Travel

Which stopover YOW or YYZ for 5.5/6.5 hrs?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 6:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1782 posts
226 upvotes
St. Johns

Which stopover YOW or YYZ for 5.5/6.5 hrs?

I have a choice between either a stopover in YYZ (6.5 hrs) or YOW (5.5 hrs) on my way home from a trip in August. I'm flying business so I'll have access to MLL but I wouldn't mind heading into the city for a coupe hours if it makes sense. Any suggestions on which might be better? I'm familiar with YYZ and I know I could take the UP Express into downtown but I'm not sure what my options would be for YOW.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
RyanS219 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 2:41 pm
I have a choice between either a stopover in YYZ (6.5 hrs) or YOW (5.5 hrs) on my way home from a trip in August. I'm flying business so I'll have access to MLL but I wouldn't mind heading into the city for a coupe hours if it makes sense. Any suggestions on which might be better? I'm familiar with YYZ and I know I could take the UP Express into downtown but I'm not sure what my options would be for YOW.
With 6.5 hours I doubt it’s worth venturing into YYZ.

From the arrival time> taxi to gate > walking to immigration (will even hope you have Nexus) = minimum 30-45 minutes. Given you are flying J your bags will come in first (IF you have to recheck them/ don’t know what or how you booked your ticket? But will assume you don’t have to touch them until your final destination).

Walk and board a UP Express (and get downtown)
(-1 hour)

Assuming you are flying domestic for the next leg that gives you 3- 3.5 hours in the city (including arriving back at Pearson at least 120 or 90 minutes from departure for your next flight).

Not worth it IMHO.

Can you take a later flight/ longer layover (if you want to include
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1782 posts
226 upvotes
St. Johns
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 3:10 pm
With 6.5 hours I doubt it’s worth venturing into YYZ.

From the arrival time> taxi to gate > walking to immigration (will even hope you have Nexus) = minimum 30-45 minutes. Given you are flying J your bags will come in first (IF you have to recheck them/ don’t know what or how you booked your ticket? But will assume you don’t have to touch them until your final destination).

Walk and board a UP Express (and get downtown)
(-1 hour)

Assuming you are flying domestic for the next leg that gives you 3- 3.5 hours in the city (including arriving back at Pearson at least 120 or 90 minutes from departure for your next flight).

Not worth it IMHO.

Can you take a later flight/ longer layover (if you want to include
You're probably right. Its a bit of a long layover in either case but not super long that you can make a full day in either city. My only option would be to stay over night and leave early the next morning.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7772 posts
1861 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, if the timing works out you'll be able to spend a couple of hours in Toronto. You'll have enough time to grab something to eat and look around the area a bit. You can judge the time when you land.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3938 posts
365 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
What time of day are you arriving? In Ottawa it could take a solid 45 mins - hour to get into town if its rush hour. The benefit is is that customs and taxi to the gate is super short compared to YYZ.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1782 posts
226 upvotes
St. Johns
Typhoonz wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 4:58 pm
What time of day are you arriving? In Ottawa it could take a solid 45 mins - hour to get into town if its rush hour. The benefit is is that customs and taxi to the gate is super short compared to YYZ.
If I choose Ottawa I would get in around 3:00 PM on a Saturday.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32840 posts
7081 upvotes
Ottawa
RyanS219 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 5:10 pm
Ottawa takes 1/2 hr at most to get downtown.
There is not much going on on a Saturday though and by the time you get downtown things are starting to close up. There are a few areas (Byward market )that has nice restaurants and touristy stuff.
Getting through airport security on a Saturday evening is a breeze.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3938 posts
365 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
RyanS219 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 5:10 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 5:29 pm
Ottawa takes 1/2 hr at most to get downtown.
There is not much going on on a Saturday though and by the time you get downtown things are starting to close up. There are a few areas (Byward market )that has nice restaurants and touristy stuff.
Getting through airport security on a Saturday evening is a breeze.
Yah, as Pete said, you'll be fine at that time of day on a Saturday.
Oct 3, 2011
324 posts
187 upvotes
OTTAWA
YOW is a tiny TINY airport. Don't come here unless you want to leave the airport to go see/do something in the ottawa area during your layover. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8790 posts
6210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
YOW = Ottawa Airport is way smaller than YYZ = Toronto Pearson
Which in this instance is a good thing
One can get in & out fairly quickly
And it’s pretty quick to downtown ... even by public transit
http://plan.octranspo.com/plan

