• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 11:33 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 30th, 2016 4:02 pm
nevermind that I was just playing smash a few weeks ago, but how is it even relevant or a point to this topic that I'm no longer playing WiiU games from 2 years ago that I already put tons of hours in back when those games were relevant? Is it surprising that I moved on from 2 year old games I already played a ton?
you sound super defensive about this game being received poorly when I'm just linking the message that came from other people. Maybe go on reddit and argue whatever your point is with them instead of me?

No kidding. If you read the article and the comments in that thread, crazy Capcom expected this game to sell 2 million by now since the reported the 1.4 a few months back but it didn't even do 100K despite the promotion it got during EVO. On top of that the people who own it and still play it sound really upset and have tons of complaints
You claim that, but then by your logic, are all the old games you play on Steam like Wolfenstein the New Order still relevant in 2016?

I play a bunch of different fighting games. Not just Street Fighter. There are great fighting game series like Guilty Gear Xrd,
and BlazBlue that don't break 1 million in sales and release another upgraded game every year or two.

It is also fairly ignorant that the guy that loves to rant about Street Fighter V and thinks Smash is so great does not even have Street Fighter V.
Super Smash Wii U released over $100 of DLC content. I bought all of the Smash DLC because, to me, it was worth it.

Also Super Smash Wii U's story mode endings amounted to this:

Every character in Super Smash pretty much had no story, and for the endings, it is just a montage of each character striking a bunch of poses and random cuts of them doing
their special moves. 8 to 10 second endings for each character and no spoken dialogue.

The point is, it is not 1992. Peak Street Fighter series popularity was in 1992 when
arcades were a thing in North America. Several other fighting games have
broken Street Fighter II's sales records a long time ago.

Many other fighting games have surpassed the popularity of Street Fighter II if you go by
sales numbers.

Franchises: # of games sold

1. Tekken - 48 million[4]
2. Super Smash Bros.- 38 million
3. Mortal Kombat - 37 million
4. Street Fighter - 36 million
5. Soulcalibur - 12 million

Game sales:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 13.10 million[1]
Tekken 3 - 8.5 million [2]
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 7.04 million[1]
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 8.12 million[1]
Mortal Kombat (2011) - ~7 million (including PC)
Street Fighter II: The World Warriors - 6.3 million[3]
Super Smash Bros. - 5.55 million[1]
Mortal Kombat X - 5 million (2015)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 4.80 million[1]
Street Fighter II Turbo - 4.1 million[3]

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_sell ... ting_games

Notice how great Street Fighter games like Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike,
and none of the Street Fighter Alpha games are on there.

These days the popularity of Arcades is relegated to Japan and Asia only.

Capcom's own reported lifetime sales numbers (last updated June 2016):

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/fina ... ank06_area

Capcom's fighting games:

Street Fighter II (SNES) 6.3 million units
Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) 4.1 million units
Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, DL) 3.4 million units
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3, 360, DL) 2.2 million units
Super Street Fighter II (SNES) 2.0 million units
Super Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, DL) 1.9 million units
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3, 360, DL) 1.8 million units
Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition (MD - Sega Genesis) 1.65 million units
Street Fighter V (PS4, PC) 1.4 million units
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS3, 360, DL) 1.4 million units
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3, 360, DL) 1.2 million units
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3, 360, DL) 1.1 million units
Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, PC, DL) 1.0 million units
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1) 1.0 million units

The rest of the Street Fighter games including Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2,
Street Fighter EX, Street Fighter II: The Movie game, etc, failed to sell over 1 million units.

Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10821 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2016 8:56 pm
You claim that, but then by your logic, are all the old games you play on Steam like Wolfenstein the New Order still relevant in 2016?

I play a bunch of different fighting games. Not just Street Fighter. There are great fighting game series like Guilty Gear Xrd,
and BlazBlue that don't break 1 million in sales and release another upgraded game every year or two.

It is also fairly ignorant that the guy that loves to rant about Street Fighter V and thinks Smash is so great does not even have Street Fighter V.
Super Smash Wii U released over $100 of DLC content. I bought all of the Smash DLC because, to me, it was worth it.

Also Super Smash Wii U's story mode endings amounted to this:

Every character in Super Smash pretty much had no story, and for the endings, it is just a montage of each character striking a bunch of poses and random cuts of them doing
their special moves. 8 to 10 second endings for each character and no spoken dialogue.

The point is, it is not 1992. Peak Street Fighter series popularity was in 1992 when
arcades were a thing in North America. Several other fighting games have
broken Street Fighter II's sales records a long time ago.

Many other fighting games have surpassed the popularity of Street Fighter II if you go by
sales numbers.

