Students

Students who miss out on Ontario’s free tuition ‘left to fend for ourselves’ - Tough Luck!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2016 11:28 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
969 upvotes
Moon
I got nothing and now my taxes are used to support the schooling of entitled little *****... :(
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
OldMarriedGuy wrote: I couldn't care less who gets what now. If someone is coming from a family who combined makes less than 50k...then yeah I would agree they should have some kind of help. Although I believe that everyone should have access to funding because a family making a combined 60 or 70k isn't that much better off than a family making less than 50.
hugh_da_man wrote: So you essentially get nothing if your family makes over $50k?
Under the new OSG:
- Students from families with incomes under $50,000 will have no provincial student debt.
- More than 50 per cent of students from families with incomes of $83,000 or less will receive non-repayable grants that will exceed average college or university tuition.
- All students will be the same or better off as under the Ontario Tuition Grant.

Ninety per cent of dependent college students and 70 per cent of dependent university students from families with incomes under $50,000 will receive grants greater than their average cost of tuition.

Read http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/onta ... 6/bk1.html
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
This is no different than OSAP grants back in the day... If your fam qualified you basically got the same deal. Grants covered the cost of tuition every year = free degree.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
Seems like bad policy. I think the Liberals are piling up too many poor policy decisions.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
bobbings wrote:
BeapChastard wrote: yup... When I graduated I had almost 30k in osap debt. Minimum repayment was only like $150 a month or something but I upped it to $1500/month until it was paid off. Lived with roommates like a poor student, no vacations, no expensive purchases, nothing.

Now all these students today get it free and can take yearly vacations to europe right after graduating. It's bs :(

Tuition should NOT be free, osap was working very well.
Except maybe it's harder for new grads to find jobs today as well as it's probably hard to find decent paying jobs given the crazy competition out there.

I can't say I agree nor do I disagree with this move. I just remember when I had a student loan, the government was all over my behind for repayment once I graduated...
Harder compared to 1990, yes.

But I don't think people graduating today have it any worse than graduates in the past 15 years.

I bet most of the people getting free tuition won't be going into fields like engineering or medicine anyways, they'll probably study womens studies or poetry or something like that.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
969 upvotes
Moon
aznnorth wrote: This is no different than OSAP grants back in the day... If your fam qualified you basically got the same deal. Grants covered the cost of tuition every year = free degree.
Generally grants and scholarships are given due to academic performance. You EARN them.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
OldMarriedGuy wrote: I got zero handouts but was lucky to have some help from my parents.

I had to work 30+ hours a week while in school to pay for tuition.

I couldn't care less who gets what now. If someone is coming from a family who combined makes less than 50k...then yeah I would agree they should have some kind of help. Although I believe that everyone should have access to funding because a family making a combined 60 or 70k isn't that much better off than a family making less than 50.
Why should the amount your family makes factor into it? The people going into post-secondary are adults like anyone else. What other program can you think of that factors in the amount of aid you get based on what other people make? If someone has parents that make over $50k but who swear they won't give the student a dime, are they then undeserving of aid?
The same way why those who make less than a certain amount basically get untaxed while those in the middle/upper tax brackets get taxed at a higher percentage. We're in a society that wants to give everything be a fair opportunity to succeed in life.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Piro21 wrote:
OldMarriedGuy wrote: I got zero handouts but was lucky to have some help from my parents.

I had to work 30+ hours a week while in school to pay for tuition.

I couldn't care less who gets what now. If someone is coming from a family who combined makes less than 50k...then yeah I would agree they should have some kind of help. Although I believe that everyone should have access to funding because a family making a combined 60 or 70k isn't that much better off than a family making less than 50.
Why should the amount your family makes factor into it? The people going into post-secondary are adults like anyone else. What other program can you think of that factors in the amount of aid you get based on what other people make? If someone has parents that make over $50k but who swear they won't give the student a dime, are they then undeserving of aid?
The same way why those who make less than a certain amount basically get untaxed while those in the middle/upper tax brackets get taxed at a higher percentage. We're in a society that wants to give everything be a fair opportunity to succeed in life.
You get taxed on your own income though, not that of your parents. It's not a direct comparison.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
I am all for supporting education but a free ride I am not supporting of.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: This is no different than OSAP grants back in the day... If your fam qualified you basically got the same deal. Grants covered the cost of tuition every year = free degree.
OSAP was on a scale and made different considerations. This is a different thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Another problem that I see with this is it perpetuates the "University if For Everyone, No Matter What You Want to Do in Life" argument. What if, for example, I want to go into a trade or general construction but need a pickup truck to carry my tools? Why should a university student get a $10000-$20000 grant for a degree but I can't get a $5000 grant to put a good down payment on a reliable used pickup truck?
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Another problem that I see with this is it perpetuates the "University if For Everyone, No Matter What You Want to Do in Life" argument. What if, for example, I want to go into a trade or general construction but need a pickup truck to carry my tools? Why should a university student get a $10000-$20000 grant for a degree but I can't get a $5000 grant to put a good down payment on a reliable used pickup truck?
you have a good point. do you get free tools right now?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
213 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Another problem that I see with this is it perpetuates the "University if For Everyone, No Matter What You Want to Do in Life" argument. What if, for example, I want to go into a trade or general construction but need a pickup truck to carry my tools? Why should a university student get a $10000-$20000 grant for a degree but I can't get a $5000 grant to put a good down payment on a reliable used pickup truck?
Agree 100%. I like young generation go for trades than degree. I think this is all because new immigrants are from Asia where Degree is better and working in any trade is shameful.
All type of government should encourage people to go for the trades.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
May 3, 2011
671 posts
90 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: yup... When I graduated I had almost 30k in osap debt. Minimum repayment was only like $150 a month or something but I upped it to $1500/month until it was paid off. Lived with roommates like a poor student, no vacations, no expensive purchases, nothing.

Now all these students today get it free and can take yearly vacations to europe right after graduating. It's bs :(

If their family is earning below 50k a year. They probably don't have the money for vacations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
jimmyonishi wrote:

If their family is earning below 50k a year. They probably don't have the money for vacations.
You'd be surprised lol

And just because the family makes under 50k, doesn't mean the kids graduating from university won't have money to travel.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 26, 2011
574 posts
400 upvotes
[/quote]

You'd be surprised lol

And just because the family makes under 50k, doesn't mean the kids graduating from university won't have money to travel.
[/quote]

Right, those kids might have worked, done COOP, saved their money, earned scholarships making their tuition basically free. Those damn kids travelling and things.
Sep 14, 2014
201 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i swear people these days whine so much. honestly you guys who complain about having to pay your univ tuitions are so annoying seriously get over it
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
I'm not asking for debt forgiveness, but existing borrowers should absolutely have interest rates suspended.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
I think that's a pretty weak argument. Your trade also requires education which would be similarly subsidized as the degree.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Syne wrote: I think that's a pretty weak argument. Your trade also requires education which would be similarly subsidized as the degree.
For the trades a lot of education is on-the-job apprenticeship, not in-class work. My point is that we're willing to pay for university education to help pay for people to have successful careers, but we're not willing to pay for non-education items that will have people have successful careers. Case in point the tradesperson or general construction worker. He doesn't need to have $20,000 in education subsidized by the gov't to follow his career path. He will probably need that truck, though, which he may not be able to initially afford.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)