• Oct 31st, 2012 10:19 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2009
478 posts
4 upvotes

Student Credit Cards

Hello,

I was thinking of applying for a credit card (I only have debit atm) and figured the best time would be to do so before school started. What visa/master card are you guys using right now. I'm only going to be applying for one as I have no need for more than one. I was thinking of getting one that had some extra incentives such as the Scotiabank one with scene points and etc. Are there any other ones that are good and have something included with it (saving points, etc.) I don't have an account with Scotiabank as I cancelled it a while back, but that won't be a problem (I hope).

Thanks!

Duff
Ryerson Urban and Regional Planning Graduate/Working Professional 2014 - PM me if you have questions about the program/career and I'll try my best to help you out :)
35 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12574 posts
903 upvotes
Toronto
Most people here have the MBNA Smartcash Mastercard, but you probably won't qualify as a student. I'd say just go into your bank of choice and ask for a Visa or MC with a $500 limit or so, then once you have the card you can think of moving to a rewards card a bit later on.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 11:12 am
Most people here have the MBNA Smartcash Mastercard, but you probably won't qualify as a student. I'd say just go into your bank of choice and ask for a Visa or MC with a $500 limit or so, then once you have the card you can think of moving to a rewards card a bit later on.
I qualified for it as a student, keep in mind that I work part-time and already had two credit cards then...one from my bank (BMO) and the other from RBC.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2009
478 posts
4 upvotes
My home bank is with TD, but I figured if the Scotiabank creditcard comes with scene points.. why not get that one when it comes with something in addition to its primary use as a cc.
Ryerson Urban and Regional Planning Graduate/Working Professional 2014 - PM me if you have questions about the program/career and I'll try my best to help you out :)
Aug 30, 2010
973 posts
81 upvotes
BMO SPC card best for student. They easily accept your application and give you a $3000 limit + Cash back Reward program.
The credit card itself is just like the SPC card and can give you amazing deals and savings at participating stores (Over 100 stores)
Aug 30, 2010
973 posts
81 upvotes
duffman2003 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 11:20 am
My home bank is with TD, but I figured if the Scotiabank creditcard comes with scene points.. why not get that one when it comes with something in addition to its primary use as a cc.
There are a whole bunch of incentives. Depends on what you do the most. For people that drive a lot like me, the Petropoints mastercard would be a good choice as you save more on gas prices. If you watch movies a lot then scenepoints is a good choice.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
-Skyline- wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 12:07 pm
BMO SPC card best for student. They easily accept your application and give you a $3000 limit + Cash back Reward program.
The credit card itself is just like the SPC card and can give you amazing deals and savings at participating stores (Over 100 stores)
I have BMO SPC but they don't just hand out $3000 limits. I had $600 at first, then $1000 and now I'm at $2000.

RBC Visa Gold on the other hand, throws money at you like it's going out of style. I barely, if ever, use the card and I have a $7000 limit.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8219 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
Most students don't qualify for Smartcash but you can definitely get the MBNA Rewards Studentawards which gives you 1% cashback. Sign up at 'GCRebates.ca' and you also get a nice $60 cashback when you get approved.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Nov 11, 2009
478 posts
4 upvotes
-Skyline- wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 12:09 pm
There are a whole bunch of incentives. Depends on what you do the most. For people that drive a lot like me, the Petropoints mastercard would be a good choice as you save more on gas prices. If you watch movies a lot then scenepoints is a good choice.
I'm still a student so not much. I just booked an appointment with the officer at Scotiabank. They have this thing where if you register now you get 4000 points which is equivalent to 4 movie tickets or something. I don't watch a lot of movies, so not sure if this is the best cc for me. I also don't use the cc a lot unless I have to. I usually just use debit if anything. Do I only get points when I buy movie tickets or do I also get points from other non-movie related purchases.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3798 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
What if you're only 17 when you start school? What to do in that case?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 16, 2007
373 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 2:54 pm
What if you're only 17 when you start school? What to do in that case?
I had a credit card when I was 17. My dad helped me get it. It wasn't a supplementary card, it was under my name.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
I use a TD Rebate Rewards. I get a 2% rebate on everything if I'm not mistaken.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3798 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
aTriangle wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 2:58 pm
I had a credit card when I was 17. My dad helped me get it. It wasn't a supplementary card, it was under my name.
perhaps he misquoted your age? I have a World Aspire Capital One card and they said there's a age restriction in Ontario.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 16, 2012
237 posts
17 upvotes
MARKHAM
Don't you have to be 18 to be the primary holder?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10209 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dunno if it's applicable to students, but you can try to get a rewards credit card when it pops up on RFD. Sometimes they offer you enough points to pay for half of a plane ticket!
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 11:12 am
What's so good about MBNA?
forthewinwin wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 5:15 pm
I use a TD Rebate Rewards. I get a 2% rebate on everything if I'm not mistaken.
Actually it's 0.5% for the first $3000, then afterwards it's 1% from $3000 to $25 000. Sucks. People are saying that it's the worst cashback credit card out there. But they instantly block your credit card if there's suspected fraud, or if you travel too far without notifying them.
duffman2003 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 2:02 pm
I'm still a student so not much. I just booked an appointment with the officer at Scotiabank. They have this thing where if you register now you get 4000 points which is equivalent to 4 movie tickets or something. I don't watch a lot of movies, so not sure if this is the best cc for me. I also don't use the cc a lot unless I have to. I usually just use debit if anything. Do I only get points when I buy movie tickets or do I also get points from other non-movie related purchases.
If you don't watch movies much, then I wouldn't get the Scotia Bank SCENE credit card. A movie ticket is equivalent to around $12. Meaning you're getting $48 from Scotia Bank.
× < >