Parenting & Family

stroller recommendation(graco vs City mini)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 6:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
327 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton

stroller recommendation(graco vs City mini)

We have a baby on the way (mid Dec) and checked out several strollers and found two we liked.

1. City mini GT
Pros- super easy to handle,compact
Cons- expensive($500, no sales), need an adapter to install a car seat, small storage space

2. Graco Jogger with travel system
Pros- affordable($440 for both stroller and car seat)
Cons - front wheel tends to jam.. heavy and bulky(I am totally ok with it but wife is pretty small and may struggle),
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VSC ... _i=desktop

Or could somebody recommend any other strollers?

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Dec 31, 2007
69 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
We happen to have both. We bought the Graco first but soon realized a jogger would be a pain for most anything outside a trail/grass/gravel surface which would be most of the time. The Baby Jogger is great we just leave it in the trunk. Given its size I think storage and useability is good and its ability to accept other car seats via non-universal adaptor was a big selling point. Easy to replace parts like wheels make it a good option for resale if you wanted to go that route in the future. All attachments are add on features and it adds up. My 5ft wife can set it up and put it away fairly easily.

Bear in mind the Graco Jogger system is somewhat outdated and priced lower for what it offers. It's huge, the phone holder is unusable and the carseat is pretty basic in that the head and body support is completey flimsy. We had to purchase an additional insert to use for the first few months. Keep that in mind. Haven't had an issues with the randomly locking front wheel or tracking issues.

For both strollers, the carseat adaptor plus a second carseat base it came in around $1,000 after taxes as we happened to buy everything on sale. The Baby Jogger does come up for sale ($100 off) for certain colours keep an eye out.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
327 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
Bonka wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:17 pm
We happen to have both. We bought the Graco first but soon realized a jogger would be a pain for most anything outside a trail/grass/gravel surface which would be most of the time. The Baby Jogger is great we just leave it in the trunk. Given its size I think storage and useability is good and its ability to accept other car seats via non-universal adaptor was a big selling point. Easy to replace parts like wheels make it a good option for resale if you wanted to go that route in the future. All attachments are add on features and it adds up. My 5ft wife can set it up and put it away fairly easily.

Bear in mind the Graco Jogger system is somewhat outdated and priced lower for what it offers. It's huge, the phone holder is unusable and the carseat is pretty basic in that the head and body support is completey flimsy. We had to purchase an additional insert to use for the first few months. Keep that in mind. Haven't had an issues with the randomly locking front wheel or tracking issues.

For both strollers, the carseat adaptor plus a second carseat base it came in around $1,000 after taxes as we happened to buy everything on sale. The Baby Jogger does come up for sale ($100 off) for certain colours keep an eye out.
Yeah Baby jogger + infant seat will cost around $1000 after tax. I see reviews for baby jogger saying that the child can't sit upright and because of that food tray is pretty much useless. Is that something do you experience as well?
Jan 1, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
New Westminster, BC
I have the City Mini GT and am very happy with the purchase. We bought it online in the US for 300 CAD and paid 40 CAD duties when entering Canada. I love the hand brake, how easy it is to fold and the ease of use with the Britax adaptor.
Dec 31, 2007
69 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
hogujak wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 5:47 pm
Yeah Baby jogger + infant seat will cost around $1000 after tax. I see reviews for baby jogger saying that the child can't sit upright and because of that food tray is pretty much useless. Is that something do you experience as well?
I've read about that too. Post 2011 City Minis have velcro straps that lifts the seating position up a little more by strapping the back piece against the frame. Pre 2011 units had an insert you could buy to have the infant sit more upright. Ultimately I still wished it could sit upright a little more but we liked everything else about it so much we figured we would roll the dice on that.

I think the belly bar/food tray inclusion depends on the infant. Some like to sit and lay back, others like to lean forward. I would buy if your baby is going to be the latter and likes to look around. Our baby still uses the car seat so we don't know if we'll need it yet.
Aug 5, 2008
142 posts
87 upvotes
I love my City Mini GT, it is so easy and smooth to push and move around. My son is not really bothered about the seat not being fully upright but sometimes he does move forward to look.
May 21, 2012
106 posts
65 upvotes
Burlington
Bonka wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:17 pm
Please don't purchase additional inserts for use in car seats unless they are approved by the car seat manufacturer. If additional support is needed, rolled receiving blankets can be used as shown in the Graco manual.

Graco changed their car seats relatively recently (click connect vs classic connect) and also have a few different versions of their car seats with different features. The Snugride Click Connect 35 is a frequently recommended seat, but some of the other versions have fewer features (such as no recline adjustment on the base).

I don't know much about strollers, but you may want to look at the Graco modes stroller if you are looking for a travel system. The other option is to use one of the strollers that is a frame for a car seat until the child is old enough to use the stroller seat, and then choose a stroller without worrying about compatibility with the car seat.

(I am a CPST AKA car seat tech.)
Sep 2, 2009
124 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
I highly recommend seeing if any of the strollers you're interested in are available used. We bought the City Mini (model from a few years ago) for 130$ on Kijiji. We did need to get a car seat and corresponding adapters but we got a slightly better one and the total price came in way under the 500+tax new for the City Mini+car seat. We did initially buy a Graco with car seat - can't remember the model - but did bring it back because it was so heavy and not fun to fold...plus some other issues.

The City Mini does have less storage area (con) but the weight of it compared to others dozens and dozens we looked at just wasn't comparable (huge pro) - compact, easy to fold and put into the trunk (only uses half my trunk since I can put in it front to back instead of side to side).
Apr 12, 2009
318 posts
35 upvotes
I have a Graco with the 3 large wheels. Not sure what model it is but similiar to the one you post but gray instead of green. I also have the baby car seat that clicks in.

I bought two car bases for it.

I love the fact that's it's very easy to click the car seat part into it. With the cold weather being able to click it in and out is awesome when it's minus 25 outside.

Also great that you can just buy a cheap extra base for different cars and use the car seat in any car.

For the actual stroller, it is a bit big. Not sure how it compares to others but it takes up most of my car trunk and large part of my SUV trunk.

It is awesome to push and and would definitely get the same large 3 wheel version again if I had to buy another. Great in the snow, great for getting up and down sidewalks or going over large cracks. Some of my friends have one with smaller size wheels and seems like it's a lot harder to get around. I even took this thing in a 4 wheeler trail with no problems. It is also very light and easy to maneuver. Never had the front wheel issue.

The cellphone holder is a bit of a gimmick and most likely won't fit your phone properly but I kept my phone in the storage section at the bottom or in my pocket. Realistically probably not the safest thing to be looking at your phone while pushing a baby stroller.

Overall has great handling and storage and I would buy again.

Now that my kid is bigger (1 years old) most of the time I just use a 30$ umbrella stroller to push him around on shorter walks and to have it always available in the car. Not as nice but weights nothing and takes up no space.