Home & Garden

Which stud finder to use for installing grab bars in shower?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2018 10:04 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10971 posts
830 upvotes
Brampton

Which stud finder to use for installing grab bars in shower?

I need to install grab bars on the tiled shower wall. Which stud finder will locate studs behind bathroom tile? Will the $20 stud finders work? Do I need to spend more?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2116 posts
776 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Probably won't work. A few ways to do it (I had to do this recently, and the studs in the wall weren't evenly spaced).

1. Look for studs above the tile line assuming it isn't tiled to ceiling

2. Look for studs on the otherside of the wall if possible and measure

3. Confirm stud spacing for shower and other side.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Sep 21, 2004
92 posts
40 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
cheapmeister wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 6:38 pm
I need to install grab bars on the tiled shower wall. Which stud finder will locate studs behind bathroom tile? Will the $20 stud finders work? Do I need to spend more?
Don't bother with the expensive ones. I just recently put in a grab bar in my fathers place. I decided to stop by Home Depot and pick up the $80 stud finder thinking it would help (lots of bells and whistles). I had my $20 stud finder (with deep scan) in my bag. Both produced similar results - I ended up returning the expensive one. A bit of trial and error, but knowing that most studs are 16" on center, you can take a few tries here and there and eventually find a few studs (It will beep here and there - but take some averages). Take a level to mark a line straight up and down and then measure off 16 inchs in either direction. Confirm with your stud finder 16" either side of the line that should show some results.
Once found and I thought I had it, I drilled a tiny hole into the grout line to confirm I would hit a stud where the mark was (under the plate that I was putting in). Then just rammed some silicon in the tiny hole and drilled into the tile with a diamond bit I picked up (to drill in the ceramic) (didn't want to test drilling into the tile because if I was wrong I can easily add a tiny bit of grout for whatever it was worth - rather than having a hole in the tile!

Grab bar is on now and I tested by hanging off the thing and pulling! Wouldn't budge.