Shopping Discussion

Which store(s) you do not like, and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 8:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3955 posts
5639 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I don't like Metro and most drug stores, way to overpriced and never go in drug stores anyways. Went to Rexall one time and saw contact lens cleaner pack for 23$ then went to Walmart and saw the same one for 14$. It doesn't make logical sense to shop there, even at an ethical standpoint.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
I dislike Costco and Loblaws. Aside from their high prices, I find Costco's lack of bags, triple security (on the way in, cashier, on exit) annoying. Loblaws has the most deceptive price stickers.
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
68 upvotes
Costco! Because the purpose of shopping at Costco would normally be to save money and how can you save money when you buy way more than you had planned??? Regular shopping at Costco is a losing game.

It is great for those who only do occasional shopping, or buy a single large item heavily discounted, like a generator, for example.

Moreover, I think Costco is using all the tricks in the book to fool you and get you to buy more. As others have pointed out, cheap hot dogs and cheaper gasoline aren't enough to fool me.

Btw, like I said in another post, when I go Costco I leave my CC at home and only bring $100 cash. This way I know I won't spend more than $100 :) I control my spending and Costco has zero impact on my purchases. Also, I find a lot of stuff cheaper elsewhere. Buying in bulk does not always guarantee saving.

Costco is becoming a club I don't want to be a member of.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Costco is the only store I usually visit and wow do I prefer to shop online.

1. People in the parking area stop in the middle of the lane to get a place closer to the entrance, causing traffic in the parking area.
2. People inside the store leave their cart in the middle of the lane, causing traffic inside the store.
3. People blocking the lanes to get the free food sample, causing traffic inside the store.
4. No express lanes (10-15 items or less). I often see people with a cart full of items, then someone with 4-5 items behind waiting.
5. Not enough lanes to pay for your items.

Could probably go on and on, but the savings are worth it.
Unlike other people, I don't have the spending issue.
Always make a list of what you want to buy before going to Costco.
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11976 posts
3168 upvotes
Edmonton
Safeway and Sobeys. Especially after Sobeys bought Safeway.

The stores are dirty, customer washrooms are disgusting, they don't price match, the regular prices are insanely high, they are always out of stock on the couple of cheap loss leaders in the weekly flyer, and most of their promos and weekly sales are tied to airmiles which I no longer collect or am interested in.

On top of that they close stores but have stupid lease restrictions set in place so no future food or grocery retailer can reopen in the same spot again resulting in empty lots and boarded up locations increasing urban blight.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1746 posts
3106 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I hate the Apple store with a passion. I like Apple products but not the store. Maybe it's because of the number of people hanging out in there at any given time.
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1176 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
The Source because i dont need another cell phone or Bell service. Always being harassed about Bell services
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
I hate Canadian Tire: once you get in the store, you practically have to trample people in line in order to get out.

Plus they have inconsistent undesirable return/exchange policies.

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Sep 21, 2017
483 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
blainehamilton wrote: Safeway and Sobeys. Especially after Sobeys bought Safeway.

The stores are dirty, customer washrooms are disgusting, they don't price match, the regular prices are insanely high, they are always out of stock on the couple of cheap loss leaders in the weekly flyer, and most of their promos and weekly sales are tied to airmiles which I no longer collect or am interested in.

On top of that they close stores but have stupid lease restrictions set in place so no future food or grocery retailer can reopen in the same spot again resulting in empty lots and boarded up locations increasing urban blight.
Have to agree with this, since they were bought by sobeys its all gone down hill. The last time I went to safeway everything was so high priced and dirty. Like I picked up 3 different packs of meat and they were all dripping juices all the the place, they couldn't even be bothered to wrap them properly. Their sales are mostly a joke, I'm shocked anyone still shops there. The worst thing is I picked up a loaf of "butter crust" bread and the first ingredient was sugar, that is kinda crazy to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
I don't like Pet Smart because they don't have sodas for me to sit on while I'm reading their books.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: 1. You get no help from anyone working there
2. They never have any stock even though the website shows that they have it
3. The website sucks now that they turned it into a marketplace
4. Reserved an item yesterday only to get an email saying that they can't fulfill it
You sure you're not talking about NCIX?

psa-all-ncix-stores-ontario-closing-upd ... y-2113503/
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
subway. I can make my own coldcut sandwich tyvm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Easy answer. Value Village -- because they take donated merchandise (cost to them NIL) and flip them to sell at regular retail prices (100% profit) under the guise of being charitable (reality: charities get 5% or less of the net profits).
Imagine if you could have a garage sale every Saturday morning and sell all that old crap at original retail prices (and people actually buy it). That's Value Village.

The Lions' Club in my town collects for a gigantic yard sale every spring. People around town generously donate really good stuff thinking it will go to good use. It is a one day sale and not really promoted, so about 3/4 of the items don't sell. They have nowhere to store it, and instead of donating it to one of the other charity stores which are non-profit, every year Value Village comes around to pick up the thousands of excess items. This American owned, for profit company has fooled nearly everyone.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Dennislei wrote: For me, I do not like costco because too crowded and easy to over spend...
Yet u continue to renew ur membership? I don't like Costco 'cuz I need a membership!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
ALLCAPS wrote: I don't like Pet Smart because they don't have sodas for me to sit on while I'm reading their books.
Not sure if this is an auto-correct disaster or acid trip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
LOL, people complaining about Costco because they have such good stuff they are busy and people overspend. You people will never be happy!

I hate any store where I feel the items are overpriced because I'm paying for "the shopping experience".
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19728 posts
28596 upvotes
Vancouver
I hate shoe stores. High end, low end, big store, small shop...I find the whole shoe shopping experience painful. But I'm really picky about shoe comfort and have to try shoes on before I buy. So no online shopping for me—it's hold my nose and go to Aldo.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't shop at Walmart too much because the checkouts are horribly inefficient...how do other stores that are equally busy handle it so much better?

Princess Auto...I've been there a few times and it's always a frustrating experience to hunt down someone who can help you locate an item in all that mess.

Canadian Tire, The Bay and formerly Sears...these places inflate the price of their goods to a ridiculous amount and then have 50-75% off sales.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3488 upvotes
Victoria
Gee wrote: So you don't like Costco because they are successful at what they do?
I feel the same was as the OP about Costco and Walmart. They're both past insanely busy. You can't stop for a second to think about or look at something without being in someone's way. Shopping at those please you're simultaneously in everyone's way and everyone else is in your way. While the deals and the merch are good, the shopping experience leaves much to be desired (unless maybe your local store isn't a busy one).

Just because Costco is successful doesn't mean shopping there is fun, or even tolerable.

Where do I like shopping?

Amazon (it's online don't have to deal with swathes of people)
Save On Foods (prices aren't horrible if you get in the habit of rotating your shopping habits around what's on sale that week) - Everyone else is buying groceries at Walmart so you get to keep your sanity
Ditch Records - Local Record Store
Moore's - Dress Clothes for Work - They key is to buy everything at once (instead of a some things once and a while). If you plunk down all the coin at once it's quite the experience :)

Where do I loathe shopping:

Best Buy (you spend forever trying to find the thing they had onsale, only to find out they don't have any)
Walmart
Costco

I try to buy what I can online and avoid any place that's super busy. Need more online stores in Canada :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)