Home & Garden

Storing refrigerator outside in cold weather?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2009 8:34 pm
Tags:
None
May 3, 2009
15 posts

Storing refrigerator outside in cold weather?

I am in the process of finishing construction of my place. While it is being finished, I am storing my refrigerator in my garage. Will storing a refrigerator outside in the garage cause it to be damaged by cold weather (below freezing)?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14656 posts
1457 upvotes
We have a freezer in the garage for the past 6+ years and it's been fine. The older owner had one in the garage for a long time as well.

Not sure about a fridge, but a freezer seems fine.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
I've also had a freezer in the garage for 5 years. It was left by the previous owner. I also have an old refrigerator that has been in there for almost 5 years as well. I haven't used it but I don't think there would be a problem. It just dawned on me that a friend keeps a beer fridge in his garage so it should be no problem. Note it is warmer in the garage than outside. I store my pop in the garage in the winter and it is always cold but never frozen.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It'll be fine. We've a fridge in our garge at this house for the last 7 years and one in an unheated mudroom at our last house for 6 years. Freezers too. In the winter they just don't work as hard and the temps are already low.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1429 posts
83 upvotes
Depending on where the thermostat for your fridge is, you may have problems with your freezer not freezing in the winter. Because your fridge doesn't need to work as hard in the winter, it may not run long enough to get the freezer section as cold as it needs to be.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
abstract808 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 10:16 am
Depending on where the thermostat for your fridge is, you may have problems with your freezer not freezing in the winter. Because your fridge doesn't need to work as hard in the winter, it may not run long enough to get the freezer section as cold as it needs to be.
+1. I learned it when a bag of ice I had in freezer section started to leak when temp. in garage dropped to around freezing level. Thermostat simply did not turn motor on so temp. in freezer raised to the same level as in garage. Dual motor model probably should be fine because they likely have independent thermostats for both chambers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
Within the freon there is a certain amount of oil, sometimes depending on how well insulated the garage is the oil tends to get a bit thicker and more difficult to flow. The garage for the most part doesn't get to the point of freezing so you all should be ok.
× < >