• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 8:21 am
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Stuffed animal repair

I gave my son my stuffed dog when he was born 9 years ago. I've had the dog since I was a baby and my son loves it, he sleeps with it every night. I've changed the stuffing and repaired what I could many times. Unfortunately, over the years it has been worn down and needs professional repair. Does anyone know anywhere to get this done? Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3630 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a friend or a coworker (or the spouse of a friend or a coworker) who is into sewing, knitting, etc? They usually have the tools and skills needed.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I know some people that can sew a bit, but not the greatest. If it was just the seems that needed fixing, that wouldn't be a big deal. There are a few bald spots and that could use some patching up.
Jun 11, 2006
149 posts
120 upvotes
In my area (not Toronto) we have a local Facebook group where sellers market their handcrafted goods. For example, there's someone who makes bears using fabric from sentimental clothing.

Perhaps you can find someone like that? You might find someone at craft shows, or even on Kijiji.

Edited:. Like this? https://www.facebook.com/groups/toronto.crafts
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll look closer to where I live (Caledon), but I'm good to go anywhere to get him repaired.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8769 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Since its an important stuffy, ya, go find a group of "grandmas" that actually would care about it.

Instead of some shop, that may not treat it with the care / respect that it needs.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
Agree with the facebook group. Find someone who can stitch this stuff up who's into the craft.
Mar 22, 2011
585 posts
115 upvotes
Hey OP, if you happen to find someone, come back and let us know! I'm curious how it turned out in the end.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I reached out to a few Facebook sewing groups and found a company in Georgetown that I liked. We dropped him off last week Friday and we are waiting for the call to say he is ready for pick up. My son is really worried and keeps asking if they called. I should have taken "before" pictures, but honestly, I was pretty worried myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8769 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
I send best wishes!

Honestly speaking, he's 9yr old now? this is old enough to not put "that" much emphasis on a stuffy toy. Like, yes, i would care about it, but not to the point of being worried. its not a dog, cat, pet going into surgery here.

If he gets worried for a stuffy, imagine the emotions he will have later in case Mom, Dad, Sister actually got a sickness and have to go to surgery or have long term effects? This child may not be able to function from being so worried.

I'm not trying to diminish your/his feelings, but still need to keep things in perspective.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Wow, that was an unexpected response. I won't respond to your incredibly ignorant assumption that my son won't be able to emotionally handle life because he was worried about something that he loves. I found it sweet and made me smile when we went as a family to pick him up.

Thank you to those who were helpful in fixing my problem.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
28 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Overall, we are happy. He looks great and glad they re-stuffed him.