Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Amazon Canada] Students: Free Amazon Prime for 6 months

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2018 12:20 am
Jun 14, 2011
537 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
Do you keep the 50 % off Prime forever after?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19006 posts
4113 upvotes
Thornhill
I've been a student prime member at 39$ for years, you get all the benefits for a regular Prime membership (20% video game preorders, 20% off Amazon basics items, Canadian prime video,twitch prime membership).

The only thing you don't get with student membership of prime is the Amazon Family perks, which is 20% off diapers and other family perks (I don't know what this means).

Edit: I was not a student when I signed up for student, I just needed access to my school email.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1069 posts
222 upvotes
Derick wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:45 am
The page says amazon video is not available to trial period customers. Is there an option to just pay for 18 months if not in quebec.
When I look at regular prime it advertises amazon video as a perk, the student version does not.

First I need to see if I can download the app to my PS4 or it is moot anyways :P
Dec 4, 2008
959 posts
481 upvotes
I'm confused, this deal has always been around. Prime student has always been 6 months free with $39 renewal afterwards.
Jun 9, 2015
11 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
I think if you're on the student 6 months trial you don't have Amazon video but if you're paying the $39 subscription then you do have access to video
Jan 27, 2007
710 posts
165 upvotes
Calgary
sports1 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:52 am
I'm confused, this deal has always been around. Prime student has always been 6 months free with $39 renewal afterwards.
Agreed, I have this for about 2 yrs now..not sure what's all this about now
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10469 posts
5407 upvotes
Oil Country
Yup... this deal has been around ever since Amazon started offering Student Prime. I've had Student Prime for about three years now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8243 posts
3972 upvotes
JrGongMarley wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:44 am
does the email have to be a student email or could i use a work email
Has to be a student email. Although, I have used my Western Alumni email without issues.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6025 upvotes
Oakville
Yup, nothing new to see here.

For those who were previously unaware of it - you don't need to have your primary email address as a school email address. You just have to have access to a school email address that they recognize as being a student email address, and you're good to go. My University of Waterloo alumni email address worked just fine. And I can confirm that at least on the paid account, you definitely have access to prime video.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2016
1089 posts
1514 upvotes
dunlop wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:34 am
Does the student deal give amazon video?
Derick wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:45 am
The page says amazon video is not available to trial period customers. Is there an option to just pay for 18 months if not in quebec.
AnitaC88 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 10:15 am
I think if you're on the student 6 months trial you don't have Amazon video but if you're paying the $39 subscription then you do have access to video
Can confirm. Just upgraded from student trial to paid membership. Could not access Amazon Video, but now I can.

However, I don't know why this is being posted, student prime has been around for a long time, including the 6 months trial.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4538 posts
948 upvotes
Vancouver
do they actually check your credentials or active school email is good enough?

"To sign up for and use Amazon Student, you must (1) have an Amazon.ca account, (2) be a college, university or CEGEP student actively enrolled in at least one course at a college, university or CEGEP geographically located in Canada, (3) be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request and (4) have a valid college, university or CEGEP e-mail address. We may accept or refuse membership in our sole discretion. We may ask you to furnish documentation supporting your eligibility. If you do not provide documentation indicating that you meet the eligibility requirements above, you may be required to reimburse us for benefits you received as a result of your Amazon Student membership. "
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6025 upvotes
Oakville
hesp wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 12:09 pm
do they actually check your credentials or active school email is good enough?

"To sign up for and use Amazon Student, you must (1) have an Amazon.ca account, (2) be a college, university or CEGEP student actively enrolled in at least one course at a college, university or CEGEP geographically located in Canada, (3) be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request and (4) have a valid college, university or CEGEP e-mail address. We may accept or refuse membership in our sole discretion. We may ask you to furnish documentation supporting your eligibility. If you do not provide documentation indicating that you meet the eligibility requirements above, you may be required to reimburse us for benefits you received as a result of your Amazon Student membership. "
I think they only ask for proof of enrolment if you can't provide a valid email address. I've never been asked for it, at any rate.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20973 posts
10355 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
this deal single handedly made my mba program worth it (used my school email to sign up). Grabbed a student sub last year and have it for the next 3 years.

One day shipping is awesome now that it's quite a bit more reliable than it was in the past
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1699 posts
398 upvotes
TORONTO
Better yet, you can split with your close friend/s to make it cheaper. Me and my buddy split it, $20/year and no issues.