Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4333 posts
798 upvotes

Storing car underground

Hi there,

I will be storing my car in our underground parking lot this winter. I'm wondering about the battery, should I have some sort of charger, maintainer to regulate the battery? It will most likely die again if I don't start the car every day or 2. I went to canadian tire and I wasn't sure what to get. Some say to just disconnect the battery till spring, some said to start it up every week?? I don't know, kind of lost.

Thanks
6 replies
Aug 29, 2009
771 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
yes turn it on if u can for a 10min or so. not only it help keep battery but fluids moving.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
White Comet wrote: Hi there,

I will be storing my car in our underground parking lot this winter. I'm wondering about the battery, should I have some sort of charger, maintainer to regulate the battery? It will most likely die again if I don't start the car every day or 2. I went to canadian tire and I wasn't sure what to get. Some say to just disconnect the battery till spring, some said to start it up every week?? I don't know, kind of lost.

Thanks
If you can't hook up the battery to a smart charger and don't plan an consistently starting it up;just remove the battery and store it inside your condo.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
White Comet wrote: Hi there,

Thanks
If you battery can't hold charge for a day or two, the battery is no good.
Switch to a new battery in the spring.

Do not start the car until spring. No engine movement equals no engine wear.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
luism wrote: yes turn it on if u can for a 10min or so. not only it help keep battery but fluids moving.
Worst advice. Once a vehicle is stored, don't touch it until spring.
Most wear happens during the first few seconds of an engine start.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4333 posts
798 upvotes
To add some information, I just bought a new battery for the car because the old one died. Bit since then, I didn't start the car for 4 weeks or so and the new battery died as well. I would boost it and drive it around but I guess I don't drive enough, it dies again. Should I somehow fully charge it first before completely removing it from the car?

If I remove it from the car, do I need to plug on a maintainer or something to the electric outlet?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
BDSL wrote: Worst advice. Once a vehicle is stored, don't touch it until spring.
Most wear happens during the first few seconds of an engine start.

+1. Also starting a car and letting it idle for 10 mins won't bring the engine to NOT (normal operating temperature) long enough. All this will do is create some heat allowing for moisture to build in the exhaust system, rusting it out prematurely.

OP, if you can't park the car for 4 weeks without a brand new battery holding a charge then I'm afraid you may have issues with excess parasitic drain from one or more of your electronic parts

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)