Students

Students Dropping from Engineering.

Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3411 posts
72 upvotes

Students Dropping from Engineering.

Tried searching.. But does anyone have the #s for the number of students in UofT engineering through all 4 years? Just wanted to see how many people get weeded out.
65 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
2211 posts
5 upvotes
1st to 2nd year eng sci

180ish -> 100ish
Aug 13, 2005
164 posts
not really sure but my friend at UT electical engineering told me how people aim to just pass. and its almost impossible to get a high mark. he told me when one of his friends ask about a cheat sheet on a test the prof was like "U want a cheat sheet??? Goto Ryerson!!!" :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
keunganator wrote:not really sure but my friend at UT electical engineering told me how people aim to just pass. and its almost impossible to get a high mark. he told me when one of his friends ask about a cheat sheet on a test the prof was like "U want a cheat sheet??? Goto Ryerson!!!" :lol:
i wouldn't dare to want a cheat sheet

it' a common knowledge that cheat sheet = harder exam

and AFAIK most programs have a 50% failure rate each year
Jun 14, 2003
394 posts
7 upvotes
TenzoR wrote:i wouldn't dare to want a cheat sheet

it' a common knowledge that cheat sheet = harder exam

and AFAIK most programs have a 50% failure rate each year
no no no, OPEN BOOK exams are the real killers

The more they give, they more the expect :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
kawai wrote:no no no, OPEN BOOK exams are the real killers

The more they give, they more the expect :twisted:
i dun think i had an open book ..i've always voted no for any cheats/open book
Jun 14, 2003
394 posts
7 upvotes
TenzoR wrote:i dun think i had an open book ..i've always voted no for any cheats/open book
ECE106 (C++) during S term was open book, let's put it this way, RAPED

I hate programming :|
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
TenzoR wrote:i dun think i had an open book ..i've always voted no for any cheats/open book
Networking for Liscano was open book
Lethbridge Midterm was open book
Stats was open book

lol.. sorry.. had to prove him wrong =)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Eyies wrote:Tried searching.. But does anyone have the #s for the number of students in UofT engineering through all 4 years? Just wanted to see how many people get weeded out.
Don't bother playing the stats or let them affect you.
Nov 20, 2002
481 posts
43 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'm in ECE too and they will weed out a lot. I guess as much as 25% but hard to tell because many eng sci dropouts come into ECE so the numbers don't drop by much in ECE. The thing is you need to be intelligent to get good marks in engineering, not just work hard. Good luck.

I'm just basing this on numbers in this year's engineering calendar.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
either they drop out or they change faculty.. its pretty common. but does it really matter? as long as you are not in the bottom half of the gullotine, its all good.
Jun 21, 2002
144 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
a statistic similar to this is available on the Engineering Handbook, the blue/white book with course descriptions and such

reason i say similar is because it states current enrollment, meaning, current 1st yrs, current 2nd yrs, current 3rd yrs, current 4th yrs. It does not take into account that class of 0T9 may originally be larger than class of 0T8 in the first place. but its a pretty close estimate, i think. Engineering enrollment doesnt differ too much year to year.

the general trend u will see in EE and CE is upwards trend, b/c alot of EngScis get absorbed into ECE

other departments tend to experience a very small decrease, which reflects failed students, or switch to diff dept.

EngSci reflects the biggest drop, i think, but mostly from 1 to 2. not so much after 2.
~Eternal~
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I was EE U of T class of 2001. My impression was that it was pretty hard to drop out, I mean if you put in a decent effort you would pass. It was hard getting high marks but it was also easy just to shoot for a 65% passing mark.

I would definitely not consider that EE does alot of weeding out, Everyone I started with ended up graduating. It might be different now, but back then everyone came into the program with >90% OAC so most were already hardworking and fairly intellegent to begin with.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Feb 14, 2005
843 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
NSCI 0T7

1F: 282
1W: 256
2F: 194
2W: 192

Good luck :)

Forgot to say: Almost all of the people who transferred out after first year didn't transfer out because they got really low marks and were forced to switch. They transferred because they finally found out what they wanted to do or couldn't deal with the stress.
Apr 8, 2004
478 posts
5 upvotes
This thread brings back old memories.

I am a CE dropout and there are a few reasons why I did really bad.

1. Commuting 3 hours totally killed me off
2. having 30 hour per week classes killed me off
3. most of the profs were horrible, they were cocky and sometimes made you feel stupid.
4. very competitive, students hardly helped other students. My own lab partner didn't let me copy the data on our lab project. I consider myself a pretty nice guy in school.
5. Absolutely no social life.

Some of these may be excuses but in the end, Engineering was just not 'me'.

I think it was one of those turning points in my life. In high school i was an 80s - 90s student but in Engineering, I failed everything.

In computer engineering, there were around 85 ppl who dropped out during that year. (I got a peak at the list). hahaa
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3411 posts
72 upvotes
Oii. I'm living on campus first year, but probably afterwards I'll probably have to commute to UT from Markham everyday (mostly due to finance issues). Hope I can still keep things up.
Jun 10, 2005
63 posts
Eyies wrote:Oii. I'm living on campus first year, but probably afterwards I'll probably have to commute to UT from Markham everyday (mostly due to finance issues). Hope I can still keep things up.
I'm gonna be commuting from *almost* markham, so I'll tell you how it goes :P
Aug 11, 2005
116 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
As long as there is a fairly direct route by bus from you to the subway station you should be fine. I've commuted from just south of Bayview & 7 to St. George for 2 years. It's an inconvenience at times, but just view public transit as free time to read the newspaper and/or sleep. Thanks to the subway I can give up an extra 90 minutes of sleep a night while still being sane. :cheesygri
Dec 28, 2003
159 posts
laser7500 wrote:I'm gonna be commuting from *almost* markham, so I'll tell you how it goes :P
I commute from thornhill
takes me about 3 hours give or take every day
I don't like it, but this is a no choice territory (unless I want a student loan, this has not become necessery yet)

do NOT just sit on the subway. Read. Read the news paper, read the course material, read abook, but do something. If you just sit on the subway you will be tired when you get off, this is the best advice I could ever give anyone about commuting to school.

If you are tired when you get off the subway for home, you'll quickly find yourself not doing any work and just sleeping or complaining about how tired you are :D

This was probably the most significant impact on my marks, I did very little work. That being said, as an engsci 0t8, my average was still around low 70% simply by doing a few questions before exams and reading over the material very very thoroughly. Last year was pretty bad for me in terms of motivation, if you can keep motivated you will do fine :)

(I have created a reading list for my self this year consisting of roughly 25 books that I hope to read on the subway :D , mostly leisure books, nothing to do with engineering)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Eng is not bad once you get used to it. 96% of students passed ECE100 in UW. Hopefully they are done weeding by the end of first year.