Franchises: # of games sold

1. Tekken - 48 million[4]
2. Super Smash Bros.- 38 million
3. Mortal Kombat - 37 million
4. Street Fighter - 36 million
5. Soulcalibur - 12 million

Game sales:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 13.10 million[1]
Tekken 3 - 8.5 million [2]
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 7.04 million[1]
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 8.12 million[1]
Mortal Kombat (2011) - ~7 million (including PC)
Street Fighter II: The World Warriors - 6.3 million[3]
Super Smash Bros. - 5.55 million[1]
Mortal Kombat X - 5 million (2015)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 4.80 million[1]
Street Fighter II Turbo - 4.1 million[3]

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_sell ... ting_games

Notice how great Street Fighter games like Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike,
and none of the Street Fighter Alpha games are on there.

These days the popularity of Arcades is relegated to Japan and Asia only.

Capcom's own reported lifetime sales numbers (last updated June 2016):

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/fina ... ank06_area

Capcom's fighting games:

Street Fighter II (SNES) 6.3 million units
Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) 4.1 million units
Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, DL) 3.4 million units
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3, 360, DL) 2.2 million units
Super Street Fighter II (SNES) 2.0 million units
Super Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, DL) 1.9 million units
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3, 360, DL) 1.8 million units
Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition (MD - Sega Genesis) 1.65 million units
Street Fighter V (PS4, PC) 1.4 million units
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS3, 360, DL) 1.4 million units
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3, 360, DL) 1.2 million units
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3, 360, DL) 1.1 million units
Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, PC, DL) 1.0 million units
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1) 1.0 million units

The rest of the Street Fighter games including Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2,
Street Fighter EX, Street Fighter II: The Movie game, etc, failed to sell over 1 million units.

Wow...it's crazy how on the SNES for example...specifically (because this was the beginning of the ARCADE quality games at home era)...had LOWER sales figures after Street Fighter II was released, even though each version was a BIGGER and BETTER version than the previous SNES version. I mean Super Steer Fighter II on the SNES was mind-blowing back then. I bought that game DAY 1...because I pumped so many coins in the Arcade playing Super Street Fighter II, I thought to myself I will be saving hundreds by just getting it at home and practicing it with friends on my SNES back in the day.

I got Street Fighter II for the Super Famicom for about $200+ back it the day when I first got the Super Famicom (before selling the console and getting a N/A SNES instead...even though the design looks like crap compared to the Super Famicom/Euro SNES). I spent all my pocket money on that console and game when it first came out and imported it from Japan. Street Fighter II was an in demand grey market cart for the Super Famicom that the price was through the roof. But it was all worth it to me. :)
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 23rd, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote:
Jul 31st, 2016 7:26 pm
Wow...it's crazy how on the SNES for example...specifically (because this was the beginning of the ARCADE quality games at home era)...had LOWER sales figures after Street Fighter II was released, even though each version was a BIGGER and BETTER version than the previous SNES version. I mean Super Steer Fighter II on the SNES was mind-blowing back then. I bought that game DAY 1...because I pumped so many coins in the Arcade playing Super Street Fighter II, I thought to myself I will be saving hundreds by just getting it at home and practicing it with friends on my SNES back in the day.

I got Street Fighter II for the Super Famicom for about $200+ back it the day when I first got the Super Famicom (before selling the console and getting a N/A SNES instead...even though the design looks like crap compared to the Super Famicom/Euro SNES). I spent all my pocket money on that console and game when it game out. Street Fighter II was an in demand grey market cart for the Super Famicom that the price was through the roof. But it was all worth it to me. :)
I was reading some of the topics in the King of Fighters XIV board and someone posted this:

The rise and fall of SNK.

The SNES and Genesis could not handle arcade perfect ports.

That's where the SNK Neo Geo came in. It was Arcade quality without compromises.
The Neo Geo launched at a price of $599 USD when the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were $200.

Neo Geo games were $200 to $250 USD each compared to the $50-70 of SNES/Genesis games.
Some Neo Geo games sell for over $1000 each on eBay now because they are rare.

The SNES version had changes in sound, music and sprite quality compared to the arcade cabinet.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10821 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2016 8:36 pm
I was reading some of the topics in the King of Fighters XIV board and someone posted this:

The rise and fall of SNK.

The SNES and Genesis could not handle arcade perfect ports.

That's where the SNK Neo Geo came in. It was Arcade quality without compromises.
The Neo Geo launched at a price of $599 USD when the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were $200.

Neo Geo games were $200 to $250 USD each compared to the $50-70 of SNES/Genesis games.
Some Neo Geo games sell for over $1000 each on eBay now because they are rare.

