Tags:
[OP]
May 11, 2015
160 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Stuck Lens Filter

Hello guys,

I purchased a used Canon 24-105mm L series lens and it looks pristine in the front glass, so I never bothered trying to remove the lens filter during the pre-purchase inspection. However, upon trying to remove it, it seems to be stuck. I did try using a rubber band and am hesitant on trying to use the blow dryer on the lens and lens filter to try removing it. Do you guys have any other suggestions as to how I could try to remove it? When using the rubber band to try to remove it with the added traction, I fear breaking the lens if I apply too much force.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2284 posts
880 upvotes
GTA
There are lens filter "wrenches" available on eBay. I've used them in the past with great success. You use two - one goes on the filter the other on the lens and you can just twist off the filter. I'm not sure if any local camera stores carry them. They may also be available on Amazon
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 1, 2010
838 posts
417 upvotes
Montreal
The extreme thing to do is to bring it a local store and ask them to saw it off. Most have done it before already and won't damage your lens.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2611 posts
460 upvotes
Blow dryer first, safer than a heat gun.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1739 posts
441 upvotes
North York
Bought a rubber jar opener at a dollarama before and it worked on a filter that was stuck.
[OP]
May 11, 2015
160 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aerok wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 10:37 am
The extreme thing to do is to bring it a local store and ask them to saw it off. Most have done it before already and won't damage your lens.
I am very interested in watching this happen, but not on my lens. Haha.
thericyip wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:25 pm
Bought a rubber jar opener at a dollarama before and it worked on a filter that was stuck.
I was just about to click on the ship to this address button on Amazon when I saw an email notification about your post. Might try this and see if it will save me a few dollars. Could you advise if it looks something like this? https://www.magnifyingaids.com/store/im ... er_LRG.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2284 posts
880 upvotes
GTA
Whatever you decide to use, you should try to use two of them - one on the filter and one on the lens. If you only use one all the twisting force you are using is transferred to the lens and may damage it. That is why the dedicated lens filter wrenches are sold in pairs.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3422 posts
444 upvotes
Markham
Elastic bands. I actually got tired of stuck filters so I only buy brass filters now. I haven't had one stick.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Use an inverted compressed air can and cool down the lens filter. Then take a non-slip cloth and try to twist it off.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1739 posts
441 upvotes
North York
FoodieEd wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:33 pm
I am very interested in watching this happen, but not on my lens. Haha.

I was just about to click on the ship to this address button on Amazon when I saw an email notification about your post. Might try this and see if it will save me a few dollars. Could you advise if it looks something like this? https://www.magnifyingaids.com/store/im ... er_LRG.jpg
https://www.magnifyingaids.com/store/im ... er_LRG.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4420 posts
938 upvotes
Alberta
Channellock pliers worked for me. Just make sure you don’t squeeze it too hard.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9671 posts
4057 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Try a mouse pad. The problem with grabbing the ring to twist off is that it's soft and deforms easy and that's what makes getting it off hard. The trick is not to apply side pressue.
[OP]
May 11, 2015
160 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:17 am
Channellock pliers worked for me. Just make sure you don’t squeeze it too hard.
Could you please advise what you did with the Channellock pliers? Did you break the filter glass and spin the filter ring?