• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2017 12:07 pm
Tags:
Aug 30, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote

Strange Marking on a "new" part

Hi all,
I'm hoping to find the source (GTA salvage yard) of this lower control arm that was sold to me as new. Everyone who sees it says its defintely not new but I need to narrow down where it actually came from!
Thanks so much
Images
  • IMG_20170814_093859.jpg
18 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Who sold it to you as new?
Why would finding the salvage yard help as it's the guy who took it from them and sold it to you that you're having an issue with.

Also the marking means nothing (almost nothing) in your case to find the yard.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Looks like it's a quality control/inspection marking often seen in manufacturing. It wouldn't prove if it's new or used. The condition of the part would tell you that.
Post a better pic of the part itself.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 30, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
I want to find the yard because the insurance company is saying it's a new part. I have no gripe with the salvage yard. The dealer is the one who brought the marking to my attention and they insist that would never appear on a new OEM part.
I took that picture while it was up on a hoist so it will be difficult for me to get a good pic of the part itself.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
its not new. you can see the rust on the edges.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
trixstar wrote: its not new. you can see the rust on the edges.
This. Plus the staining and discoloration on most of the part. And that marking looks like a salvage yard inventory mark as opposed to a factory line inspection or quality control type of mark.

I think you should just go back to the insurance company and tell them you didn't get a new part as required.

That picture alone should be evidence enough and if they're not convinced they can send their own insurance adjuster out to the shop to look at in person!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
The yellow marker is used at scrap yards to indicate the condition of the part, where it came from (ie L/R), if it can be sold, etc. I doubt its new.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
That part is def used, look at the rust and discolouration... Typical shady mechanic prob charged you for a new part and then used a salvaged part at 1/4 the price
Aug 30, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Shady mechanic? Don't forget the potential co-conspirator: the insurance company. In fact, the QC guy from the insurance company was standing next to me as I took that picture. What a tangled web.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Please name the insurance company OP...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Vivekunuda74 wrote: Shady mechanic? Don't forget the potential co-conspirator: the insurance company. In fact, the QC guy from the insurance company was standing next to me as I took that picture. What a tangled web.
Escalate complaint higher in insurance company.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7632 upvotes
ON
How can you guys see rust and discoloration in that pixelated picture from the ATARI age ? Using the CSI enhance method ??
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dilligafeh wrote: How can you guys see rust and discoloration in that pixelated picture from the ATARI age ? Using the CSI enhance method ??
How do you NOT see it? The rusty looking area under marking in the lower 25% of the image. Agreed it isn't HD quality but it's pretty easily identifiable as a rusty area.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Why would anything from a salvage yard be new?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
that marking doesn't mean it's new or old

sometimes new parts have markings on them

no clue why
Feb 4, 2017
464 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
I work in a dealership parts department, not uncommon for suspension parts to have markings similar to this. nor is it uncommon for surface rust to build while it is sitting on a shelf at the warehouse.

new or not, the only real concern should be the condition of the bushing on the control arm. that would be a better place to look if its used or new.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Tried google reverse image search and it's freezing up!
Aug 30, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
According to the manufacturer, they won't ever mark as such. It has been escalated, again, I'm just looking for something more definitive to take to them to end the back and forth.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7632 upvotes
ON
CanadianLurker wrote: How do you NOT see it? The rusty looking area under marking in the lower 25% of the image. Agreed it isn't HD quality but it's pretty easily identifiable as a rusty area.
That could be grease/dirt or rust. Why should I state it's rust 100% when in reality I can't tell because of the shitty picture. This is not Wheel of Fortune fill in the blanks.
_ U_T. Could be R U S T could be C U N T.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)