Shopping Discussion

Stores that charge tax but dont give receipts.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2011 6:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1742 upvotes

Stores that charge tax but dont give receipts.

There are a lot of stores who charge you tax but dont give receipt and sometimes only give you credit card receipt just shows total only. This particularly happens at ethnic stores who sell groceries/meats/restaurants etc. Other than not going back what else can be done? I have tried to avoid these retailers but running out of options. Confronting them and demanding a receipt yields no reaction. They dont understand what the big deal is all about, and other times frown upon like I have done a blasphemy.

Its not my business to know if they pay tax or not but why should they charge me for that when they get to keep it in their pocket. On a weekly basis this is turning out to be a lot of money that I lose.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
What about the TTC who takes in cash, and never gives a receipt? Who knows where all that cash is going?? > :(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5033 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
CRXGSR wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 4:54 pm
What about the TTC who takes in cash, and never gives a receipt? Who knows where all that cash is going?? > :(

Public transit is an exempt service, there's no tax on it or built into the price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
mrperfect wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 2:36 pm
There are a lot of stores who charge you tax but dont give receipt and sometimes only give you credit card receipt just shows total only. This particularly happens at ethnic stores who sell groceries/meats/restaurants etc. Other than not going back what else can be done? I have tried to avoid these retailers but running out of options. Confronting them and demanding a receipt yields no reaction. They dont understand what the big deal is all about, and other times frown upon like I have done a blasphemy.

Its not my business to know if they pay tax or not but why should they charge me for that when they get to keep it in their pocket. On a weekly basis this is turning out to be a lot of money that I lose.
It's not your business? Then whose business is it? Do you pay taxes? Where do our taxes go? Of course it's your business. It's everyone's business because if you and I pay taxes, I certainly expect everyone else to pay. You should as well. It's what makes our country go round.
Dec 16, 2004
691 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
mrperfect wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 2:36 pm

Just because they're not giving receipts doesn't automatically mean they aren't submitting taxes - especially if they are taking credit card payments. It would be difficult in an audit to hide credit card transactions. I know some places defintely take cash to avoid taxes but that can really be done with or without a receipt - especially if the receipts they give are just numbers and no description like those old school cash registers give out. A lot of chain convenience stores like Mac's and stuff don't give receipts for purchases and if you ask they act like it's the biggest inconvenience in the world to them but these places would more than likely be on the "up and up" as far as taxes go as their cash registers are all electronic. This actually really annoys me because you never know if they charged you the correct amount if you are buying a bunch of small things.
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
I remember one time, this guy at the CS desk at the Greyhound Bus Terminal was telling people, you have to pay $10 for extra luggage tag, not giving recipt because he would have to charge tax - so he was probably pocketing the funds ... never saw him work there again.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19019 posts
1473 upvotes
Anyone who charges HST is required by law to give you a receipt if you ask, and said receipt has to have their HST# on it.

But if you DON'T ask they don't have to give you one.

Once a store reaches a certain volume of traffic they start printing them by default to save time because there are a significant number of people who will ask for receipts for everything you can imagine, because it's important to be able to expense them if you are purchasing them item for a business or on a sales trip, etc.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings