• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 11:22 am
[OP]
Apr 30, 2014
137 posts
47 upvotes
Sudbury, ON

String trimmer/edger and blower combo kit

I'm looking to buy a string trimmer and a blower and came across two deals this weekend and wondering how should I proceed to decide on them. Yardworks 20V Grass Trimmer & Blower/Sweeper Combo Kit at CT for $98.99, no reviews in CT website. And second one at HD for $98 ONE+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion String Trimmer/Edger and Blower Combo Kit, good reviews, but online only. Both kit includes battery and charger. Any feedback from RFD users?

Link to the Ryobi One+ combo kit and Yardworks combo kit
7 replies
Aug 5, 2010
323 posts
96 upvotes
I've had the ryobi trimmer and blower for a number of years now - been great. Can do all the trimming at my place on one charge. Blower is very handy, and use it more and more. Look for a combo that has 2 batteries, and can always add on other tools (ie., i have the hedge trimmer which is great).
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1524 posts
178 upvotes
Alberta
I have the trimmer and it's never failed me yet. It's all plastic and kinda flimsy feeling, but it does the job.
Great price for the combo. Would jump on but not sure what to do with the extra trimmer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
My suggestion (I have these):

1) Trimmer: get the corded version, it is lighter and cheaper. Get the cheapest model, I got a Black & Decker one for <$100, works just fine. The shape of a trimmer is already not ergonomic, you are extending your arm out while holding a heavy object. So the lighter the better. Battery and gas ones are heavy.

2) Leaf blower: DON"T get this, get ones that does both BLOW and SUCK. You blow them in a pile, then turn it into a vacuum and it sucks it up, mulches it 70-80% reduction in volume, then unzip right into the little brown bags. DONE. No stooping up and down and dropping half of it back on the lawn when you drop it into the brown bags.

I have a huge yard and this saved me 60% of the time. I kid you not.

https://www.rona.ca/en/3-in-1-vacpacktm ... gLHIfD_BwE
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3214 posts
339 upvotes
I was looking into this version as it's on sale until this Sunday I believe:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... p.html#srp

Not sure how it compares to the Ryobi version. I have a corded trimmer and hate it having to constantly maneuver the cord wherever I go and having to wind it back up.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018
Feb 28, 2008
4 posts
They both look like great deals but I'm just a bit concerned with battery run times. Does anyone know if I can use a Dewalt 20v battery in the Yardworks trimmer / blower? Or are these batteries proprietary?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:06 pm
I was looking into this version as it's on sale until this Sunday I believe:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... p.html#srp

Not sure how it compares to the Ryobi version. I have a corded trimmer and hate it having to constantly maneuver the cord wherever I go and having to wind it back up.
Good price. But the leaf blower doesn't vacuum
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6921 posts
3925 upvotes
Edmonton
NellyNellyNelly wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:32 pm
They both look like great deals but I'm just a bit concerned with battery run times. Does anyone know if I can use a Dewalt 20v battery in the Yardworks trimmer / blower? Or are these batteries proprietary?
Dewalt batteries only work in Dewalt products, AFAIK. If you want to re-use your batteries, wait for the Dewalt combo to go on sale. Amazon has it regularly.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)