KLM/ Air France in the last year.

Amsterdam (had 9 hour layover there last month):
- quick train ride into the city centre (and inexpensive). We actually just took Uber both ways and it was roughly 30 Euros each way.
- If you are flying business or have the option based on your fare class to purchase lounge passes it is well worth it (KLM Lounge is the best in AMS). They have ample complimentary luggage storage lockers in the lounge (and good facilities to freshen up in between flights).
- weather (depending on what month) it’s was dreadful rainy cold day. We did get to squeeze in Anne Frank House (make reservations) which was always on my bucket list and do a quick walk around. Having been to Amsterdam before in my younger years in the summer I have never been too fascinated with the city itself. Had the weather been better we could of easily had time for a hop on hop off tour/canal cruise.

Paris (have had multiple layovers over the years- most recently had 26 hours in Dec 2017 and will be on a multi day stopover option on my way back from Italy next month)
- Much more to do/see
- You could stay in a central location (there’s so many hotel options don’t know what your budget is like).
- Depending on what time your flights are you could always stay by the airport and explore the city from there. Airport hotels can def be more lenient/less expensive with check in/check out times that without knowing your flight schedule may be better for you (I once arrived at CDG at 7am and my onwards flight didn’t leave until 6am the following day. Our hotel room was ready at 8am we were able to have a quick nap and then spent the afternoon / evening in the city. Given we had such an early flight it made staying at the airport less headache).
- Weather can be better then Amsterdam
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10871 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:27 pm
In Amsterdam you can take train to city centre to walk around, and take a boat tour of the canals. But 10hr is not a lot of time.
Yep, around 5 Euros for a 10-20 minute ride (depending on Express trains or local trains), that run every 10-15 minutes or so.

From Amsterdam Central, you can just walk into the hear of Amsterdam, head up to Dam Square, or hit the Red Light District - each are about a 10 minute walk away.

McKinsey has asked great questions though, so that we can better judge what you're interested in. What is your interest? Boat tours, museums, architecture?
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
506 upvotes
Absolute wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:23 pm
... What is your interest? Boat tours, museums, architecture?...
...Rijksmuseums , Van Gogh, joint with coffee, RLD, Sex Museum, just walking around...
eating wonderful herrings...Amsterdam with 10 hours --
good relaxed piece of time to look around and be at home later same day.

30 h in Paris is a different story, now you want some quality tourism from
1.5 day delay in coming home. You need bed, breakfast, dinner, some
serious plans, you get museum lines, tourist bus in traffic, squeezed like
a herring in a barrel in metro and CDG train...

So, i my opinion, in Amsterdam you can relax and in Paris you have to work.
And both are great cities!

Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2680 posts
543 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanx all. Booked the return through Amsterdam. I will either just crash at the airport and sleep for few hours or do a quick explore of the city.