Personal Finance

StudioTax 2012 - Certified edition

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2013 4:57 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 9, 2007
23 posts
I couldnt download the StudioTax 2012 software. I dont know why. could someone download it for me and send to huipeak@gmail.com,Thanks.
ccyk wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 2:51 pm
it is .11t file from last year. this year is .12t
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2705 posts
148 upvotes
Annoying that if you enter in RRSP contributions but tell studio tax not to claim them it doesn't automatically add a schedule 7 to report the contributions...
Jul 15, 2009
992 posts
217 upvotes
crimsondr wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2013 3:51 pm
Annoying that if you enter in RRSP contributions but tell studio tax not to claim them it doesn't automatically add a schedule 7 to report the contributions...
Yeah, I noticed that after I netfiled. Luckily, it did seem to have put those schedule 7 amounts in the netfile file, even though it didn't print out the form.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3592 posts
485 upvotes
Vancouver
So I just finished my return with StudioTax for the first time this year. I was very, very pleased with the experience. My return consisted of T4, T4A, T5, Capital Gains/Loss, Tuition, Charitable Donations, Transit Passes.

I thought that the wizard was great and fast (much quicker than TurboTax's) and covered all the essential T-forms. Anything extra and I loved the ease of accessing and adding specific forms and schedules to my return such as Capital Gains/Losses.

I think that you do need to understand the fundamentals of the tax return (forms, schedules, etc.) to enjoy taking advantage of StudioTax though because it isn't all wizard-based like TurboTax.

Only con? The PDF printed for my records was butt-ugly compared to the very neat TurboTax version. Whatever though, it's just for my records and the software was free.
Jun 6, 2008
404 posts
22 upvotes
Brampton
when i try using netfile, it asks for a .tax file. but Studio tax is only letting me save a .12f file. how do i get around this. what am i doing wrong
Jun 15, 2008
392 posts
20 upvotes
Abstracpoetic wrote:
Mar 8th, 2013 10:52 pm
when i try using netfile, it asks for a .tax file. but Studio tax is only letting me save a .12f file. how do i get around this. what am i doing wrong
In Studiotax, you need to click Netfile and it will convert a .tax file for you. After it's done, look at the window carefully for where the .tax file is located in your computer.
Oct 24, 2011
596 posts
142 upvotes
Timmins
I have a question about StudioTax (and other programs). If I do a return for someone, can I then email the .tax file to him, and can he then netfile the .tax file without StudioTax (or other program)?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1430 posts
111 upvotes
sierra112 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2013 9:55 am
I have a question about StudioTax (and other programs). If I do a return for someone, can I then email the .tax file to him, and can he then netfile the .tax file without StudioTax (or other program)?
They won't be able to open the file to double check the numbers but yes they can use a file you email them to use for NETFILE once you've in put the numbers in using any software.
Feb 11, 2004
260 posts
18 upvotes
Kamloops
I would also email the PDF to him, so he can double check the return if he wants, and also to keep for his records.
Oct 24, 2011
596 posts
142 upvotes
Timmins
Thanks, I was also going to send him the PDF to look at before I finalize the return.
Feb 11, 2013
67 posts
1 upvote
Newcastle
Is it really 100% free? If so, how is studio tax making any money or benefiting from offering this free service?
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you prove that you don't need it." -Bob Hope
"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." -Franklin Jones
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1867 posts
80 upvotes
cloudsfx wrote:
Mar 11th, 2013 2:14 am
Is it really 100% free? If so, how is studio tax making any money or benefiting from offering this free service?
Yes, it is free for the first 20 returns, I have been using it for the last 3 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1867 posts
80 upvotes
Now, CRA want us to file online. CRA claim that it is 4x cheaper for them. I think it is about time they (CRA) should provide us with a free copy of the tax software.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4806 posts
1044 upvotes
Montreal
tsatsa wrote:
Mar 11th, 2013 7:15 am
Now, CRA want us to file online. CRA claim that it is 4x cheaper for them. I think it is about time they (CRA) should provide us with a free copy of the tax software.
makes sense
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2336 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
To compare my return with turbo tax. Studio tax gave me pretty much the exact same return (off by $1.00) so for those of you with relatively simple returns you can easily trust the program.
× < >