9 upvotes
Toronto
Good info; thanks for the links.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1665 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
llbgal, great articles you found!! Thanks!

Now, it makes me really nervous about using Avent bottles as they're not on the safe list.

Also, I sterilize the bottles everytime before use with those steam sterilizer (so heat speed up the leakage of the harmful chemical, bisphenol-A) and reheat the milk in electric baby food warmer (again, speed up and increase the amount of leakage to the milk).
Aug 11, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
:confused: :confused: :confused: I have been reading a lot about plastics these last few days. I want to try to replace ds's sippy cup -- sadly -- I don't know where I stand! We have started using glass/ceramic at home during meals -- but not sure what to do at bedside. SIGG bottles are aluminum (ick) BUT the bottle liner apparently ensures no aluminum will leach. Then there are also stainess steel (Klean Kanteen) BUT apparently SS isn't that great either b/c it can leach nickel. :eek:

So -- I am not sure if I should just keep using my #5 PP -- as it is apparently a "safer" plastic.... <sigh>
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1665 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
How about wood bottles, wood cups, wood toys, etc ....

I'm so terrified to see all those articles that says plastic bottles by big reputable companies are not safe. It's so frustrating.

I am now starting to give my little one cold milk (or as close as room temperature as possible) as suppose to heat it up in the bottle warmer ... lucky she takes it.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3494 posts
493 upvotes
Markham
ayeung wrote:
Mar 15th, 2007 12:30 pm
How about wood bottles, wood cups, wood toys, etc ....

I'm so terrified to see all those articles that says plastic bottles by big reputable companies are not safe. It's so frustrating.

I am now starting to give my little one cold milk (or as close as room temperature as possible) as suppose to heat it up in the bottle warmer ... lucky she takes it.
Some wood is just food for all kinds for spores, and bacteria. So I don't think that's any better unless its properly treated, but then you have to worry about the treated layer coming off and being consumed.

I was watching a show on the food network and they had a segment on "corn plastic" which is biodegradable, unlike all the other plastics. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see a baby bottle being made form this material because the bottle will probably fall apart when you apply heat to sterilize it. And who knows what other problems this material may have.

http://biotaspringwater.com/bottle
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1717 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
No doubt about it; it's a very inconvenient issue, but I'm committed to doing what's right for our kids. Most likely we'll end up getting some PP #5 bottles from Medela, as we already have a Medela breast pump with bottles. However, we may also go with a typical bottle with drop-ins.
Aug 11, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
I found this website for those of you looking for baby bottles or baby bottle type sippy's.

http://www.newbornfree.com/Catalog.aspx?categoryid=8756

My son is 3 and he never drank from baby bottles so has never liked that type of sippy -- he likes the rubbermaid type with the straw. They are #5 PP -- so, I think, at this point, that will be what we continue with.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1665 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
Is PP#5 really better? I just checked that those plastic containers I got from dollar store are also pp#5 ...!

I wonder if it's equally safe to use those from dollar store than getting those expensive milk storage bottles/sippy confused: ?
Aug 11, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
ayeung wrote:
Mar 16th, 2007 10:49 am
Is PP#5 really better? I just checked that those plastic containers I got from dollar store are also pp#5 ...!

I wonder if it's equally safe to use those from dollar store than getting those expensive milk storage bottles/sippy confused: ?
I don't really know if there is a "good" plastic -- refer to the article I posted before:

http://www.thegreenguide.com/reports/pr ... d=44&sec=3

I have seen similar info. on other sites as well. I think that what we are faced with is a dilemma... do you choose plastic that could leach something, stainless steel that could leach something or aluminum with a lining that, to me, could still leach?? Or do you go with glass that while it does not leach can be inconvenient at times (e.g. schools not allowing glass; breakable; if there is a lid more for a toddler to undo in the middle of the night... etc. etc.)

The PP #5 may not leach BPA -- but, I have certainly noticed that water tastes/smells funny if it is in those bottles for any length of time.

We are not going to put ANY plastics in the dishwasher from now on and I am going to replace the current sippy's I have. The other thing I have been reading is that most of those plastic bottles should be replaced frequently.

Does anyone know if stainless steel leaches nickel if ONLY water is in it??
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1665 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
So, nothing is really safe or good to use ... how sad esp when I look at my baby and sorry, I don't even know how to feed you.

Anyone know if sterilizing plastic bottles (both pp# 5 or non pp#5) will leak the toxic into the water/steam residual in the bottle? Then, should I sterilize them? If I do sterilize them, how long will the toxic remain in the bottle before I use? I bought the sterilizer and bottle warmer a month ago for $200 + and I guess now they are just worthless.
Aug 11, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
ayeung wrote:
Mar 16th, 2007 11:58 am
So, nothing is really safe or good to use ... how sad esp when I look at my baby and sorry, I don't even know how to feed you.

Anyone know if sterilizing plastic bottles (both pp# 5 or non pp#5) will leak the toxic into the water/steam residual in the bottle? Then, should I sterilize them? If I do sterilize them, how long will the toxic remain in the bottle before I use? I bought the sterilizer and bottle warmer a month ago for $200 + and I guess now they are just worthless.
I completely understand how you are feeling... however, I think what you should try to do is just the best you can with the information we have. :|

It's really difficult when there is not an obvious right choice.

Clearly this whole bottle thing makes me realize even more that breast truly is best... but, I am sure we have toxins inside us that are getting passed along too!

If it were my baby and I was bottle feeding... I would like get those "born free" bottles at least it is known that BPA is not in them... as for sterilizing... I would either follow the instructions on the bottle or look into which is worse for degrading plastic. My own thought would be that dishwashers would be the worst... (even if you boil... it is not for that long)... there are electric sterilizers too....

Not really helpful... I know... I don't know that there is a great choice...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3494 posts
493 upvotes
Markham
llbgal wrote:
Mar 16th, 2007 12:19 pm
I completely understand how you are feeling... however, I think what you should try to do is just the best you can with the information we have. :|

It's really difficult when there is not an obvious right choice.

Clearly this whole bottle thing makes me realize even more that breast truly is best... but, I am sure we have toxins inside us that are getting passed along too!

If it were my baby and I was bottle feeding... I would like get those "born free" bottles at least it is known that BPA is not in them... as for sterilizing... I would either follow the instructions on the bottle or look into which is worse for degrading plastic. My own thought would be that dishwashers would be the worst... (even if you boil... it is not for that long)... there are electric sterilizers too....

Not really helpful... I know... I don't know that there is a great choice...
I think if you search hard enough you find lots of articles about why X is bad, including breast feeding. One issue is that because of the toxins in our modern environment in our bodies, the baby will get a concentrated dosage.

This one is an interesting read.

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2005/To ... 9jan05.htm
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Aug 11, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
Jonavin wrote:
Mar 16th, 2007 12:53 pm
I think if you search hard enough you find lots of articles about why X is bad, including breast feeding. One issue is that because of the toxins in our modern environment in our bodies, the baby will get a concentrated dosage.

This one is an interesting read.

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2005/To ... 9jan05.htm
Thanks Jonavin... that WAS a great read! I think it reinforces my point, and yours, that you simply have to choose the best of the bunch for you personally. As with the author of that article, I choose to bf my daughter (and previously with my son) because I believe that when you list all the pros and cons, for me, bf wins out.

I think the same rational approach has to be taken with plastics. Do your best. Eliminate where you can and what you feel comfortable with. I have been researching plastics, aluminum, stainless steel sippy's for days... and at the end of it all -- I honestly feel like it might be 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1717 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind that drop-ins are very much a viable solution. They also mean less frequent washing of bottles and (I'm fairly certain) less gas issues.

There is no longer any serious debate regarding the superiority of breast milk, is there? Not from informed people, I wouldn't expect. There's obviously no such thing as 100% pure breast milk, but it's still undoubtably the best option for the child by a mile. (Of course, I realize not all women are able to breastfeed for one reason or another.)