Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Stucco Ceiling Repair

We had to cut out a piece of stucco in our ceiling due to a water leak from a shower stall above. Can anyone recommend a good contractor for this repair?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
Shaf wrote:
Oct 12th, 2007 12:40 pm
We had to cut out a piece of stucco in our ceiling due to a water leak from a shower stall above. Can anyone recommend a good contractor for this repair?

Thanks!
How big of an area are we talking about. If its small enough you can easily do it yourself by replacing the drywall and I beleive you can buy the stucco in aerosol cans for patchwork. I would just make sure that you tape around the area and use a plastic sheet on the ceiling with one side open to capture the overspray.

sk
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3005 posts
94 upvotes
Shaf wrote:
Oct 12th, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks!
I did this repair myself last year and I am no handy man. I took a picture of the hole in our ceiling (it was aprox 2ft x 2ft) and took this with me to home depot and they helped me out.

The hardest part was securing the new dry wall to the studs. In my case I had to attach a wood strip to the existing studs then secure the new piece of dry wall to the wood strip. As an alternantive you can cut back the bad drywall until you see the cieling studs. Everything after that is easy. The stucco can be applied with a special sponge.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
I do a lot of these repairs. You will not be able to match it properly unless you use the proper equipment to spray the stucco on the ceiling.

The stucco can be matched usually, but depending on the age of the ceiling, the existing stucco is usually discoloured and the new stucco bright white in the area of the patch. You may need to paint the entire ceiling afterwards for the colour to be uniform.

If the ceiling is relatively small and has never been painted, the stucco on the entire ceiling could be removed, the damage repaired, the entire ceiling painted and then re-stuccoed. This route guarantees a perfect finish but obviously requires more work.

The biggest mistake people make, aside from putting too much product on using a sponge, is not doing the patch properly. You must remove about 10 inches of stucco around the patch and do the taping properly so the area is smooth and level.

A lot of people do a poor job of the repair and it creates problems when people try to sell their home.

You can check out my website at www.randydrywall.com
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1283 posts
60 upvotes
Drthorne wrote:
Oct 12th, 2007 12:51 pm
if you need a good quality repair, try http://www.mrstucco.ca/
+1, these guys do an excellent job. To fix it properly you need to respray the stucco, a messy business.
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
venice_it wrote:
Oct 12th, 2007 1:41 pm
I do a lot of these repairs. You will not be able to match it properly unless you use the proper equipment to spray the stucco on the ceiling.

The stucco can be matched usually, but depending on the age of the ceiling, the existing stucco is usually discoloured and the new stucco bright white in the area of the patch. You may need to paint the entire ceiling afterwards for the colour to be uniform.

If the ceiling is relatively small and has never been painted, the stucco on the entire ceiling could be removed, the damage repaired, the entire ceiling painted and then re-stuccoed. This route guarantees a perfect finish but obviously requires more work.

The biggest mistake people make, aside from putting too much product on using a sponge, is not doing the patch properly. You must remove about 10 inches of stucco around the patch and do the taping properly so the area is smooth and level.

A lot of people do a poor job of the repair and it creates problems when people try to sell their home.

You can check out my website at www.randydrywall.com
Thanks!! I just called you a few minutes ago... will let you know as soon as the shower repair is done so that you can fix my ceiling..
Jul 7, 2005
370 posts
15 upvotes
i just moved into a condo, and the previous owners hung weird ornaments into the stucco ceiling. upon taking them down, it left a couple of holes, and the stucco around the holes had been sanded down.

i tried to sand, and re-stucco the ceiling using the aerosol spray formula and it went horribly wrong. the can was only able to spray a couple of square feet before dying on me, and it now looks worse than when I started! the sprayed areas are differently coloured (meaning i have to repaint), and the texture does not match the rest of my ceilings. it may be my application technique, but i've studied the can, and the info on their website on application. i'm very frustrated as I tried using ceiling repair paste prior to the aerosol method, and i'm still stuck (pardon the pun) on the stucco.

the area is no larger than 6x2 feet, and underneath the ceiling is concrete. anyone have any other suggestions? i'm so frustrated, i'm starting to look for quotes from professionals
Feb 27, 2008
2 posts
Toronto
Our heart goes out to your brave efforts, the old saying "if it's hard you are doing it wrong". I'm sure the people that sell these products imagine that there is some use for them under the right circumstances. I visited a disgruntled lady a little while back who used 7 cans of spray stucco with an astonishing result ( not good )
each can cost around $20.00, I don't need to say more. The sponge method to repair sprayed popcorn is
futile, unless its in a dark corner in a closet. As for rolling it on it is really hard to get a uniform finish, it will not match a sprayed finish any day of the week.
If you speak to most general contractors they will tell you that this is specialized work that requires
specialized equipment & that even they are reluctant to touch this kind of a job. There is no one set way to
match a texture as there are many different materials,techniques as well as the personal touch of the applicator.
It might be best to get a professional opinion before starting a repair to a stucco ceiling, most good contractors will come out to look at no charge.
× < >