• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 6:56 am
Tags:
None
Apr 8, 2017
11 posts
7 upvotes

Structural Beam Seperated

Went to look at an open house this weekend and noticed there are 2 sets of structural beams for the house. One of the beams runs across the entire house and the other structural beam is separated. There's also another post in the corner of the house made up of 3 pieces of 2x4 wood.

We are considering putting an offer for this house however we are concerned why one of the beams is separated. Is this an issue we should be concern with? Why would it be separated?
The house is in the City of Vaughan and it's approximately 30 years old and almost 3000sq ft. There is 2 sets of stairs to the basement and my best guess is that one of the beams would provent the stairs of being built as it gets in the way so they moved part of the beam a foot or so over.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Ps. I did have an account on RFD that dated back when they first started but for some reason it won't let me login anymore or even recognize my email so I had to create a new account :(
Images
  • IMG_20170409_171414.jpg
  • IMG_20170409_171436.jpg
  • IMG_20170409_171358.jpg
  • IMG_20170409_171425.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Yes, it has a big chance of being an issue. Needs an engineer to look at structural integrity or a really good contractor to provide their opinion.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Doesn't look like a problem to me. (I'm not a structural engineer)
The beams look well supported by the supports.
I've seen a lot of weird things in homes, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Why is the beam not one contiguous piece? Without seeing the rest of the blueprints and structure I wouldn't know.

No idea what the last picture is trying to depict.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
Interesting situation. I really have no idea why it was done that way but you could be on to something with the staircase theory. Good thing the basement wasn't finished.

tebore, I think he's trying to show the triple 2x4 post in the far corner. You can see it a bit better if you zoom in on the 2nd picture. I would think there's a reason for that too. It's hard to believe anyone throws up a post like that without a reason. Might be best to ask the homeowners these questions.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Structural Engineer here... Without much detail and an inspection of the house, I can't say for sure it is or it isn't a problem, since those beams may or may not need to be continue.

However, the rest of the temp / DIY supports (ie. Around that chair and near the steel beams) looks odd too, unless they can show that they are doing everything under the direction of an engineer, which I kinda doubt it. Personally, just too many unknowns and the next buyer would likely have the same concern or questions so more reason to walk away.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
That corner with the wood post doesn't look right. I'd be more concerned about that. Looks like the joists are cut on a 45 angle and are not supported properly at the one end with the post
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
The split beam is fine and actually quite common. The makeshift post looks kind of dodgy but is probably also fairly easy to remedy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)