I disagree with @Pete_Coach that things “in general” will be winding down come 4:00 PM or so on a Saturday
Maybe true for some tourist attractions (War Museum, Ntl Gallery etc)
But not all...
The last House of Commons Tours run @ 4:40 PM (book in advance)
https://rts.parl.ca/tickets?currentDate ... &Language=
And there are of course many places just to walk around outside & see
Such as Parliament Hill, Ntl War Memorial, Majors Hill Park, Peacekeepers Monument, Byward Market etc

Lol, 4 PM on a Saturday in the summertime
And Byward Market area Bars & Restaurants will be hitting their stride
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
RyanS219 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 3:40 pm
You're probably right. Its a bit of a long layover in either case but not super long that you can make a full day in either city. My only option would be to stay over night and leave early the next morning.
Where do you live? What is your final destination?

I’m sure I’m biased but there’s way more to see and do in Toronto and given you are here over a summer weekend there’s always something going on!

If you can extend your layover I would recommend that. Grab a hotel by the airport (you can find inexpensive options with free shuttle). If possible the Alt Hotel or Sheraton Gateway are connected to YYZ and give you access to the UP.

Get off the flight > check into the hotel with your bags > go downtown for the evening / after a nap lol. Then stay by the airport for your early flight the next day. With jetlag an early AM flight likely won’t be a big deal and you could roll out of bed and get going if you are staying by YYZ
GangStarr wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 6:35 pm
You should take advantage of air Canada stop over hotel program. Should be free or close to it for business class

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... pover.html
^^^excellent point. See if you can qualify!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32840 posts
7081 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:34 pm
YOW = Ottawa Airport is way smaller than YYZ = Toronto Pearson
Which in this instance is a good thing
One can get in & out fairly quickly
And it’s pretty quick to downtown ... even by public transit
http://plan.octranspo.com/plan

I disagree with @Pete_Coach that things “in general” will be winding down come 4:00 PM or so on a Saturday
Maybe true for some tourist attractions (War Museum, Ntl Gallery etc)
But not all...
The last House of Commons Tours run @ 4:40 PM (book in advance)
https://rts.parl.ca/tickets?currentDate ... &Language=
And there are of course many places just to walk around outside & see
Such as Parliament Hill, Ntl War Memorial, Majors Hill Park, Peacekeepers Monument, Byward Market etc

Lol, 4 PM on a Saturday in the summertime
And Byward Market area Bars & Restaurants will be hitting their stride
Not sure what you disagree with??
By the time you get off the aircraft and out the airport and to downtown, Parliament/House of Commons is closed.
I said Byward Market is open.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Dec 20, 2005
500 posts
38 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 2:47 pm
Not sure what you disagree with??
By the time you get off the aircraft and out the airport and to downtown, Parliament/House of Commons is closed.
I said Byward Market is open.
Can you read? His flight lands at 3PM, the last tour of the House of Commons starts at 4:40PM.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32840 posts
7081 upvotes
Ottawa
mcbg1 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 3:37 pm
Can you read? His flight lands at 3PM, the last tour of the House of Commons starts at 4:40PM.
Can you read? I asked what he disagreed with. What is your response to that??
He still has to get off the plane, then he has to get downtown (the link was to the public transportation which will take longer than 30 minutes).
I live in Ottawa, have done the tour many times when guests come to Ottawa, have stood in line to get tickets for the tour unless you have pre booked online. In the summer, on a Saturday, you generally have to have a reservation to do the tour.
But hey, if you have other things to do in Ottawa for a short stop on a Saturday late afternoon, by all means let us know.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)