• Oct 2nd, 2009 7:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes

In-store refunds for Costco online orders with Visa/MC

If you buy something from Costco.ca with a Visa or MC, and then return it in store, how do they offer your refund? Do they give you a gift card, or cash, or do they actually refund to the Visa/MC (even though they don't take them in store) ?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
15 replies
Apr 9, 2007
698 posts
1 upvote
Cant say specific about Costco but in general if you paid by credit card, you will get the refund processed back on the same credit card. This helps prevent fraud.
brunes wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:37 pm
If you buy something from Costco.ca with a Visa or MC, and then return it in store, how do they offer your refund? Do they give you a gift card, or cash, or do they actually refund to the Visa/MC (even though they don't take them in store) ?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3594 posts
497 upvotes
BC
I was told before that they give you cash as they do not have the proper equipment at the store to reimburse you via credit card. This was mentioned as a possible exploit -- using a rewards/cashback card and returning the item.

You'd -think- they would of fixed it by now, but who knows.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:37 pm
If you pay by credit, they credit your credit card
Debit......debit card
Cash........cash

THE END :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:46 pm
I was told before that they give you cash as they do not have the proper equipment at the store to reimburse you via credit card. This was mentioned as a possible exploit -- using a rewards/cashback card and returning the item.

NOPPER
Paid with AMEX, credited my Amex card
PS....they DO have the PROPER equipment in store

If you are a Costco Member and have the Costco Amex Card, you don't even need to give it to them as all the info is in their computers

Not sure where you got the info and why you were told they 'don't have the proper equipment' ummmmmmmm errrrrrr Costco has a very very good computer system. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3594 posts
497 upvotes
BC
NoFixedAddress wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:51 pm
NOPPER

If you are a Costco Member and have the Costco Amex Card, you don't even need to give it to them as all the info is in their computers

Not sure where you got the info and why you were told they 'don't have the proper equipment' ummmmmmmm errrrrrr Costco has a very very good computer system. :)
Sorry, I meant to say they don't have the proper equipment for Visa / Mastercard since they don't "accept" it. However, you can make purchases via Visa/MC online.

I seem to forget Amex is a credit card since most people don't use it for anything besides Costco (few exceptions) -- should just be called a Costco card :D .
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
urban1 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:44 pm
Cant say specific about Costco but in general if you paid by credit card, you will get the refund processed back on the same credit card. This helps prevent fraud.
Normally I agree but Costco does not accept Visa/MC at the POS in-store so I don't know if they can process such a refund?
NoFixedAddress wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 8:51 pm
NOPPER

I think you missed the part where I specifically said I purchased the item with a Visa/MC online. Costco does not accept Visa/MC - that is the whole point of this thread.
RiCHC3 wrote:
I was told before that they give you cash as they do not have the proper equipment at the store to reimburse you via credit card.
This is what I would expect... either cash or GC.
This was mentioned as a possible exploit -- using a rewards/cashback card and returning the item.

Yes, that would be an exploit now that I think about it..... though I have an actual defective item to return in this case :)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
May 31, 2006
87 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have done this.

I bought something online with VISA.

When you return to the store, they cannot return VISA (only AMEX are processed in store).

They will return in cash to you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
rays101 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:33 pm
I have done this.

I bought something online with VISA.

When you return to the store, they cannot return VISA (only AMEX are processed in store).

They will return in cash to you.
Good to know - thx!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
I have done this a few times. Its been posted about here frequently as well. What typically happens is that if its a large purchase, they put it straight into your account via your debit card.

For all those that posted earlier with wrong information, you may want to find out if you know what you're talking about first before posting things as fact in the future.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1461 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton
RiCHC3 wrote:
This was mentioned as a possible exploit -- using a rewards/cashback card and returning the item.

i dont understand what you mean by this "exploit" and rewards/cashback cards?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3569 posts
497 upvotes
Richmond
5abi wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 9:19 pm
i dont understand what you mean by this "exploit" and rewards/cashback cards?
for example...

1.) I purchase a $500 item on costco.ca and pay with my RBC Gold Visa - I get RBC Rewards points
2.) I return said item to a Costco store, and get $500 cash refund.
3.) I put that $500 cash onto my RBC Visa to negate the initial costco.ca purchase
4.) I will get/keep the RBC Rewards points because there was no refund transaction against my RBC Visa
5.) Use any accumulated points as I wish; redeem for merchandise, giftcards or switch them to points program channel partners (e.g. Esso) to redeem on partner sites.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
I guess another "exploit" would be to use it for a short term loan. I mean you can buy laptops online with your credit card, return them to the store for cash. A handful of expensive laptops could get you $10K in cash right away (well however long shipping takes). Depending on your CC cycle you would have a "loan" for over a month + any rewards.

Of course this is highly unethical. Costco is paying the price for this scenario because they are eating the transaction fees on your MC/VISA purchase.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:29 pm
Normally I agree but Costco does not accept Visa/MC at the POS in-store so I don't know if they can process such a refund?

I think you missed the part where I specifically said I purchased the item with a Visa/MC online. Costco does not accept Visa/MC - that is the whole point of this thread.

This is what I would expect... either cash or GC.

Yes, that would be an exploit now that I think about it..... though I have an actual defective item to return in this case :)
YEP I MISSED IT :o
Jan 3, 2004
89 posts
9 upvotes
The only part that negates the exploit is that it is rare that Costco.ca online has free shipping, so you might loose the shipping?? I don't know if they refund you the shipping or not. Never tried myself.

But I did ask about the VISA / MC card refund issue by calling the local store (since it's the local store that does the refund), and they said that they won't be able to refund on the card (I forgot exact words). So I bought w/ AMEX instead, to be on the safe side.
× < >