Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Student starting out with American Express

I'm in university right now, and thought it's to my benefit if I start to build some credit with American Express. I know they don't offer student cards, so what's the best card you guys think I can be approved for as a student with some income from coop and money saved up? I've had my first CC when I was 18 and applied for about 7 CC's (4 active, but I really only use my SC) successfully since then.

Thanks.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
23 replies
Oct 6, 2010
131 posts
22 upvotes
You can't start building credit with American Express, credit is universal not company specific. You could start building a relationship with them, but not sure what your goal is, perhaps
you can clarify? And maybe some more details such as credit score, approx income etc. If not just go with one of their blue cards and see from there?
Oct 29, 2009
263 posts
6 upvotes
It sounds like you simply want an AMEX. That is completely understandable. I got my first AMEX while at university as well.

I believe the easiest AMEX credit card to get is the Costco AMEX. Just walk into a Costco to apply but you'll need a Costco membership. You can also go the charge card route.

To be approved for AMEX, make sure your Transunion credit report is in great shape and ensure you are not currently overly leverged.
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
The very minimum for an AMEX these days is an annual income of $15,000. Make sure you can provide proof of that, and that you can show that the income will continue even if you're not on a co-op work term.

(In other words, I don't think your eligible. AMEX is for those working, not those in school in Canada.)
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
I'm a cardholder and had contacted AMEX for someone who is 20, is a student and has no credit history. Customer service basically told me that's it's impossible unless i want to add her as a supplementary card holder.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
CRAZYBUBBA wrote: I'm a cardholder and had contacted AMEX for someone who is 20, is a student and has no credit history. Customer service basically told me that's it's impossible unless i want to add her as a supplementary card holder.

That's different from JonLai. He has extensive credit history, limited income and wants an Amex I am guessing to show to his friends...

Any of their blue cards will do, I don't see any other benefit of having one.
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
Credit history is meaningless if you don't have a minimum annual income of $15,000. They won't approve you otherwise. I called and asked a few months ago.

The only way to get an AMEX if you don't meet that requirement is to lie on your application, which is illegal and essentially cannot be discussed here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
virgilaug wrote: What's so great about an AMEX?

Exactly! I have one (and visa and MC). Amex must be the least accepted and least used, but any gas station or restaurant I find that takes it it I use it because the rewards are a little higher.

MC seems to be the most accepted, namely because it's the only card no frills take. I can't name any places that only take visa or that only take Amex, but there has to be some.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: Exactly! I have one (and visa and MC). Amex must be the least accepted and least used, but any gas station or restaurant I find that takes it it I use it because the rewards are a little higher.

MC seems to be the most accepted, namely because it's the only card no frills take. I can't name any places that only take visa or that only take Amex, but there has to be some.

Costco only takes Amex.

Lots of places only take visa. I can't think of any at the moment though :D
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
jason9945 wrote: Costco only takes Amex.

Lots of places only take visa. I can't think of any at the moment though :D

Oops! I meant to saw that. Lol. Costco is the only real reason I got it. And I use it there a tonne.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1382 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a full time university student with a BlueSky with a $7300 limit.
May 22, 2010
11 posts
2 upvotes
London
I am a student with no income at all, but I applied for an AMEX AirMiles after having about 2.5 years of credit history. At that time my highest limit card is $5,500 and AMEX gave me $12,000 straight out.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Deal Grabber wrote: That's different from JonLai. He has extensive credit history, limited income and wants an Amex I am guessing to show to his friends...

Any of their blue cards will do, I don't see any other benefit of having one.

I couldn't care less about "showing off" an AMEX if half the stores don't take it. That'd be more like getting pwned in front of my friends. I want one more so because I want to start building a relationship with them, and also because I recently realized that any Canadian AMEX holder 12 months or longer get automatically qualify for an American AMEX with no credit history. Depending on where life takes me, that could potentially be useful. If and when I get a Canadian one, it'd just be sitting at home anyways, with maybe $5-10 charged on it a month just to keep it running. I don't intend on using anything other than my Smart Cash at the moment unless my spending habit changes greatly.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
You won't get an AMEX without a certain income. Furthermore, I was told once that their international transfer program only applies to charge cards (not sure if that has changed since).
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
If one moves to US for work and is issued a SSN getting a credit card is no big deal. Most banks will give you one just because of your income (I imagine it has to be really good for one to move). A few members of family have moved and had a credit card soon as they got a SSN.

Secondly, what tng11 said is correct, Amex transfers charge cards and not credit cards.
Sep 19, 2011
57 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
no i applied jetblue American Express because the income was only $15000 requirement. WAS very simple.At that time i was only a high school student. The reason why i picked AMEX was the easiest to get a credit card being approved

in column the OTHER INCOME where the form indicate. i put $1200.00 a month or maybe $1500.00 . The Amex guy c/s called in and asked about the SOURCE from where the "other income" from i told c/s was from my parents as "pocket money" they said was good to know. i got approval.

my guess for my easy approval was that i think i paid FIDO bill on time since i was in a 3 year contract was put in my own name at age of 16.

can anyone tell me why ppl like AMEX. seem like not much of a discount on AMEX card.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Got approved for an AMEX Blue Sky with a $10,000 Credit Limit as a Full-Time Student with $12,000 annual income and 3 other credit cards. And yes, I applied for it originally to use at Costco, but now use it as my everyday card.

You should have no problem applying for one of the basic ones (Costco, Blue Sky, Air Miles).
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
You guys don't read. Amex has changed. Now, to get approved honestly, you need to have a minimum income of $15,000. Otherwise, don't bother.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
ryguy2008 wrote: You guys don't read. Amex has changed. Now, to get approved honestly, you need to have a minimum income of $15,000. Otherwise, don't bother.

I got my card two months ago. They honestly are not as tough with credit as people make them out to be.