Automotive

Storing car outdoors for the winter. Any tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2015 6:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
5866 posts
478 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Storing car outdoors for the winter. Any tips?

I will be leaving my '94 Camry outdoors in my driveway during the winter. I'm going to buy a car cover for it, most likely this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 4396672486

Is there anything that I should do or know before I put the cover on it for a few months?

Thank you :)
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2325 posts
74 upvotes
Check with toyota if they have a car cover specifically for your model.

It will provide a much better fit. I bought the genuine lexus cover for my car and it fits like a glove with all the proper cutouts.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1885 posts
75 upvotes
generally storing a car outside and putting a cover over it is not a good way to store it. moisture from the ground goes up and gets trapped underneath which may cause rust/mold/etc
May 9, 2006
608 posts
4 upvotes
ya.. storing your car outside is a really bad idea, speaking from personal experience.. but if you must, definitely DO NOT leave the handbrake on, it'll seize and depending on how bad its seized, you might need a to tow it in just to pop it loose again, plus if you already have a little bit of rust, prepare for it to get A LOT worse..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
5866 posts
478 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Well that's not good news for me :razz: . The car does have a bit of rust, especially underneath it.

I have no choice but to store it outside, though.

This might sound stupid, but it doesn't hurt to ask: Is there anything I can put under the car to protect it, like a cover that goes underneath too?
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…
you should start the car once every couple weeks to keep the car fluids running/circulating in the system
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
5866 posts
478 upvotes
Ajax, ON
etherfast wrote:
Sep 28th, 2008 9:07 pm
you should start the car once every couple weeks to keep the car fluids running/circulating in the system
Sounds like a good idea. 30 seconds should probably be enough, right?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3774 posts
2910 upvotes
Toronto
There are also car shelters at Cdn Tire, which are basically a temporary garage. I've seen them for less than $200 (I think) at Costco, as well. A little bit more $$ than a cover, but you won't have the problem of moisture being trapped within it, plus you can easily drive away without fiddling with removing the cover, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1396 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Pr0metheus wrote:
Sep 28th, 2008 9:10 pm
Sounds like a good idea. 30 seconds should probably be enough, right?
Try 10 minutes. You need to warm the engine and oil at least.
Oct 2, 2007
342 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I've read at bobistheoilguy website forum that warming the car up without driving it would cause you more trouble than its worth, like gelling the engine oil... If I were you, I'd post a question there for this..
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16478 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't mind me asking, why are you keeping it outside and what are you driving this winter? A '94 Camry has 'winter beater' written all over it.
Sep 26, 2008
8 posts
toronto
If you want to protect the bottom against majority of the snow, put a tarp or two underneath it extending to just the bottom door panels, strapped firmly to the body or whatever you can attach it to. Covering the entire wheel would be a good idea as well. Staple gun some old clothing or fabric to the tops of some large pieces of plywood and surround the vehicle so snow won't drift under.

Mostly this helps for those mounds of snow and drifts that love to collect under the vehicle. If you wrap it well enough barely anything should touch the body except for the actual air moisture, which is still problem enough on its own.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8244 posts
3972 upvotes
gherikill wrote:
Sep 28th, 2008 9:52 pm
Try 10 minutes. You need to warm the engine and oil at least.

+1

Def not for 30 seconds .... you might as well not start it then.

Leave it on until the car fully warms up. I would also take it for a small spin (provided you are in a residential area) just so the breaks dont cease.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
You need to actually drive it around to get the lubricants circulated. Also, if you don't move the car, the tires will get flat spots and you'll hear thump-thump-thump all spring.
Jul 31, 2005
381 posts
49 upvotes
get it rust proofed @ krown, we have a 98 voyager no rust whatsoever