Shopping Discussion

Which store(s) you do not like, and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 8:59 pm
Tags:
Sep 21, 2017
13 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
blainehamilton wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:49 am
Safeway and Sobeys. Especially after Sobeys bought Safeway.

The stores are dirty, customer washrooms are disgusting, they don't price match, the regular prices are insanely high, they are always out of stock on the couple of cheap loss leaders in the weekly flyer, and most of their promos and weekly sales are tied to airmiles which I no longer collect or am interested in.

On top of that they close stores but have stupid lease restrictions set in place so no future food or grocery retailer can reopen in the same spot again resulting in empty lots and boarded up locations increasing urban blight.
Have to agree with this, since they were bought by sobeys its all gone down hill. The last time I went to safeway everything was so high priced and dirty. Like I picked up 3 different packs of meat and they were all dripping juices all the the place, they couldn't even be bothered to wrap them properly. Their sales are mostly a joke, I'm shocked anyone still shops there. The worst thing is I picked up a loaf of "butter crust" bread and the first ingredient was sugar, that is kinda crazy to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1948 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
I don't like Pet Smart because they don't have sodas for me to sit on while I'm reading their books.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Feb 22, 2016
850 posts
445 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:08 am
1. You get no help from anyone working there
2. They never have any stock even though the website shows that they have it
3. The website sucks now that they turned it into a marketplace
4. Reserved an item yesterday only to get an email saying that they can't fulfill it
You sure you're not talking about NCIX?

psa-all-ncix-stores-ontario-closing-upd ... y-2113503/
Feb 5, 2007
263 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
subway. I can make my own coldcut sandwich tyvm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1436 posts
461 upvotes
Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:58 pm
Easy answer. Value Village -- because they take donated merchandise (cost to them NIL) and flip them to sell at regular retail prices (100% profit) under the guise of being charitable (reality: charities get 5% or less of the net profits).
Imagine if you could have a garage sale every Saturday morning and sell all that old crap at original retail prices (and people actually buy it). That's Value Village.

The Lions' Club in my town collects for a gigantic yard sale every spring. People around town generously donate really good stuff thinking it will go to good use. It is a one day sale and not really promoted, so about 3/4 of the items don't sell. They have nowhere to store it, and instead of donating it to one of the other charity stores which are non-profit, every year Value Village comes around to pick up the thousands of excess items. This American owned, for profit company has fooled nearly everyone.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1532 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dennislei wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:18 pm
For me, I do not like costco because too crowded and easy to over spend...
Yet u continue to renew ur membership? I don't like Costco 'cuz I need a membership!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8368 posts
1572 upvotes
London
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:44 pm
I don't like Pet Smart because they don't have sodas for me to sit on while I'm reading their books.
Not sure if this is an auto-correct disaster or acid trip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8368 posts
1572 upvotes
London
LOL, people complaining about Costco because they have such good stuff they are busy and people overspend. You people will never be happy!

I hate any store where I feel the items are overpriced because I'm paying for "the shopping experience".
Jan 9, 2011
984 posts
513 upvotes
Vancouver
I hate shoe stores. High end, low end, big store, small shop...I find the whole shoe shopping experience painful. But I'm really picky about shoe comfort and have to try shoes on before I buy. So no online shopping for me—it's hold my nose and go to Aldo.
May 28, 2012
9476 posts
1798 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't shop at Walmart too much because the checkouts are horribly inefficient...how do other stores that are equally busy handle it so much better?

Princess Auto...I've been there a few times and it's always a frustrating experience to hunt down someone who can help you locate an item in all that mess.

Canadian Tire, The Bay and formerly Sears...these places inflate the price of their goods to a ridiculous amount and then have 50-75% off sales.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7513 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:40 pm
So you don't like Costco because they are successful at what they do?
I feel the same was as the OP about Costco and Walmart. They're both past insanely busy. You can't stop for a second to think about or look at something without being in someone's way. Shopping at those please you're simultaneously in everyone's way and everyone else is in your way. While the deals and the merch are good, the shopping experience leaves much to be desired (unless maybe your local store isn't a busy one).

Just because Costco is successful doesn't mean shopping there is fun, or even tolerable.

Where do I like shopping?

Amazon (it's online don't have to deal with swathes of people)
Save On Foods (prices aren't horrible if you get in the habit of rotating your shopping habits around what's on sale that week) - Everyone else is buying groceries at Walmart so you get to keep your sanity
Ditch Records - Local Record Store
Moore's - Dress Clothes for Work - They key is to buy everything at once (instead of a some things once and a while). If you plunk down all the coin at once it's quite the experience :)

Where do I loathe shopping:

Best Buy (you spend forever trying to find the thing they had onsale, only to find out they don't have any)
Walmart
Costco

I try to buy what I can online and avoid any place that's super busy. Need more online stores in Canada :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7513 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
Ottomaddox wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:52 am
LOL, people complaining about Costco because they have such good stuff they are busy and people overspend. You people will never be happy!

I hate any store where I feel the items are overpriced because I'm paying for "the shopping experience".
What if your stuck in the place where you love the merch and prices but hate the fact theirs too many people in the store for the size of the store. That's where i'm at. I shop there because I like the stuff, but the experience is a rough one. Hence why I only go every couple of months and stock up on the stuff I like.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
zod wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:38 pm
What if your stuck in the place where you love the merch and prices but hate the fact theirs too many people in the store for the size of the store. That's where i'm at. I shop there because I like the stuff, but the experience is a rough one. Hence why I only go every couple of months and stock up on the stuff I like.
If you shop at stores where there are little people, they can’t make a profit and have to increase prices or eventually go out of business.

Costco is busy and they move volume. Hence lower prices. No point in having inventory if it doesn’t sell and if no one comes, it won’t sell
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8368 posts
1572 upvotes
London
zod wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:38 pm
I think you need to figure out when it ain't busy. The google review thing has a decent "popular time" feature that can find slightly less busy times.