The SNES version had changes in sound, music and sprite quality compared to the arcade cabinet.
Yes, the Neo Geo was great...and super expensive. You know why the game carts were for $200+ each for the Neo Geo? Because they basically were the SAME Arcade boards used in the Arcade Neo Geo cabinets...basically each Game Cart had it's own hardware on it's board...the main Console was just pretty much an OS and a shell.

So of course the SNES had a sacrifice in terms of sound/sprites...but damn were they close to the Arcades. I thought that Super Street Fighter II and even SF II and Turbo were excellent Arcade Ports for a home console. And by the way, my two fave Street Fighter II Theme music tracks are those of Guile and Cammy...and both sounded phenomenal on the SNES. In fact, the SNES versions (as usual) of the Street Fighter games blew away the Genesis/Mega Drive versions of the same games in terms of Sound and Graphics. No comparison. Only the Sega CD...obviously...would be better because of the CD quality sound...but the graphics were not as good as the SNES (except for some Anime style FMV videos...but the graphics otherwise and colours were not as good as the SNES).

Too bad the SNK NEO GEO console was for a niche market for rich people only. It was an awesome Fighting Game console...since the majority of NEO GEO games were fighting games.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 23rd, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
Terrible player lies about being good to play against Justin Wong on the live Twitch steam.

- When asked, he said he grew up playing at the arcades in the 90s, said he wsa good with using most of the characters and he mostly plays Street Fighter V over at his friend's house on XBox One
- When he had an arcade stick at the stage, he says he prefers to use a controller
- Gootecks and Justin Wong were professional about it and somewhat taught him how to play.
- The twitch stream roasted him in the comments

Last edited by XFactor11 on Aug 22nd, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2457 posts
460 upvotes
Scarborough
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2016 12:40 pm
Terrible player lies about being good to play against Justin Wong on the live Twitch steam.

- When asked, he said he grew up playing at the arcades in the 90s, said he wsa good with using most of the characters and he mostly plays Street Fighter V over at his friend's house on XBox One
- He brought an arcade stick onto the stage, but then says he prefers to use a controller
- Gootenks and Justin Wong were professional about it and somewhat taught him how to play.
First lesson. Never trust a man that wears pink knee high socks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 9:58 am
OT: Anyone here play KOF? Got my copy yesterday from BB but no time to play yet. :(
I bought KOF XIV last week. There are a bunch of stores in the GTA that break street dates.
It has good reviews 81% average on metacritic.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ghters-xiv

I played through story mode and it is Japanese voiced only and filled with hammy acting as a result.

I would rank it behind Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat , Tekken, and
Guilty Gear though despite being a good fighting game.

Add me on PSN if you want to play sometime.
Team Art of Fighting is a ripoff of Street Fighter's Ken, Ryu and Sakura. Zarina is also very similar to Christie Monteiro from Tekken.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1023 posts
117 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 4:03 pm

Team Art of Fighting is a ripoff of Street Fighter's Ken, Ryu and Sakura. Zarina is also very similar to Christie Monteiro from Tekken.
What's your PSN id?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 4:32 pm
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 4:03 pm

What's your PSN id?
My main one is X-Factor11 but I play online on a bunch of PSN IDs.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
^ I posted this in the Freebies section but there is a free dynamic (moving & rotating images) King of Fighters XIV PS4 theme on the PSN store.
Probably the best and most stylish free theme I've seen given away IMO.

Download link for the free King of Fighters XIV dynamic (moving) theme on the psn store:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ ... tent=Brand

Also, the classic Kyo character skin is free until next Tuesday according to SNK.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ ... tent=Brand

Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1171 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Trying out Urien but I'm so horrible with him. I'll try finishing his challenges and "story" mode

It's a big update about 7gb. I still want a traditional arcade mode like everyone else. Come on capcom get your Ish together
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5315 posts
1063 upvotes
The Canada Cup 2016 tournament is here in Toronto. Not surprisingly, all Canadian players have been eliminated before the top 16.

The top 8 goes today at 8pm EST

(EDIT: It will probably start around 9:50 PM because of the Super Smash Wii U tournament stretching beyond its timeslot again/ poor organization)
The last match of Super Smash was ledge grabbing/ ledge guarding for 2 minutes...The Smash tournament is still only on losers' brackets semi-finals...

- Onuki single-handedly eliminated ALL members of the Evil Geniuses from the tournament (beat EG Justin Wong, EG PR Balrog, EG Rikki Ortiz, EG K-Brad )
- Daigo eliminated Infiltration in losers' side brackets before the top 8. Both got beaten by American players. Infiltration is not unbeatable anymore and has
since added a Rashid and Balrog to complement his Nash depending on matchups.
- Liquid KnuckleDu is impressing, using a low-tier character in Guile, and is one of the top 8 finalists by beating Daigo and K-Brad.

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel