• Apr 23rd, 2013 4:57 pm
Tags:
None
37 replies
May 2, 2012
437 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for posting that tsatsa. I'd entered my data in the uncertified version already and was looking forward to the certified version being released.

FYI: I used to pay for either UFile or TurboTax and decided to give StudioTax a shot this year. Entering my data in TurboTax Online and in StudioTax produces exactly the same result. Good enough for me - I'll save $20 per return this way.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2560 posts
443 upvotes
I ll see .. Maybe I ll give this StudioTax a shot also this year (instead of UFile online) ... Ufile, btw, wasn't $20 .. it's 15.95 + GST .. but i always managed to get 5 bucks off .. - so it was always for me: 10.95 + GST .. = 11 something :)

Question: After i do my return with StudioTax .. - can i delete StudioTax software from my HD (for example 2012 software) ... or do i NEED it on my HD, for the future return(s) (like for 2013 return and so on)?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2636 posts
1279 upvotes
Montreal
Darkman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 7:11 pm
I ll see .. Maybe I ll give this StudioTax a shot also this year (instead of UFile online)

Question: After i do my returen with StudioTax .. - can i delete StudioTax software from my HD (for example 2012 software) ... or do i NEED it on my HD, for the future return(s) (like for 2013 return and so on)?
You can keep your saved file so you can import it with another version of StudioTax. You can sure delete the main StudioTax software, you won't need it for doing 2013 return.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2560 posts
443 upvotes
bga.....

Is the "saved file" (that i can import with another version of StudioTax) ... is it a PDF file .. or some other file (belonging to StudioTax software only?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2560 posts
443 upvotes
ccyk,

Thanks..
Then i assume if i do taxes in StudioTax .. and save the file as .12t ... and then delete StudioTax software .. next year in StudioTax 2013 software i will be able to load .12t file also (if wanted / needed)?
May 5, 2006
587 posts
71 upvotes
Yes. You can also save PDF copies of the tax forms so that you're not completely dependent on the t-file..
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2560 posts
443 upvotes
Thanks .. YES.... PDF copies would be good to have, surely!

How do i save a PDF copy ... from within Tax sotware, i assume?
May 28, 2012
9032 posts
1580 upvotes
Saskatoon
I was just telling my husband about this software. What is in it for them to give it away for free? Do they sell an upgraded version? And the free one has advertising?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2560 posts
443 upvotes
If go to their web site .. - i think they say there .. that used to be NOT free .. but now they made it free ( unless i am mistaking them with another FREE one - www.genutax.ca - that used to charge for software .. but now made it FREE )

So those two are free.. and both of them, by the way, have an option there for Donation .. - if any of FREE users basically like the software ... and feel like donating to them, those people are welcome, SURELY .. for the future software development etc :)

Genu Tax: (the link is above) "GenuTax Standard software is now provided at no cost. However, if you do find the software to be useful, we ask that you make a modest donation to support costs associated with the continued development of GenuTax Standard software, as well as future annual tax updates."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1394 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
I am trying out Studio Tax. Questions for those having used it, where to enter:

- Safety Deposit Box rental fee.
- Carrying charges/interest expenses (for earning investment income).

Thanks.

Answer: Schedule 4 - III Carrying charges and interest expenses (see line 221 in the guide).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1394 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Another question, does Studio Tax include dependent child on the same data file, or the child needs his/her own data file? I used to use UFile, and my daughter's return was saved in the same data file for data entry. Later each family member got his/her own NetFile file from the single data file.
Thanks.
Feb 25, 2008
318 posts
12 upvotes
In past years I have bought ufile (including this year) but I thought I would download studio tax just to compare it. What I noticed was that studio tax did not have all the things that ufile had in the interview process. Where do you enter the "alternative minimum tax credit" number in studio tax? If you have to enter manually i most likely would not find the correct spot. With ufile, it was on the interview process, easy to find. In my opinion, studio tax would be nice for a simple return.
May 2, 2012
437 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
12th hour wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 4:02 am
In past years I have bought ufile (including this year) but I thought I would download studio tax just to compare it. What I noticed was that studio tax did not have all the things that ufile had in the interview process. Where do you enter the "alternative minimum tax credit" number in studio tax? If you have to enter manually i most likely would not find the correct spot. With ufile, it was on the interview process, easy to find. In my opinion, studio tax would be nice for a simple return.
I've had to use StudioTax's built in help function a few times but all the fields you need are present. Sometimes they're on a different tab or you'll need to check a box to add a new form.
× < >